2018-09-16 17:23:34 (edited by Jaseoffire 2018-09-18 20:29:51)

Hello.
I'm looking to get my hands on a MIDI keyboard one of these days. I've found one that looks interesting, but I don't know if any of you can vouche for things such as accessibility and that sort of thing. If not, would there be any that you would recommend? The one I'm looking at is the Arturia KeyLab mkII 61 Keyboard Controller - Black

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2018-09-18 19:38:51

Midi keyboards are genrally plug and play if they are USB compatible.   It's worth noting that  there's not a whole lot to most midi devices, unless they have a built in  control surface for your DAW.  I use a Yamaha YPG-235, which is a 76 key workstation with midi capibility, and touch/velocity sensitive keys, and a pitch bend wheel.  I had to download and install the driver, but after that it's really easy to use, as are most midi keystations of any kind.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-09-18 20:28:38

Although, now that I am thinking, I should probably fix the name of this topic. I'm after a controller. I don't need the thing to have an internal sound module of its own, just the ability to control software synths and the what not from something other than my standard keyboard.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2018-09-18 21:09:32 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2018-09-18 21:11:29)

well, the only thing i have used (thanks to friends i have) close to a decently sized one is the m audio oxygen ones. They work decently and have a lot of customizations available, some of them have assignable knobs and also faders so for mixing the would be interesting things. Since i can use my keyboards as controllers I usually just don't bother getting a big one, though I had bought a smaller 32 key one from m audio called the key station mini.. it just has the keys, a single assignable knob, a few assignable buttons and that is it. But its great for quickly having small ideas and using virtual instruments in a pinch..or in a hurry or on the go (family trips come to mind here)
because most virtual midi keyboard software is just terrible. This one fits in the same backpack as my laptop and I can program the sustain button either in momentary mode or in toggle mode. So its really nice for that kind of things. Right, due to its compact size the key station mini has no screen at all, just leds and thus its totally accessible to program and set up. You do have to sort of go back and forth in the manual to find what you want but if you reorganize the info in a text file with the functions of the keys its just a snap to do anything.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-09-19 01:21:56

I also have the keystation mini, and the keystation 88. Both have no screens so have no accessibility issues. Everything's done on the softsynth end.