2008-08-27 00:01:09

Can someone tell me of a good sorce for learning spanish braille along with entering spanish in to forms on the web useing an american keyboard layout? I'm takeing spanish this semester and of corse can't use pin and paper because of lack of sight along with the fact that the homework will be done over the web. I'm running windows XP pro on mmy desktop and Vista home prem on my laptop and JFW 9.0 on both. I also have a BX440 Omni With spanish installed as the second leng. Another thing, can someone look to see if the spanish grade2 braille table is correct on the Omni? Last but not least, can I have the info before thursday?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-08-27 06:48:51

Just hit ins+4 on your keypad on the computer and a list of symbols will appear; all you need.

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2008-08-27 13:48:51

OK. still need to know spanish in braille so that I can study in braille. so far thanks.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-08-28 15:17:14

What do you need. The accent list  dot combinations?

2008-08-28 17:18:42

yes, that in any contractions that may prove handy along with doing numbers. Am I making sence?

DropBox Referral

2008-08-28 23:47:04

Ok. I'll give you the Spanish accent dot combos, one dot per line.

E accent:

I Accent:

A Accent:

U Accent:

The N Accent-type thingy:

When I use my BrailleNote to enter accents, I need to add dot8 to all of those. Don't know about the PAC Mate though.

I hope this helps somewhat.

2008-08-29 00:55:19

It does. How about the upside down question and the other thingy? Guess I could settal For grade one. Just as long as I could use it for notes and what not to study. How about other things like periods?

DropBox Referral

2008-08-29 05:06:53 (edited by andy smith 2008-08-29 05:14:06)

The period is dot3; the ' is dot4. Upside question mark is 2-6.

I honestly don't know if these numbers are just like... It's weird, numbers. Basically, the 0 is 3-4-6, and every other number is the litteral braille numbers with dot6 added. for example 1 is 1-6, two is 1-2-6 and so on.

If you need other symbols, here's some useful ones I use:

Dot2: Comma
Dots 2-3: semicolon
Dots 2-5: Colon
Dots 2-5-6: Star
Dots 2-3-5 Plus (Add dot7 for an exclamation mark, at least on the BrailleNote)
Dots 2-3-5-6: Equals
Dots 2-3-6: Less than
Dots 3-5: Right-brace
Dots 3-5-6: Greater than

That's a bit overkill, Left parenthesis is 1-2-3-5-6, without dot8 of course, and right parenthesis is 2-3-4-5-6. Again, without dot8. If you need any other symbols let me know. Again, fiddle around with the dot8/dot7 things, since it's probably different on a PacMate than on a BrailleNote

EDIT: There are no contractions. For example "Z", in English braille, is "as". In Spanish braille, there are no contractions like that.

2008-08-29 12:45:33

So it's just like the american english with a few differenses right? Guess I gotta go save this page now that the info seems to be there.

DropBox Referral

2008-08-29 16:01:20

Yeah, a few differences. As noted, there aren't contractions like there are in English braille. I think that's because of the accents.

2018-08-06 07:40:58

ok, just wanted to clear up that there are contractions, my friends here use them and I am the only one here behind. I know its been years since the original post, but if there is ever  anyone interested, I found a stenography  or grade two Spanish course. Its dated 1998, and even though I am not sure if that would be the latest (its been hard to come up with something stable because Spanish is spoken in so many countries) it seems to be pretty legit and complete. of course, the entire text is in Spanish and sadly in .doc form but its totally doable as there are tables with the signs, their exact dots and what they mean. The course gives you exercises at the end of each section, and a cheat sheet with the answer to every exercise. Signs are grouped using the same logic for teaching braille to sighted, like a through j first, and then k through r, and so on. As you might expect, just like in English, there are common words linked to single letters. For example,
B for the word bien, c for the word con, k for the word al, ETC.
Other signs, are used too, probably way more than in English for single words. like the & symbol stand for ella, and a few accented letters, like ú stand for según.

the thing is that, as with any complex language like Spanish, endings are more difficult and require way more context. And so it can get really really abbreviated but its doable as well. And at last you have contractions. For example dots 2 3 6 stands for "er", dots 1 2 6 for "em" and so on.

Of course I really doubt there would be many books using abbreviated Spanish Braille (some efforts certainly had been made to revive it) but I don't think it took off as well as it did with English.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…