2018-09-14 22:03:46

Hi. I've heard that foobar player can subscribe to any podcast. Do I need to download a plugin in order for it to work? And I'm wondering also. Other players can play folder when you select the folder and right click on it, there's this option called, play using windows media player, add to vlc, something like that. But it seems like I can't do it with foobar. Let me know if foobar users found a way to do it. Best regards

2018-09-14 22:15:23

It's been a long time since I installed it, and since I don't use Foobar as my default player, I don't recall, but didn't it give you an option while installing to create context menu entries? If so, and even if you unchecked the boxes at the time or they were by default, you could always use CCleaner to see if you can get them back.

It's funny this topic was created, though, because I also have a question about that podcast downloading plugin. It's called FooPodcatcher, and you can probably find it through a quick Google search.

My question is about getting podcasts to download once you've subscribed. Say I want to subscribe to five podcasts, and I want to download all the episodes that are available for each one. Great, I can do that, except for two problems. The first is that it tends to want to give all the files the same name, media being the most common. However, I can't find an option to make it automatically rename them, so I can only download one at a time, because it just asks if I want to overwrite the original file.

The other issue I have is in the way it sorts things. It sorts the episodes by most recent, which usually isn't a problem, but it doesn't break it down by each individual podcast. So you get a whole mix of different podcasts and their episodes. Is there a way to change that?

I really want this to work, because I can't find any other way to batch download podcasts reliably these days, and from what I saw, this plugin downloaded stuff amazingly fast and wasn't buggy as hell like some other podcatchers I could mention.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-09-14 22:23:28

Hello there,

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your first question, but to achieve the presence of foobar in explorer context menues, you must go to the following setting:
- Press ctrl+p inside foobar, that brings you the preferences menu - in the tree view choose Shell integration
- tick the box called "folder context menues"
- it might also help you that you won't see Foobar come to front whenever you try to play a file. Tick the "bring to front when adding new files"

hth
Rok

2018-09-14 23:10:43 (edited by Slender 2018-09-14 23:12:04)

Regarding sorting podcasts, you can go in to the podcatcher feed manager, located in the view menu, and when you find the podcast you're looking for, right click it and select Create playlist (1 item). The podcast will now appear in a playlist named podcatcher: podcast name.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2018-09-14 23:52:15

Ah, thanks for that, now if only I could get all of them to download without it throwing a fit because all the files are supposedly the same name.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-09-15 02:49:10

Unlikely, but they might be. It might depend on the podcast. See what the name is in the details tab of properties.

2018-09-15 07:02:15

@rok.mulec
I go to foobar preferences and go to shell integration and check those things you mentioned above. But when I right click to a folder that has some media files, I still can't find what I'm looking for...
Speaking of podcatcher, someone told me that i have to pay for it. I'm curious. Is it true?

2018-09-15 07:17:40 (edited by Slender 2018-09-15 07:20:36)

No. There are no paid Foobar2000 components as far as I know.

2018-09-15 07:40:27

AH I see. I was thinking if that thing called podcatcher is a different application but no i t's not. It's a foobar plug-in. But I am having trouble getting a download link of the dll file because I can't find it on there website. But the link of the podcatcher is there but no download link

2018-09-15 07:44:11

Ah lol, nevermind, sorry for double posting. I find the link, I just have to go to the discussion to get the link lol

2018-09-15 15:12:04

yeah the link on the official component page has been dead for a while and you have to go to hydrogen audio to get it. Regarding the folder thing, it actually depends on what kind of files you have in the folder, which I find quite annoying. Sometimes it shows up and other times it doesn't, and if you have mixed media formats you're all but lost. Regarding download file names, you are supposed to use title formatting strings for the filename, I used %artist%\%title%. For iTunes podcasts you get a bunch of hex names and you'll want file operations to mass rename them. I've found QCast is a bit more reliable in downloading the podcast I've tried, we're alive. I don't listen to podcasts really. But QCast is paid so yeah.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2018-09-15 18:25:00

Ok, thanks. Where do I go to tell it to use those formatting strings?

2018-09-17 02:40:17

prefs>tools>podcatcher

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2018-09-21 07:02:13

Hi. I have a question again. It seems like I am having trouble knowing whether that podcast is already downloaded. I go to podcatcher downloader manager and I can find the file that's being download, however there's this status called cued. How would I know the percentage of the file? And what does cued status means?