2018-08-06 20:15:55

Microsoft just changed their mind again. So if you were one of the people who really, really, really hated the new version, you get to use the old one for longer than september. How much longer, we don't know yet.

Maybe the title of this thread should be updated for people who might be skimming through their unread topics.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2018-08-06 20:39:57

@pitermach

I say the same.

2018-08-06 20:48:25

pitermach wrote:

Microsoft just changed their mind again. So if you were one of the people who really, really, really hated the new version, you get to use the old one for longer than september. How much longer, we don't know yet.

Maybe the title of this thread should be updated for people who might be skimming through their unread topics.

Suggestion taken.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2018-08-06 21:28:58

Not to mention imitating famous people won't get you anywhere even if you got a lot of signatures...um, actually, if you managed to get a lot of signatures and people found out you'd be worse off. My fool attempt at trying to petition to have the streaming api remain got a little over 100 and I wasn't trying to be anyone, just another average user whom twitter likely couldn't give two shits about and I realize that. In retrospect I wanted to do that as a somewhat civil gesture in what might've been a heated slug-fest over the whole thing, and to say that I at least tried something. Microsoft on the other hand did listen to their users and pushed back on what they were going to do to skype7, and I highly doubt the petition had anything to do with it just in case it gets to 127's head.
Personally I'm more excited than other folks may be at this point, mainly because this means a lot more for us mac users.

2018-08-06 21:48:23

Once I get my Windows machine, I myself will embrace the skype 8 interface.
With that being said, I know plenty of people who absolutely won't jump from Skype Classic to Skype 8, untill "all" of Skype 7 features are added and/or tested

2018-08-06 21:55:21

Yep. Saw the official post too. I'm glad they're listening to people.

2018-08-06 22:34:29

That's a nice surprise. I'm going to stick with Skype 8, though, because we just don't know how long it will be kept around. Hopefully they won't drop it until some of the more pressing issues, such as the lack of keyboard shortcuts, have been resolved.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-08-07 02:54:05

actually they have been getting better about keyboard shortcuts, there was an article I read somewhere that I can't remember now but they are adding those too. They really do listen to feedback! Let's be constructive about it then, those of us who use skype 8 should say what we really do miss about skype 7 and see if we can get some of that fixed!

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2018-08-07 03:16:21

There's one thing I don't think will ever be fixed, well possibly two things. First of all, text to speech alerts for messages, but I'm sure they could probably work that in with web tts. Second though is call quality, I really think part of the problem is that they are using the web-audio wrapper, *theory, not confirmed* and not any system audio drivers natively.

2018-08-07 03:27:18

Hmm, call quality was always the same for me. Not sure what you mean by messages reading with TTS. You could not do that with classic skype could you? Then again, you did talk about mac before so maybe those are just mac specific features, in which case I cannot help there.

2018-08-07 03:55:25

If you want to download classic Skype, Microsoft still has the link up. They don't advertise it, but it's up. This link will give you the required version for your platform; if you click this link on windows, you'll get the .exe file. For mac, you'll get the .DMG file.

https://go.skype.com/classic.skype

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2018-08-07 05:21:46

they have to be using something somewhat native, as it autogains the shit out of my microphone in sysem even when I tell it not to and gets it stuck on stupid values.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2018-08-13 01:49:44

Jack, I'm not immitating anyone. I could prove it if anyone would let me. As for Skype 8, if I can't use it with perfect vision and a mouse, neither can you.

2018-08-13 01:52:33

As far as I know, you... can't use skype with full vision because as far as I know, you don't have full vision being Katie Epperson and all.

2018-08-13 02:58:36

Why Joan Baez though??? I'm just curious.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:
https://discord.gg/2duutDtGFa

2018-08-13 03:34:53

Lol, this is way too hilarious. Well I am so sorry to disappoint you, but I can use it. Pretty shocking isn't it?

2018-08-13 03:56:15 (edited by Ethin 2018-08-13 03:58:46)

@Joan Baez, we've never given you any chance to prove yourself purely because none needs to be given. You are not Jone Baez, please admit it and move on. All you are is an attention-seeking brat with the maturity of a 14-year-old.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-08-14 00:25:47

I get what you guys are saying, and you're completely right, but what exactly is repeatedly calling her out accomplishing? Clearly nothing, since she knows that there are still people who will take the bait and give her the attention she craves, no matter how negative. The best defense against people like this is to just let their comments slide. Eventually they'll get bored and find somewhere else to troll. Eventually, she'll run out of places/people who will take her seriously, isn't that satisfactory enough for you guys?

Look, I'm not saying that impersonating famous people is a cool thing to do, but surely all of this bullshit and drama will catch up to her with real world consequences.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-08-14 04:20:06

turtlepower17 wrote:

I get what you guys are saying, and you're completely right, but what exactly is repeatedly calling her out accomplishing? Clearly nothing, since she knows that there are still people who will take the bait and give her the attention she craves, no matter how negative. The best defense against people like this is to just let their comments slide. Eventually they'll get bored and find somewhere else to troll. Eventually, she'll run out of places/people who will take her seriously, isn't that satisfactory enough for you guys?

Look, I'm not saying that impersonating famous people is a cool thing to do, but surely all of this bullshit and drama will catch up to her with real world consequences.

Personally, whether I feel like calling her out or not, it's not as if it's any huge skin off my back. Like, it doesn't bother me. I just think it's funny. And to be honest with you, I don't like the sit-back-and-hope-the-problem-will-go-away approach. It's not the best way to handle things. And the first step to solving a problem is acknowledging it, whether it's us or her that does it. Also, when the hell was the last time Joan Baez was relevant? The 70s? And by relevant I mean at her prime, not liked by prominently older people.
If she has any proof though (which she doesn't) that she is, in fact, Joan baez, then I would like to see it, as i'm sure others would. Although we won't because there is none.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:

2018-08-14 04:49:40

Yeah, it is strange that she picked Joan Baez, of all people, but unless the mods ban her, which they've said on more than one occasion they won't, I don't see how constantly derailing topics to cater to her drama mongering isn't giving her exactly what she wants.

Technically, I think it's against the rules to have more than one account on here, so they could ban her for that, but I don't even know if IP address logging is a thing on this forum, nor how tech savvy she is, because that's so easy to circumvent it's laughable. And why should we be privvy to the systems they may or may not use to keep people from creating multiple accounts, or evading bans? That would render them ineffective. So that leads us back to the fact that you all can keep doing what you're doing, but you might as well be pissing in the wind.

2018-08-14 04:56:35 (edited by NevEd 2018-08-14 04:59:34)

turtlepower17 wrote:

Yeah, it is strange that she picked Joan Baez, of all people, but unless the mods ban her, which they've said on more than one occasion they won't, I don't see how constantly derailing topics to cater to her drama mongering isn't giving her exactly what she wants.

Technically, I think it's against the rules to have more than one account on here, so they could ban her for that, but I don't even know if IP address logging is a thing on this forum, nor how tech savvy she is, because that's so easy to circumvent it's laughable. And why should we be privvy to the systems they may or may not use to keep people from creating multiple accounts, or evading bans? That would render them ineffective. So that leads us back to the fact that you all can keep doing what you're doing, but you might as well be pissing in the wind.

But wouldn't she want people to believe her? To fool people? She's not exactly doing that here haha. I get your point on "derailing topics." . That's just my opinion though. I am glad the mods aren't bann-happy douches though, even though i wouldn't be sad if she did get banned. But once we start trying to make up superficial reason for banning people, or being SJWs, it opens up a can of worms I'd rather not see opened. She's not really hurting anyone either.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:

2018-08-15 02:03:08

Nah. And I do see your side of it too. I'm just saying dealing with these types of issues can be a slippery slope, and I'm glad everyone is being civil about it, if a bit irritated, which is a normal reaction. Anyway, I think it's best if we put this particular part of the discussion to rest, unless she decides to try and screw with the topic again.

2018-08-15 03:00:26

@172 can you please not quote the entire post of the user before you? If you wish to say something about the entire post, do @#, like I did to you. It just makes things easier to read, thanks. If you're quoting a specific segment I have seen people do that and have it work right.

----------

2018-08-15 05:04:40

It seems they're backtracking on the backtrack (is that a thing?), as everything that said they were pushing back the forced upgrade has been removed. The blog post once again says Skype 7 will cease to function on September 1. I haven't seen an official confirmation of this, but the Skype for Desktop category now says Skype Preview for Desktop. RIP Skype 7. I guess we can look forward to using the bloated electron piece of crap next month after all unless I'm mistaken. Although, some people here actually like it for reasons I don't yet understand.

2018-08-15 13:44:40

Just like I do not understand the reasons of not liking it until they are properly given. Sorry, but nobody will fix an app when you say it's bloated. Cool, but what is bloated for you? I do think everybody has a different opinion on this. The app has all the standard elements of Skype and I didn't see bloat in there.