2018-08-10 11:47:25 (edited by hhleon-mueller 2018-08-10 11:49:18)

Hi all
Since I learned to code in BGT, I'll try pure basic now.
But I'm not shure if pure basic is good for  audiogame-development.
Before I pay pure basic, I would like to hear some opinions about that.
Best regards
Leon Müller

Feel free to contact me:
My facebook page
My skype

2018-08-10 12:41:03

i think b g t

2018-08-10 13:56:34

Pure Basic all the way. BGT is unsupported and has a number of problems such that I find it hard to believe that any serious developer would use it to develop a commercial product. I know that as a consumer, if I know a product is written in BGT, I will never buy it, and won't even bother with free games written in it. The bottom line is that no game is worth dealing with BGT's problems.

2018-08-10 15:58:19

Pure basic has more features and such. BGT is good for game development right now if you're not looking to develop a massive game, despite what orko might say (I think he's the only one I've ever heard of who will never play BGT games) but if you like the syntax of PB, then I'd say go for that. They're the opposite in many syntactical ways, BGT is a C-style language and Pure Bawic is basic-style as it says in the name.

2018-08-10 16:05:07

@3, have to almost completely disagree here.
True, PB is better than BGT in term of features, but if a beginner developer is trying to make maybe a little/medium game in a shorter period of time, BGT would be the best option, with that said, PB is better  than BGT, but if you're looking forward making a game quickly go for BGT

Paul

2018-08-10 16:08:07

I don't like BGT, but I still play the games. TO me it screws people up, it makes things look too easy, lowers the barrier of entry, then here we go with the taking includes, shoving them in, bing, bam, boom, hey look, I made a game. No doubt about it though, good games have sprung up written in BGT, I will not claim otherwise.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-08-10 18:23:07 (edited by Orko 2018-08-10 18:53:02)

If you write a game in BGT, unless you make it completely independent of the user's screen reader, you immediately run the risk of excluding JAWS users from playing your game because of BGT's well known conflicts with it. You also run the risk of having most anti virus programs flag your game as being infected with a virus, which requires that users punch holes in their virus protection by creating exclusions to allow the game to be downloaded, installed, and run, and some users, like me, refuse to lower our defenses that way.

If you are just starting out, sure, use BGT to learn with, as I did, it's great for that, but unless you want to have to deal with its lack of support and its other problems, switch to another development language when you are ready.

@Lucas1853

If you want to get personal, just let me know and I'll be happy to oblige, otherwise, keep your opinions about me to yourself, they are not appropriate here.

2018-08-10 19:29:45

hi
why don't you try jvascript?

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2018-08-10 19:37:41

If it's purely a question between BGT and Pure Basic, I would go for BGT. After years of programming in object oriented languages, I honestly don't think I could go back. True, some users of PB have created their own OOP systems, but personally, I'd prefer a language with native OOP support.

2018-08-10 19:46:04

I would go for PB. I completely agree with Orko. I don't play BGT games, because don't know why, I always come with an assumption that this is going to be a shit lol.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-08-10 21:28:16

@Orko, the fact that JAWS doesn't play nice with BGT is the falt of your screenreader, and this isn't specific to BGT either. If a BGT dev doesn't install the keyhook, then sure they can do that, but I've heard it messes up on later versions of windows. JAWS has problems with this, NVDA doesn't. And I'm not getting personal either. I wasn't insulting you, simply stating that you're the only person I've heard of who will refuse to play such a large subset of games.

2018-08-10 22:29:24

Just leave his ignorance, it's not worth it. We have tried explaining the jaws problem in multiple topics. Go play any old visual basic game and you will have the same issue. Have you tried the old games from LWorks to see how nicely they work with jaws and they are not even in BGT? What about japanese games? A developer needs extra effort for jaws support, no matter which language you choose. In fact, in other languages it might even be harder to achieve than BGT. The only exception to this is javascript, however that is because it is web environment and thus you only  need to turn off your virtual cursor to play.

2018-08-10 22:40:13

My only comment, albeit unhelpful, is: don't ask this kind of question. This is exactly what results from it.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-08-10 22:53:02

Yeah. To be honest I would try both myself and just see what I like. Eventually, you will reach the limitations of BGT. Till you do though, it's totally fine.

2018-08-11 04:36:15

hy everyone.
I myself am decided to go for pb. I have purchased it and lets see how it goes. I knew it has it's own ide and stuff, even though I have a bouncy ball thingy someone made, but... can anyone share with me some scripts to code an audio game?
Thanks a lot and I'll keep reading you guys.
TC.
best regards...
Mike

Take care.
Mike.

I don't play games as much as I wish, but you can know that it's me if there's a John Weed over there. Ha ha!

2018-08-11 12:49:57

Thank you, I will try  Javascript as well.

Feel free to contact me:
My facebook page
My skype

2018-08-11 15:05:26

Hi, could you link me this bouncy ball thingy?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-08-11 17:11:56

hi.
Well, let me upload it somewhere. Think Steven d did that one

Take care.
Mike.

I don't play games as much as I wish, but you can know that it's me if there's a John Weed over there. Ha ha!

2018-08-11 17:17:03

hi.
Sorry for double posting. Here is the bouncy ball thing steven d coded.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!As1WzVAO2w9Ohlvy2IiBVnPLIz4E

Take care.
Mike.

2018-08-11 23:23:51 (edited by Still_Standing 2018-08-11 23:25:04)

heare is what i say heare
for bgt:  its starting to be unsupported  that the updates of windows  mite be tayking ifects on it, and it had a # of problemes with this, and sometimes you can't mayke what do you want, features,  missing, but if a   some one beginne's he's aventure with programing, he will code on it, because its good for beginners
as for biger game, i use c++, or python, or pb, or any other languages like java or c# etc, tho's are helpful

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2018-08-12 17:37:46

@3, I completely disagree. The bigger part of the games I play are made in BGT and I like BGT games better than other games. And for JAWS, just call install_keyhook() in your script. The only downside to that is that you can't use any other keystrokes while you are in the game, except alt+tab.
@15, I found a crack for pure basic somewhere because I wanted to try PureTTS. Why did you buy it rather than find a crack?

I would always recommend BGT. And might I Ask what those "limitations" are?

2018-08-12 20:13:48

@21, if you don't know what limitations BGT has then you haven't programmed in it long enough. It has so many limitations it would take a long time to list them all. Off the top of my head, let's see...
* Terrible networking support. By terrible, I mean so bad not even Microsoft would use it.
* Inability to use HTTPS. This is a big one, considering that the web is moving over to HTTPS.
* Poor compilation method, embeds rather than compiles. This is very bad, raises red flags by antivirus and antimalware tools alike. Also makes it possible to retrieve decryption and encryption keys (and other data) from compiled games with ease, provided the user has the right tools. Programmer must be clever in order to make retrieval impossible (or very difficult).
* Horrifyingly terrible DLL support. The support BGT has for DLLs is too bad to use practically. PureBASIC, though, has a hole toolkit related to DLLs in the library API, and its possible to successfully build any wrapper you want using it.
* Very slow containers. BGT really only has one type of K/V container, the dictionary. Retrieval of values from this K/V store is incredibly slow and its faster to use standard arrays (which has their own set of problems).
And lots more I can't think of.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-08-12 22:18:47

Hi.
Well in my opinion, don't use either PB or BGT. pb is paid, why pay for a language when there are so many free alternatives out there? You can use any number of languages that don't cost 100 USD. Python, javascript, java (not the same as javascript), c#, c++, visual basic (not the same as pure basic at all), ruby (I wouldn't recommend ruby for audiogames though), and others. I named the ones that are most commonly used, there are a lot more out there.
I've seen PB syntax, the way it does things is silly to me. I would recommend python for you, that is the easiest you can get with programming. Just use an editor like EdSharp to detect indentation levels, and turn your screen reader's indentation reading up to it's highest. This will help you a lot.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-08-12 22:40:43

Let's also throw in the very rudimentary library support on top of everything else. Yeah, no need for pb in my opinion, everyone's using OOP languages these days, not functional programming like PB.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-08-12 23:00:34 (edited by Ethin 2018-08-12 23:00:54)

@24, PB is procedural, not functional. Functional programming is certainly gaining popularity, though.

My Github