2018-08-09 15:21:11

No idea, not that it matters to me, I've always bought full, as in not an upgrade, retail editions. They seem to have far less licensing restrictions than the OEM versions do, which suits me just fine.

2018-08-09 16:17:09

One step up from an oem license but still a good value purchase would be a system builder edition. These are offbrand but brand new copies of windows that you can buy for cheaper than a retail disk. They're tied to your computer once you activate them, but they are quite obviously vanilla versions of windows and can be installed and activated on any one computer. That also includes virtual machines. Not long ago on a trades list there was a bunch of old software disks being given away and one of them was windows7 32bit. And sure enough it was an system builder. Problem, it was only 32bit, and I forgot to switch to 64bit, since the only thing tying windows to that machine is the key. There is nothing embedded in the disk whatsoever that can prove it was embedded to the key that was to be used. So, I ended up having two machines. A Windows 7-turned windows10 32bit machine fully activated, and an unlicensed windows10 64bit virtual machine. Both have a product key associated with them, but the 32bit machine obviously got to the end of the race first. So there's obviously nothing more to do other than a good old shell game with these config files. Sure enough, the hardware id's which obviously fake a real hardware id were in that config file, so all I had to do was a simple bate-and-switch, go into the 64bit machine's config file and exchange its id for the id associated with the licensed product key, delete the windows 10 32bit virtual machine, and now after starting it up we're fully activated on 64bit windows 10. Obviously that can't be applied to a real machine since the hardware id is actually baked into the system for good, but that does give you a good example of how the windows10 licensing is a bit more flexible. True, technically 32bit or 64bit doesn't matter when licensing, but this 64bit machine had more ram and memory to my knowledge.

2018-08-09 17:40:08

Which makes the system builder's edition pretty much the same as an OEM edition because both are tied to the hardware. With a retail edition, I can deactivate and uninstall the product key and activate it on a completely new machine. You can't do that with the System builder's or OEM editions.

2018-08-09 17:43:34

I had thought you still had an activation limit on the retail versions, at least I did with microsoft office, but it's useful to know you can deactivate and still keep your license count. Will have to see if I can do that with my office2016 pro plus license, pretty sure I can, should I need to use it temporarily on a different computer or, worst comes to worst my vm gets corrupted but that's what backups are for.

2018-08-09 18:17:45 (edited by Orko 2018-08-09 18:19:35)

I don't know if the deactivation process is usable with Office or not, but since those product keys are essentially the same thing, just for a different product, it wouldn't surprise me if it works.

Wouldn't hurt to google "deactivate office" to see what you get.

2018-08-09 18:29:13 (edited by flackers 2018-08-09 18:32:51)

You can activate OEM versions on different machines. You can with win 7 anyway. You just have to phone up and press 1 when it asks how many systems it's installed on. It gives you a code, and it activates fine. They obviously have no way of checking which machine it originally belonged to.

2018-08-09 18:39:56

Right, because the phone activation was originally designed as a failsafe for when you couldn't communicate with the server anyhow.

2018-08-09 18:56:35

But they can, otherwise you wouldn't need the phone option to activate on a new machine. Before I knew about deactivating product keys, I had to use the phone option several times with a retail edition of Windows XP after doing a complete system upgrade because the activation server wouldn't activate my Windows because it thought it was being installed on a second machine, so I had to assure them that this was the only installation of this copy of Windows.

2018-08-09 19:30:37

to Chris. 1) I'm not 100% on whether computers upgraded now, would still activate on win10. it could certainly worth a try, but there's a slight possibility, Microsoft killed that off, since in theory, all upgrade offers are over and done with. however, given Microsoft's update policy, I wouldn't be surprised if that loophole is still open. hell, I read success stories, where people installed win10 over cracked windows, and they obtained a legit digital license after that... I never did that myself, though. does your laptop, besides recovery disks, have a recovery partition? if  it does, use that instead. if not, give the CD method a go, and see what happens. if it then activates, you can try win10, and if it doesn't, you can revert. one can still purchase win10 keys, but now that we have digital licenses, there is almost  no point to it, since digital licenses are tighed to your computer, most computers are on win10, anyway. plus digital applies to both pro and home, so there is nothing at all, that you gain from a physical key, besides activation issues.

2018-08-09 19:50:23 (edited by Chris 2018-08-09 19:51:31)

This computer has a recovery partition. However, it's only 750 MB with 216 MB used. I don't know if this is going to work. How do I boot into Recovery? I'll also have to use Be My Eyes to help me out. Hopefully the folks at the Disability answer desk can help.

I'm not buying a Windows license. I thought it would let me install a fresh copy of Windows 7 and then activate with the OEM key that came with the machine. If I get this back to the stock configuration, I'll try doing an in place upgrade to 10 and see if the license carries over.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-08-10 16:44:27

but, if you can get it to activate on win7, even if the license doesn't carry over to 10, you can then revert, and it will be activated. so what other partitions does disk part show, besides that 750 MB partition? maybe the CD method would be more reliable instead.

2018-08-10 18:11:13

How old is that system, if 750 Mb is all the recovery partition is, maybe it originally came with Windows XP on it.

2018-08-10 23:43:52 (edited by Chris 2018-08-10 23:45:32)

The only other partition I have in disk management is a 39 MB one called OEM. I'll use the disks that came with the computer.
I received this computer from Voc Rehab which is part of the Texas Workforce Commission. I just wanted to make it faster by removing all the bloat and getting rid of Dell Audio which seemed to greatly enhance the base when connecting headphones. It was extremely unpleasant when listening to NVDA. It has an Intel Core i5 4310M processor, which makes me think it's a 2013-2014 era computer.

2018-08-10 23:56:51

OK, then it more than likely came with 7 or 8, probably 8 or even 8.1.

2018-08-11 06:47:22

As it happens, I have the exact same model, also from TWC. you didn't have to reformat to rid yourself of dell audio... you just had to revert to default hd audio drivers. as far as activation, you might actually be screwed now, unless you can use those discs.

devin

2018-08-11 17:13:13 (edited by Orko 2018-08-11 17:14:28)

Unless those system rebuild discs can restore an already activated copy of Windows, even they may not help you, it would all depend on whether they include the activation data files, and it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't, that sounds like something Microsoft would require.

You may have no choice but to see if you can find somebody selling brand new copy of the version of Windows you are trying to activate so you can get away from that problem key.

2018-08-11 17:47:48

I would hope the disks would contain Dell's factory configuration including the activation for the machine. It seems ridiculous to lose your OEM key if you have to reinstall Windows. Then again, maybe I shouldn't be too surprised. Microsoft and their licensing have always been a pain up until Windows 10 which just activates once and remains activated as long as your hardware doesn't change. I'm going to try using these disks and will report back once I'm done.

2018-08-11 18:44:35 (edited by Orko 2018-08-11 18:47:29)

Actually I long for the good old days before Windows XP when activation didn't exist. It just shows how greedy Moneysoft is that even with all the money they were making off of Windows despite piracy that they had to tighten their grip even further by creating this pain in the butt activation system, along with the genuine Windows program that locks you out of anything and everything Microsoft if it thinks your copy of Windows isn't genuine. What if it' gets it wrong, that's a good way to piss off a legitimate paying customer.

2018-08-11 18:49:30 (edited by Chris 2018-08-11 18:51:27)

The OEM Windows 7 install DVD that came with this computer did the trick. It now says Windows is activated after I performed a clean install. Now I have to figure out how to deal with this stupid Dell Resource DVD. When I launch the setup program, NVDA reads unknown for nearly every element.
I could have avoided all this if I'd just used the disks that came with the machine instead of deciding to use a retail iso file. Oh well, live and learn I suppose.

2018-08-11 19:18:49 (edited by braille0109 2018-08-11 19:21:49)

have I heard someone complaining about bass? *cries in the corner*... I love my dell's audio driver, in fact, put the frequency to 50, bass boost to 24, and freaking love the thing! smile
mine's using an i5 2520m processor, but it sounds like we're using rather similar audio drivers. as a matter of fact, even on my win10, I have reverted to high definition audio, and the first thing I did was enabling bass. LOL that hurt my feelings. sad
as for the laptop using win7, dell, on the latitude line, at least, appears to have stuck with windows 7 pro, they really weren't in favour of 8.1. that was kind of a failure like vista, so many companies stuck with 7 instead.
actually, if anyone knows how I can get more bass out of the drivers, besides what I've outlined above, plus virtual surround, I'd love! to know. and I'm slightly confused. so you said using the disk activated the PC, but then you said the setup with NVDA says unknown to everything? so have you managed to revert it, or at what point are you?

2018-08-11 19:31:17 (edited by Chris 2018-08-11 19:32:32)

I'm honestly glad I went through this whole process. I've learned a few things, and I've managed to get rid of 99% of the crap that came on this computer. Windows 7 boots extremely quickly now. I'll go ahead and download the drivers directly from Dell's website since this resource DVD is inaccessible.
I never liked that base boost thing and couldn't figure out how to disable it. It wasn't listed in the enhancements section of Sound Settings. Now it's no longer an issue along with the annoying prompt that would come up if I attached anything to the audio jack. I also got rid of all those stupid inaccessible applications like Dell Digital Delivery and Dell Command Update that kept popping up randomly. All I have to do now is install Kurzweil 1000 and Microsoft Office Home and Business 2016 and I'm set.

2018-08-11 20:08:13

I don't know how people can stand to listen to anything with the base cranked all the way up. All that thump, thump, thumping just gives me a splitting headache.

Not to mention that I wouldn't want to have their hearing when they get older. Without sight, I'm very careful about my hearing. But if you want to be another Hellen Keller, that's your choice.

2018-08-11 20:43:41 (edited by braille0109 2018-08-11 20:47:03)

post 47. weirdly, as much as I love bass, I don't crank up the volume at all. I usually have it around 40% with headphones, which, as high as it sounds, we need to remember half of that is taken over by bass. I know people that put it to 100% without any enhancement, and that, I have no words towards. am also not the type of person that will have headphones on the entire day, but certainly see where you're coming from.
post 46. I know it's a bit too late, but did you try going enhancements, enabling bass boost, going in the little settings dialog which then becomes visible, and set the boost level to none? despite the enhancements tab, dell's default driver, by default, actually have some bass enabled, but is not visible. just compare it to any other PC using the high definition driver, and you'll notice the difference. just a little suggestion, if you want to experiment. ,
PS. I even enabled bass boost in car radios, if and when accessible/applicable. family never really minded it much.