2018-09-19 03:25:41

Hello all,

I'm wondering for you Android users what phones you would recommend?  From my understanding, Samsung has a screen reader of their own called Voice Assistant -- so Samsung devices are equipped with VA and, by extension of it being Android OS, Talkback.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I posted a thread some time ago inquiring about Android devices, but not about phones per se.

Apple's new phone lines are getting unwieldy for my bank account, and am looking to more affordable options.

Best,

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2018-09-19 04:30:20

The Samsung Galaxy A phones may be a good pick if you want something cheaper, mid-range devices. I've also heard good things about Motorola, but never had any of those myself. The galaxy S8 or S9 are good, but expensive.
Sorry I don't have more info, lol.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-09-19 05:11:21

I heard the s7 is is a good choice. We're triing to get one for myself. I'd recommend not going though verizon since they charge way above MSRP. If you Must use VW as your service, it might be a good idea to look for the phone from a third party, then set it up with them after buying the phone.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2018-09-19 12:05:35 (edited by pulseman45 2018-09-19 12:10:31)

Samsung devices indeed have their own Screen Reader and you can still install Talkback via the PlayStore if you wish. If having another screen reader is important to you, beware the Galaxy J devices as some of them don't have Voice Assistant, for example it's the case with one of my friend's Galaxy J3.
If you don't mind getting only Talkback, Nokia devices are also good, though I believe the only one available in your country is the Nokia 6.1, it is quite fine unless you are not interested in mid-range phones.
The essential phone would have been interesting, as I believe you can find it under the $300 mark, but it might not stay updated for very long. Plus it comes with Android Nougât out of the box and I am not totally sure you would be able to set it up without sighted help. The fact it is very unlikely to sea another Essential Phone someday is a bummer, really.