2018-08-06 23:09:00

Hey guys,

So, I am very curious about something. Are any of you familiar with the Memory Palace Method for memorizing just about everything? OK. For those who are not familiar, this Wikipedia article should serve as a good start. Essentially, you use a place with which you are completely mentally familiar, and make it a storage for the random things you want to memorize. There's more to it than that, but I encourage you to read the article I linked. Anyway, I use it extensively for language learning, university studies, things for my job, and more! This one technique makes quite a difference in so many aspects of my life. I'm wondering if there are any other blind people using it. I'm assuming, probably incorrectly of course, that most of the people are either completely blind or have practically no usable vision. If you use it, I'd like to hear your experiences. I would also like to hear from people who may struggle with spatial reasoning and how they could see themselves making use of this valuable technique. I mean no offense with that previous statement, but I am aware that some of us in the blind community have difficulties with respect to spatial reasoning. Oh, and if you use it, and you've had success, how many memory palaces are you using and what do they currently store? smile I really hope some of you can come through and respond to this question. It's a curiosity I've had for quite a while now.

2018-08-07 02:49:11

I had low vision for a while, am good with spatial stuff, and I have never understood the point of this method. That said, I haven't actually tried it. Maybe, if we go with the "memories work like the internet" analogy, it might be like creating a website full of links, or adding things to your bookmarks/favorites/whatever we call those these days.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-08-07 03:12:26

Here is a quick example with memorizing Japanese vocabulary for those who are interested.
I have a bedroom in my apartment that I can picture very quickly and easily. I won't reveal its entire layout, but suffice it to say that upon walking into the room, to my right, there is a trash can, and a big bed is right in the middle of the room facing a window. Also, to the right of my bed is a table. Now, you also have to possess some relatively good imagination skills. Let's assume that it is very cold in my apartment. In fact, so cold so as to cause freezing. Here is my scenario for memorizing two or three words:
There is a guy sleeping in my bed named Corey. I don't know, he's some random guy I met somewhere. However, when he got home, he ended up freezing on my bed. He is encased in ice. Poor Corey. Now when I see Corey, upon traversing my memory palace, I think Kori as in ice in Japanese. To the right of the bed, under the table, a girl is trying to eat away at the table because she is so damn hungry. lol There is the verb to eat in Japanese. the hungry girl reminds me of eating and table reminds me of the similar word structure. The word is taberu in Japanese. Finally, I see a toy car in my trash can that seems to be dancing to some kind of rumba music. I just conjure the image of the dancing car in my mind when I approach my trash can, and car and rumba is a weird combination of letters that do well in reminding me that the word for car in Japanese is curuma.
You could say that some of these scenarios stretch reality, but that's the point. All of us seem to do better when we have some mental picture associated to an abstract concept of sorts.

2018-08-07 09:44:57

I don't have any problems committing things to memory, so I don't do anything special. Where I have problems is short term memory, or what you might call scratch pad memory. For me, this really doesn't exist.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-08-07 12:18:21

I haven't used this specific technique, but I've been using associative memory techniques for a long time. I find that if I need to memorize a number I can, but if I dont' need it for say six months, it becomes vague because it's just an abstract set of digits. So I'll be thinking, it was something like 359 or 395, cant' quite recall. But if you associate it with something solid, it seems to be easier to retrieve after a long period of non-use. For instance, the last six digits of my phone number are 357303. So, for that I'd think 357 magnum and 303 bullet. It's not always as neat as this, but you can usually find something if you think for a while. I'm 45 now, and my short term memory has started to deteriorate over the past year or so. Like I'm playing eurofly at the moment, and they'll announce the runway, and after I've pissed around setting the transponder code and checking my take off speed, I'm thinking what the hell was the runway again. That wasn't happening last time I played it 18 months ago or whatever. So now I'm having to think things like number 1 piss, 2, shit, 3  magic, B2 bomber, A4 paper, etc. It sounds weird as fuck, but it helps. But this memory palace system seems very interesting, and I'm going to try it.

2018-08-07 12:37:23

I actually use a kind of weird system, I'll try to explain.
My brain is a server machine. The various disks and storage drives serve various parts of my brain that do different things.
The hard drives serve as longterm storage, the floppy disk drives serve as long-term short notes/things I need to remember throughout the day.
The cd drives serve as audio I need to pay attention to/remember, and the one solid state drive (recently installed)(aside I'm weird like that) is where realtime information, in whatever form, is dumped.
The hard drives are divided into volumes for things like memories and my two language banks, English and Spanish, and other things.
Yeah, can we say, weird? Xd.

2018-08-07 12:46:01

Personally, spacial visualisation has never been my strong suit, indeed I sort of do the reverse of memory palace in that I memorise sets of spacial directions or landmarks via a system of key words or associated concepts, EG go out the door turn left, look for the blue gate and cross the road, go through the archway and turn right etc.

For me, its all about rhythm, colour and language, so if I have to memorise a long number I tend to clump it together into three or four digit rhythmical groups, where as learning music I do  with synaesthesic colour associations, forming specific sets of colours or the like to associate different aspects of the melody.

similarly, when I was learning vocabulary, or when I'm learning  for a peace of music in a language other than English, I have to break it down into some sort of syntactic structure so that I can learn it in smaller patternns, and of course repeat it myself vocally until I can get it right, indeed usually if I can learn to say it, I can learn to recall it (one reason why Simon games are far easier on the Alexa for me than on the computer or mobile devices).

Again though, it depends upon how your memory works. I suspect I have miner issues myself in spacial comprehension so I have used basic memory to compensate, similarly not having access to a notepad or easy way of taking braille notes much of the time my own memory gets the work out instead, indeed one odd thing is I could probably real off the part for every production I've ever played in, but the one time I was in a choral concert with brailled words, I couldn't tell you more than a third of them big_smile.
Either way whatever works, ironically, for me the main problem with memorisation is simply that unless I fix memorise something by repeating it vocally or finding a rhythmic exercise, memories tend to get overwhelmed by  whatever is going on in my brain, and in trying to remember something, I'll end up analysing something else in depth, which is probably why people tend to describe me as something like the stereotypical absent minded professor big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-08-10 20:31:10

Post 2, it's not for everyone. I really enjoy using it because I find myself taking a lot of courses at university that I just cannot find it within me to be interested. The memory palace method helps me associate some of the uninteresting bits to objects within my palace to help me remember, and add a bit of tangibility, if that's a word, to the boring concepts.
Post 4, I'm afraid I don't follow your response. First you say that you don't have an issue committing things to memory, and then you say that you have an issue with short-term memory? The memory palace method is arguably one of the best tools to help with short term memory. In fact, if one knows how to use it properly, you can memorize vocabulary, numbers, or anything at an instant, upon hearing a bit of information. Then, after committing it and using that bit of information for something, and you wish to retain it, you can employ traditional memory methods (spaced repetition, etc) for long-term storage. Again, you may not have this issue, thus making this technique irrelevant to you.
Post 5, I'm glad you're open to trying it. It may or may not yield good results. You just have to take time to practice it at first, and over time, when you become familiar with the way it works, you may find yourself using it more often than not. It seems like you are already using other memory techniques though. If you're interested at all, I'd recommend you read books by Dominic OBrien, and pick up a book on the Major system. These offer good insights into how people get the most out of other memory techniques to memorize numbers, vocabulary, etc.
Post 6, it sounds to me like you've made a memory palace of your own. Whether you know it or not, I think this is exactly the method you are using. A memory palace can be anything that has familiar structure that you use to store information in an organized manner. Computer harddrives and disks are actually, interestingly enough, as close as you'll get to storage analogies for the brain.
Post 7, that is actually very interesting indeed. In terms of memorizing directions, I find that a lot of people struggle in dictating directions and keeping them straight in their mind that way. That takes some level of visualization I would imagine. Unless, of course, you focus on the word order rather than actual mental mapping. I have a feeling that you have a linguistic side to you by the mere fact that you break down vocabulary words into small recognizable structures. A lot of abstract concepts having English vocabulary usually have etymologies that date back to old languages.

2018-08-10 21:13:02

I don't see that there is a conflict here, Just as I say, I don't have trouble committing things to memory, I just don't have a short term memory.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-08-11 13:07:06

@kaigoku, yes, most of my directional understanding is more based on landmarks and basic directions than trying to remember a set of associated beats in spacial logic. For example, I might learn a route like "turn right, then go until I find the blue gate, then cross the road and turn right again until I get to the bakery, then turn left" etc.

I usually do mazes  in games the same way, going on walking in specific directions checking openings rather than trying to put things together into a larger structural hole.
This is why the spacial memory palace method is not something I'd do, since for me, I prefer to break spaces into linguistic patterns and concepts I can memorise like a musical melody.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)