2018-08-02 23:59:11

Man. These things sound very intriguing. Right now I have a 15.6 Dell Inspiron 5577 that is my main laptop. I'm thinking of waiting a year or 2 to see how far these things come along. I have had the 2 in 1 computers and was not too pleased with the low powered processors but was pleased with the I7 U series of processors. Do these laptops perform like the i7 U processors or more like the low-end Pentiums or atoms? Just curious. I have wanted to have a decently powerful and pocketable windows computer for years now and it looks like that dream is now coming true.

Thumbs up

2018-08-03 00:24:59

austingrace wrote:

Man. These things sound very intriguing. Right now I have a 15.6 Dell Inspiron 5577 that is my main laptop. I'm thinking of waiting a year or 2 to see how far these things come along. I have had the 2 in 1 computers and was not too pleased with the low powered processors but was pleased with the I7 U series of processors. Do these laptops perform like the i7 U processors or more like the low-end Pentiums or atoms? Just curious. I have wanted to have a decently powerful and pocketable windows computer for years now and it looks like that dream is now coming true.

Yea, this thing will easily crush those standard shitty 2 in 1 machines. Easily. For one, most normal two in ones don't even accomodate wintows that good. Using firefox is miserable. I had to fix one up for my mother's friend's kid, windows took up all of the storage, she had no space for anything else. Installed a tweaked windows 10 and it was useable Far from practical IMO, especially from what she wanted. But the win 2 kills every single two in one I've used. I've done some browsing on it, some youtube on it, skype, it's all just as snappy as it would be on my macbook with bootcamp. Literally. It also helps that I've trimmed the hell out of windows 10 to get rid of all the garbage but even before I did that it ran fine.. As comparing it to the i7 in your laptop, i'd look up benchmarks for that cpu and compare it to the m3y730 in the Win 2. But I also count graphical performance because we still need to worry about that a little bit even though it's more audio for us. I can only compare it to the main Windows 10 machine I use, which is just a boot camped MBP mid 2015 15', and for most things it's not far off. Theirs some things I haven't thrown at it yet though, like ps3 emulation, i'm waiting for MGS4 before I really dive into that. But you could definitely use the win2 as a productivity/content consuming device.

Crimson Underground

2018-08-03 00:30:51

See now I really really want one of these just to check it out... I can't justify the price tag to myself though since I'm nowhere near power user level like you seem to be, and I'd basically just be using it as a standard computer and playing steam games.

"I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
guards, skyrim

Thumbs up

2018-08-03 02:11:07

BlindNinja wrote:

See now I really really want one of these just to check it out... I can't justify the price tag to myself though since I'm nowhere near power user level like you seem to be, and I'd basically just be using it as a standard computer and playing steam games.

It's all up to each individual person IMO. Me, I bought it because i knew I could use it kind of like a convertable and turn it into a windows desktop with a usb hub, so I could delete windows off of my MBP. Also I felt like the kind of devices this could inspire down the line made it worth picking the Win 2 up and I can't wait to see what a Win 3 would look and perform like.

Crimson Underground

2018-08-03 03:32:04

Yeah, that I can understand. And I do want one... but the thing's almost a thousand in Canada. Or at least, so says Amazon.

"I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
guards, skyrim

Thumbs up

2018-08-03 03:44:08

BlindNinja wrote:

Yeah, that I can understand. And I do want one... but the thing's almost a thousand in Canada. Or at least, so says Amazon.

Try looking on aliexpress On aliexpress you can order direct from GPD. That's if comfortable ordering from somewhere outside of amazon. If not, I'm sure it'll go down eventually..

Crimson Underground

2018-08-03 05:50:49

Hello. Thanks for the feedback. As of right now, I'm not justified to buy this computer because the Inspiron is only 13 months old and has plenty of use left in it. This computer has the Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
in it. If I was making more money I'd check it out but $715 is a bit steep right now. Amazon has it for like $845 or so. Again, I'd like to see what they do for the third version of it but it seems like something I could live with. I mainly browse the web, word processing, youtube, audio production, audio gaming and mainstream gaming on my computers. Heck my 7 year old optiplex 790 fits my needs perfectly as well.

Thumbs up

2018-08-03 05:59:05

austingrace wrote:

Hello. Thanks for the feedback. As of right now, I'm not justified to buy this computer because the Inspiron is only 13 months old and has plenty of use left in it. This computer has the Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
in it. If I was making more money I'd check it out but $715 is a bit steep right now. Amazon has it for like $845 or so. Again, I'd like to see what they do for the third version of it but it seems like something I could live with. I mainly browse the web, word processing, youtube, audio production, audio gaming and mainstream gaming on my computers. Heck my 7 year old optiplex 790 fits my needs perfectly as well.

I pretty much felt the same way you do about the Win 1 when I heard about it. Minus the admittedly steep price. I'm also curious as to what the future of these types of devices will be. It seems like the law of diminishing returns is slowly making more limiting formfactors able to have near equal power of larger ones.

Crimson Underground

2018-08-03 16:20:56

Good to know that the keyboard will work. I was thinking of buying attachments for it if I needed them in the future also. The online teaching job I was looking at said I would need an external mic or headset because they don't want any external noise, so the only thing extra I would need to by would be a camera, but having a computer with a detachable camera is something I like anyways. I could always just use my Mac for that job though. I wonder if they are holding LTE off for the next version. I could see it being useful especially in a small device like this, but as I never have big data plans, I wouldn't be able to get much use out of it.

Thumbs up

2018-08-03 21:18:17

arcadia wrote:

Good to know that the keyboard will work. I was thinking of buying attachments for it if I needed them in the future also. The online teaching job I was looking at said I would need an external mic or headset because they don't want any external noise, so the only thing extra I would need to by would be a camera, but having a computer with a detachable camera is something I like anyways. I could always just use my Mac for that job though. I wonder if they are holding LTE off for the next version. I could see it being useful especially in a small device like this, but as I never have big data plans, I wouldn't be able to get much use out of it.

Yea, if you want a portable setup with everything detachable if you don't need it so it can be customizable to fit whatever circumstances you're in, this thing would be great for that. I'm already thinking of getting a usb LTE modem stick for when I switch to an unlimited data plan. Even part of me is saying that's a little overkill since I gotta pay extra for that other device on the plan that i probably wouldn't use as much as I would use my phone anyway, and then when I use my phone as a hotspot it carjacks and robs the battery practically, haha. I don't know. I just can't wait to purchase extra for this thing.

Crimson Underground

2018-08-04 05:47:59

What does the microphone on the Win2 sound like? Is it just as bad as the one on the original Win?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

Thumbs up

2018-08-04 06:25:09

Chris wrote:

What does the microphone on the Win2 sound like? Is it just as bad as the one on the original Win?

From the little audio test I did in audacity, it sounds decent enough, but when the fan is on, that shit'll be loud and clear. Kind of unavoidable though, from a design standpoint, i don't know how they could've tried to keep that from happening.

Crimson Underground

2018-09-10 21:20:21

Well guys. Seriously thinking of buying one of these to review it on youtube from a blindness prospective and see how it works out for me. Would anyone here be interested in a Dell inspiron 5577 gaming laptop? I would even include a case.  The more research I do on it the more I like it. I would just turn the desktop into a hardcore gaming rig. For $400 I'd let the dell go. Even upgraded it to 24 gb of ram.

Thumbs up

2018-09-10 23:37:13

Well guys I did a thing and now one of these should be here by Thursday. This is just way too good not to pass up. I have been finding I hate traveling with my big 15.6 laptop. I have a desktop here with an i7 in it already and I'm putting in a 1050 TI in it. So if I understand this correct, I should be able to use NVDA and browse with chrome with no slow downs? I had an old dell inspiron 11 3147 with those pentiums and it would not even do that.  I have done much research and it seems like this little PC fits the bill for what I'm looking for perfectly. I know it's no i7 or whatever but I have wanted something portable I could carry with me and work on some web browsing or some quick audio production or whatever when I'm at a friend's place or something or on flights or traveling.

Thumbs up

2018-09-11 03:10:01

The original Win handles NVDA and Chrome just fine, so I'd imagine the newer model with the more powerful processor would have no problem. I love this little pocket computer so much! It's a true pocket PC unlike that Windows Mobile/Phone crap!

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

Thumbs up

2018-09-11 03:47:23 (edited by austingrace 2018-09-11 13:54:57)

Hello. What are the FN key combinations for volume and whatnot?  Also does it have all F1-F12 keys or are they broken up? Where is the power button and how does it power on? How long is the charging cord in the box? Also is win 10 pre-activated? I keep hearing about the key in the box. Thank you guys so much for the help. smile

Thumbs up

2018-09-12 01:23:17

I don't know about the newer Win model, but mine has dedicated volume keys along the right edge of the keyboard. The power button is indented from the rest of the keys at the right edge of the keyboard. Press and hold it for 4 seconds to turn it on. Hold down the function key while tapping 1 through equals to press F1 to F12.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

Thumbs up

2018-09-13 00:00:15

Hello guys. I have had the computer for about 2 hours now. I have been updating it and everything else. It took me like 20 minutes to find the power button. LOL It is on the top row of keys on the keyboard. It is indented some as well. You have escape and F1 through F6 and then the power button is after that on the top row. If you just hit it once, it does whatever your windows setting is for the power button. Note: you have to hold it for like 4 seconds. You should hear the fan turn on once the unit powers on. If you need To get F7-F12 you have to hold FN and hit F1-F6 keys. I'll fill in what I found out so this topic can be a reference point for a beginner like myself.  Once I learn the keyboard, I'll go row by row and list the FN key bindings as well.

Thumbs up

2018-09-13 03:28:26

That's different. I wonder what else is different about the keys on the newer model of the Win?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

Thumbs up

2018-09-13 05:34:05 (edited by austingrace 2018-09-13 06:28:09)

Man this thing is awesome. Finally got the stubborn update to 18.3 to install. LOL Now that the damn updates are done I can finally get into using this machine in my daily life. It seems much faster than what I gave it credit for. I'm able to use chrome and NVDA with no lag. It's no i7 but you are not sitting there wanting to launch the thing across the room because it is slow. The thing that shocked me the most is the size of it. It is really much smaller than you think. It is quite a nice piece of kit and I'm glad to have it. Want to have a nice session of web browsing with NVDA? This thing handles it like nothing. Any audio game you can throw at it it will prob more than handle. This is quite something here. I still don't know what to think right now. I even got the carrying case for it. So you guys got me hooked. LOL I feel like a kid at Christmas right now.  People may call me crazy but this is seriously it right now!!!!!

Thumbs up

2018-09-13 08:11:36

As I said, the GPD Win is a powerhouse! It makes my MacBook Air look like a brick. I wish it had been available when I was in school. Install Microsoft Office and attach a USB keyboard and you've got a truly remarkable Windows system. I may get weird looks from people, but who cares! I'm blind and the screen doesn't matter. It's the pocket PC I've waited my entire life for.

Did you know that you can also charge the Win from a USB power bank? That is beyond awesome! I have nothing but good things to say about these products! They rock!

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

Thumbs up

2018-09-13 16:27:09

Hi.
So, where can you actually get the gpd win 2? German amazon doesnt seam to list it, so any addresses where to pick it up would be awesome.

Greetings Moritz.

Hömma, willze watt von mir oder wie, weil wenn nich, dann lass dir mal sagen, laber mir kein Kottlett anne Wange und hömma, wo wir gerade dabei sind, dann iss hier hängen im Schacht, sonns klapp ich dir hier die Fingernägel auf links, datt kannze mir mal glaubn.

Thumbs up

2018-09-13 22:11:06

Hello Chris. I 100% agree. This thing would have been amazing in school. The speakers sound decent. I mean it's no bluetooth speaker but if you are hanging out and want to hear something really quick it works.  So last night I put it in my pocket and I could hardly tell it was there. Then I put it in it's case with the charging cord and usb c adapter and it worked perfect. No more lugging around a bulky laptop. I connected my logetech 380 keyboard to it and it worked perfect. The biggest thing is getting used to a small keyboard again but it is not too bad. Once I get used to the keyboard it will be that much better.

Thumbs up

2018-09-19 05:31:28

hi, I just got one of these beasties a few days ago, and I love it! I am currently tripple booting android, jenux, Jennios/Nashcentral's linux distribution based on arch, and windows 10  18.03. When I'm home, it makes a nice gaming machine, and when I'm going out to my classes and to fulfill my other responsibilities, it makes a beautiful and super powerful note taker. I was a bit apprehensive about the price, seeing as how I used the raspberry pi as a productivity machine/note taker, but although the GPD costs about 4 times as much as a fully loaded raspberry pi, most of the components such as the LTE Modem were compatible, and the GPD was about eight times as powerful for four times the cost, even though it cost all of my checks that I received as part of my summer job.

2018-09-19 05:35:39

hacker wrote:

hi, I just got one of these beasties a few days ago, and I love it! I am currently tripple booting android, jenux, Jennios/Nashcentral's linux distribution based on arch, and windows 10  18.03. When I'm home, it makes a nice gaming machine, and when I'm going out to my classes and to fulfill my other responsibilities, it makes a beautiful and super powerful note taker. I was a bit apprehensive about the price, seeing as how I used the raspberry pi as a productivity machine/note taker, but although the GPD costs about 4 times as much as a fully loaded raspberry pi, most of the components such as the LTE Modem were compatible, and the GPD was about eight times as powerful for four times the cost, even though it cost all of my checks that I received as part of my summer job.

Awesome. Have you gotten any upgrades for it yet (bigger SSD, MSD card, etc?) I still have yet to upgrade mine, i plan on turning into kind of a windows Switch-esque device with a dock and keyboard and mouse. Do you use the keyboard on the Win2 for taking notes as well?

Crimson Underground