2018-09-18 21:39:51 (edited by jameskyle 2018-09-18 21:41:37)

Hello everyone! I'm here to let you all know that Audiogame Jam is back for it's third year this October 12th - 21st!

About Audiogame Jam 3
Audiogame Jam is a game jam inviting game developers to make and submit a game prototype that can be played without sight. In keeping with the game jam format the games should be created during the jam period and submitted before it ends.

The event is run to raise awareness of accessibility barriers to gaming faced by the blind and VI community, to encourage game developers to consider accessibility issues in their development process, and to raise money for the UK-based sight loss charity The Royal National Institute of Blind People.

What to expect:
Around 10 or more game prototypes in various formats, genres and styles designed to be playable without sight, downloadable and playable for free from the Audiogame Jam 3 website.

How can I get involved?
The Audiogame Jam 3 game jam page is hosted by the indie game development platform GameJolt. Anyone with a GameJolt account can submit a game to Audiogame Jam 3 by uploading a game to their GameJolt page with #AudiogameJame3 somewhere in the game's description.

For others there are opportunities to work with developers as a game tester or design consultant to help ensure the final submission is fully accessible to its intended audience. This is an important role as the majority of participants are sighted and unlikely to have any experience of developing for an audience of blind gamers. Sharing your experience and insight can make a huge difference.

Where can I find out more?
For more information on Audiogame Jam 3 please visit the jam's GameJolt page.
Information on previous Audiogame Jams please visit AudiogameJam.org.
One of the main goals of the event is to raise money for RNIB. Donations can be made easily and securely through the Audiogame Jam JustGiving page.
Follow Audiogame Jam on Twitter at @MakeAudiogames.

I hope this covers everything. If anyone here has any questions then please feel free to ask.

2018-09-19 01:06:23

O, nice initiative.
Thanks for share it with us, I'll see if i can partisipate.
Thanks!

2018-09-19 18:17:12

Nice, it's back!
I like how this has become a sort of successor to the "Experimental Audio Games" area that used to be updated every year for around four years, and the audiogame jams have brought that vibe back. I wonder what sorts of things we will get this year!

2018-09-21 02:41:00 (edited by defender 2018-09-21 02:53:39)

Wooo! can't wait to see this years submissions! I still play Escape Beat... And The forest that lost it's voice was really cool!
So was the sheep on an island game, forget the name, it just wasn't very intuitive.
I'd like to help with finding/integrating free sounds for people, and giving testing feedback or ideas, but not really sure how. the teams page doesn't seem to have any of those rolls listed but you mentioned that it was needed...

2018-09-22 05:26:20

Bump

2018-09-22 12:42:18

The previous Audiogame Jam games are all still online and available to download. If you're curious as to what to expect from Jam 3 these should give you a good idea.

Audiogame Jam 2 from last year saw 14 game submissions. You'll also find a link on the main page to a Spanish language jam held in Gran Canaria.

Audiogame Jam 1 had 16 submissions, though quite a few of these had basic accessibility issues and one, Twinkle, no longer works due to a necessary server being unavailable.

2018-09-23 00:05:25 (edited by defender 2018-09-23 08:17:31)

Do you have a response for post 4?
I'm not sure if I should even be worrying about this until the jam actually starts, or if I'm allowed to help out before then. Either way I'd rather know what I'm doing right away...

2018-09-23 07:23:05

Well its good to see this back out.
Sadly I will not be able to do the last day or 2 of the jam on the 20th nz so probably the 19th of october us time I will be going away for a couple weeks.
Thought long and hard about being a judge or helping someone test things with the above stipulations, I won't be able to make the last 2 days of the jam certainly the last day of the jam.
I'd like to help though test, judge, something.
I have always wandered if I could contribute in some way I am not a programmer or anything.
Next year maybe I can stay for the entire thing but I can stick round for 99% of the entire jam just not the final 24 hours or so.
Would I still be usefull to anyone.
I will have to contend with win10 latest updates on the network which may take a few hours out but otherwise I should be free, I estimate most mondays, every nz night from 7 onward and maybe a few times in the middle.

2018-09-23 15:29:58

defender wrote:

Do you have a response for post 4?
I'm not sure if I should even be worrying about this until the jam actually starts, or if I'm allowed to help out before then. Either way I'd rather know what I'm doing right away...

I'll be redirecting people from Twitter and various other social media channels I'm promoting AGJ3 on to this thread if they're looking for people to work with, and spcifically to anyone I know of who has indicated an interest in partnering with someone here to help ensure their game is accessible.

Last year this didn't start happening until the last week before the start of the jam so I wouldn't worry too much about there not being anyone yet taking you up on your offer to help. When people do start asking you'll be the first person I refer them to.

@crashmaster, I'll keep you in mind too if anyone is looking for advice, testing, etc. There are likely to be people taking part that would want to submit early anyway for similar reasons to you so it may work out quite nicely. I suppose we'll see.

2018-09-23 15:39:13 (edited by defender 2018-09-23 15:42:05)

Gotcha, just remind them about the anti spam measure we have (the restricted period where you need to post in the intro thread) so they don't get frustrated and give up on it.
You can also feel free to give out my info directly: skype "superfreq2" and email address "[email protected]".
Again I can help with free sound and music resources, explaining the related licensing, some basic sound effects mixing, (I don't do music production unfortunately) ideas, and testing.
Thanks for the response, and it's an awesome thing your doing! It's very much appreciated... And in such a small community, your effort has a huge impact!