2018-09-14 22:15:14 (edited by flackers 2018-09-14 22:16:35)

If you only had 150 skillpoints, where would you put them? A lot of them seem to do similar things, but which is best. Like would you boost your health or strengthen the effectiveness of your armour etc.

2018-09-14 22:53:39

That depends on your setup.
I'd put 40 in speed, then 110 points in high armor if I am Waring high armor, or you can put the points in low armor or medium armor, as you wish.
If you want to put your points in low or medium armor though, you'd need lots of points to spend.
Then, go for health or devide the remaining points between your health and one of the weapons you usually use.

or you can split the remaining points between hp and recovery.

2018-09-15 05:55:20

Thought you could only put 70 in high armor?
But with no armor on or none that slows you down, 30 speed is the point at which all your side and forward backward movement speed are all equal.
You still have to factor in the hammer though which slows you down and is a commonly used weapon, so 40 speed may or may not be enough.
I'd max speed and high armor my self which puts you at 130, then I'd put 20 in health and worry about recovery when it gets to be a real problem for me, but since you can make allot of money from missions easily, you can just buy a bunch of field kits and use sacrifice if shit hits the fan anyway.
I wish recovery did more for the points you spend on it though...
I tend to switch stuff around sometimes though anyway, and at lvl150 things still aren't too bad with full high or medium armor, so I may sometimes drop that 20 in health and put it in shotgun, melee, or assault rifle instead, then use the AA12, hammer, or ak47 to do some murdering for a bit.

2018-09-15 06:00:10

Yeah, that's what I am saying, 40 in speed, max high armor with 70 points, and the remaining points can be put either in a weapon or or can be split between hp and recovery.
Then again, this is only if he is Waring high armor, if he is wearing medium or low he gonna need more points for armor and less points for splitting up between hp and recovery.
It all comes down to preference.

2018-09-15 12:11:33 (edited by flackers 2018-09-15 12:13:49)

This was more a general question about what experienced players think is wise when points are limited, rather than specific to my personal needs. Just wondered if there were a common consensus about the effectiveness of certain areas that result in the same outcome. Health and armour both result in it taking longer to hit zero and die, but do people think boosting one is slightly more advantageous than the other. On the other hand, is it better to quieten footsteps or boost elusiveness, as both have a similar aim. And there's a few melee stats that all result in a player being more effective in that area. I mean there is some solid maths behind all this. I even wondered if anyone had actually worked it out when they had to be selective about where their points should go.
As for my opinion on one area... I didn't notice a great deal of difference between 30 and 40 speed, so when limited, those 10 points probably have more benefit as 20 health points than 10 speed. This is because whenever I've died in a swarm, it's been more a case of being unable to hear my radar or footsteps, and can't find the direction to get me out of the corner I'm in, rather than not being able to run fast enough. I tried lowering the vollume of the zombie growls and attacks, but it just made them seem farther away than they actually were, and I didn't like that, so I returned them to their defaults.
That's another area I'm interested in: how people have modified volumes in order to gain an advantage of some sort. I personally have just normalised the wall and impassable radar, and the quest wav. That is to say I've normalised the actual wav file rather than boosted the volume in the txt file. I find the latter just makes things seem nearer or farther away than they actually are.

2018-09-15 12:37:24 (edited by defender 2018-09-15 12:39:01)

More experienced players often have their own opinions on which skills are worth the points and which aren't, but they tend to argue among them selves about it anyway so I'd say test it out your self and form your own ideas.
But for me it honestly changes depending on what yI'm planning on doing, that's why the /reset command is so damn useful.
If I know I'm going to do some newbie missions with no deathbringers e.g. the newbies might actually learn something rather than just sitting in the truck doing nothing for 15 to 20 minutes, than I'll put my sneak up and that will help me avoid leading them in when I have to get near openings.
For all missions speed is useful, but with lower level ones, armor and health isn't as important as long as your running something reasonable and you've been playing for a while.
If I'm going to go looting and I don't care about loudness, I'd suggest not doing this on maps like 3, 4, and sub1 until your quite experienced with the game, then I'll raise up a weapon or 2, armor, and speed and go hunting, but if I'd rather not fight my way through every 60 seconds in a place like map4, map3, or sub 1, than I'll max out sneak, elusive, melee pistols or bows, and speed, and not worry much about hp or armor.
I'm not that good with the flamethrower, but for those that are, it can be very useful in deathbringer missions, so armor, speed, health, recovery, and flamethrower extended and combustion mastery if I have the points are the orders of the day, with no thought to sneak or elusive as deathbrings ignore that anyway.
If I'm going to go fight raiders on map 5, I'm going to raise my hp allot, put a moderate amount of points in recovery, max out my armor, and speed, and my skill with a scoped weapon since it cuts right through the confusion caused by incoming fire and lets you zero in on their positions with ease. My preference is the Aug do to it's speed and capacity, but you'll need allot more points for the same amount of damage as something like the Remington would give you. If you want you could also put some in sneak but I'm not sure how effective that is with raiders.
if I want to be a better team member especially around newbies, I'd raise my light armor skill to the max along with my speed, sneak, elusive, hp, melee, big kit, and recovery, so that I can wear things like the doctors coat and running gear without being defenseless, though obviously that wouldn't help in a db mission, but is pretty useful in a place like sub1.
However I don't have running gear or enough points to do this fully as of yet, but I've done it with allies in missions and in part when helping players with scary maps.

Honestly I think that volumes.txt is just a way of cheating, at least when it comes to zombie growls, lowering footsteps to 0 which I think you can do in game as well, and lowering hit sounds. people try to justify it but their arguments never really hit home for me.
If something is particularly loud that really shouldn't be, Kai can [probably fix it in an update, but people just use it to run around in the warehouse with a shield and maybe a flamethrower, collecting crates in silence, essentially playing super egg hunt.
Yes, it does require skill to an extent, but after a while it's literally just running in circles while newbies trucksit and gain tons of levels for no work, leading to them actually being allot worse at the game do to inexperience in the long run.
I've said this a few times but every time I do I get skinned alive for it, and I think it's because when Swamp was basically dead for several months, people were just giving newbies a big boost in order to let them experience the game and get their moneys worth before the thing went offline completely, which is understandable, but that's just not the situation now.