2018-07-31 13:24:54

Hello fokes, I am learning bgt and coding at the moment... Will start making games soon. So basically what I want to know is:
how do we pack all the sound files in one, huge, sounds.dat file?
Secondly, if I decide to make it online multiplayer, how do I manage the server stuff required for that?
I want to have all these resources on hand... So help would be appreciated.

2018-07-31 14:15:24

hello their
well, for sound packs you could use the pack extracter   and pack_creater, to include  them i use this
put this code in your main game .bgt file after the void main

set_sound_storage("sounds.dat");
and to mayke the key, type this:

set_sound_decryption_key("key",true);
replace the key by the key you want to include in your game for the sound pack
as for servers and maltyplayer game, i don't have much exp for this, but you must mayke a class player in the main  game clined and some other things that you have to do, maybe others can help you with this
good luck

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2018-07-31 17:00:28

Very very thanks ffor reply bro.

2018-08-01 01:22:20

The pack creator referenced in post 2, along with quite a few additional BGt resources can be found on my github repository:

http://github.com/cartertemm/bgt_includes

As for networking, check the network section of the BGT CHM. It's certainly one of the more difficult aspects to wrap your head around, but again examples and asking questions will be your friend here.

2018-08-01 05:34:57

Thanks, Carter.
OK, let's assume I have three sound files. 1.mp3, 2.mp3, and 3.mp3. Now can you give me code example to pack them in a sounds.dat file?
Oh yeah well netwroking beats me at the moment, but I will learn it, don't you doubt!

2018-08-01 06:24:46

Holy shit, Carter. Thanks a lot for the above stuff you sent me. It's quite literally too much to take in with one go, so I tried to do just that and well, now I am overwhelmed. I think all the stuff you need to build a game is there what I need to learn is implementation.

2018-08-01 12:58:05

OK, now the only thing I need to know is how to implement 3D sound system? Can you provide guidance for that as well?

2018-08-01 17:00:37

hmm, maybe this page can help you in samtupy's website
http://www.samtupy.com/dev
i also have reza's class for 3d sound, i'll put it heare if you like, it also have a testing for how to let players build map, etc this stuf

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2018-08-01 18:36:34

so create a directory called sounds or whatever. Move and run pack_creater.bgt, enter a name, then when it asks for a path, enter sounds and it'll pack all files in the directory.
Can you provide more detail on what you mean by a 3d sound system? If it's what I think, check sound_positioning.bgt from the includes folder. The function your looking for is
void position_sound_3d(sound@ handle, int listener_x, int listener_y, int listener_z, int source_x, int source_y, int source_z, float pan_step, float volume_step, float behind_pitch_decrease)
Or if you'd like, sound_pool3d.bgt.

2018-08-02 05:28:42

Gotcha guys. I'll go step by step, so programming is first. Then server implementation and then 3d sound system. 3d sound system carter means the real one, not the pitch decrease. Like if a dragon is flying above you, it's roar will come from above... And when it's firing it's firebreath, the sound of that breath will come from it's position from  up to down. Basically I want a full 720degrees sound implementation....

2018-08-02 05:29:19

Oh and yeah I also need to learn audacity to modify sounds... I don't think any bought sound will satisfy me big_smile

2018-08-02 05:44:57

You will have to find something that works with BGT. Libaudioverse, which is the 3d system Sam and Mason use in their games, is very interesting. If a sound is directly next to you it will just sound like it is slightly behind you. Besides, I don't think you're gonna get that engine any time soon, so I would rather you start programming first, and then you can worry about trying to create a new BGT sound engine. If you want to switch to a different sound engine, you might as well learn another language. BGT at this point is not really worth learning, those who know bgt already will hold on to its support as long as they can. But others plan to move on like myself at some point.

Ivan M. Soto.
Feel free to check out my work and services.
http://ims-productions.com

2018-08-02 06:34:26

Exactly. Programming comes first. Although this sound system by Sam and Mason sounds intresting... I'll look over them later on.

2018-08-02 11:20:00

Hey, what language would you suggest to build my own sound engine with a complete 720º implementation?

2018-08-02 14:20:36

idk, maybe python is good at this, i've tested many skripts with bgt and python, and it worked for me
building your game step by step, you  can't mayke it on a day big_smile

sound is my vision

2018-08-02 14:28:20 (edited by sunshine 2018-08-02 14:33:14)

Oh, damn. I do have a habit of rushing around... I need a team to work with me... I've an online, multiplayer,  first person shooter in mind, but totally unlike we've ever seen before... With traditional, modern and melee weapons out of the picture because we have them in plenty of amount big_smile
I'll soon have a script for the game ready, the script we mean: storyline. Then I'll start coding. Hopefully I'll get some people to work with me ... Otherwise it's going to be super hard making the game by myself neutral

2018-08-02 16:30:51

Dude You don't get a 720 degrees sound orientation like you are thinking. In all of the sound libraries i have ever seen you need to work with vectors to position sounds, and orientation is done by having a vector pointing towards the direction you are facing. Pretty complicated stuff for now.
And don't go too fast. An online first person shooting style game isn't that easy that you are saying. You better first start with a simple guess the number game, then an offline side scroler, then an offline first person shooting game, then online ones! You have a long way ahead, Plus i'm not trying to sound too distructive. But you're going too fast and this might result demotivation on failears, Then cloning other games which is likely the most unaccepted thing in this forum hehehe.

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2018-08-02 16:42:37

yes you can't as  post 17 saed, and you need to start by coding smaller games then ofline games simple for you that you can understand how it actully  work

sound is my vision

2018-08-02 18:54:06

I'm working on smallish games at the moment. Maybe I'm going too fast, but the ideas I am having for the online fps won't let me copy from anything big_smile the game is supposed to be totally different from the ones we're accustomed to play. Maybe it'd take years to even get the game ready for beta testing, but I won't give up! And having a team of coders with me would bolster the resolve and the difficulties for me would be reduced as well.

2018-08-02 18:56:27

In fact the sounds required for that game would have to be built by audacity because those sounds won't be readily  available on the internet. So all in all, I am looking ahead for years and years of work big_smile

2018-08-02 20:49:18

I'm with post 12 here. From what I've heard, BGT won't be the best option for you. It's great, unless you want an action packed multiplayer game. Take it from me, it's really not worth it. Save yourself while you can!

2018-08-03 01:15:17

Hi Gaurav.
It's good your working on programming, but do take it slow. I can tell your eager, and that's very good, but you will set yourself up for failure if you go too fast.
Also if your planning on doing a big game like this, throw out BGT, and learn a real language. There are many good ones out there, python, c# (pronounced c sharp), and if you want something that looks like BGT code c++. C++ isn't exactly beginner friendly, but it can be done.
Personally I would recommend c# or python, since they are the simplest to learn, python especially. And because of a neat new editor I discovered, called EdSharp, the indentation aspect won't confuse you. Here is the EdSharp github page , it's simple to setup, whether your using JAWS or NVDA. And then go to python site , and get your python version, I would recommend 3 rather than 2.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-08-03 06:11:37

Thank you everyone. I'll go ahead and learn  bgt, pithan, and C# (I can actually swallow all that knowledge pretty easily tongue ). Anyways Carter it'd be an action game but I don't know how to tell you guys without spoiling the storyline ROFL... Consider that the melee, traditional shooter and modern shooter weapons + bombs and other modern stuff will be out of that game. No modern element. Now, I can't divulge much here it'd ruin my storyline big_smile

2018-08-03 06:41:03

Hi.
Well if you can learn all three at once, go ahead. That seems a little daunting to me, but it's a possibility you can learn all three no problem. Especially because programming concepts are reusable no matter what language you switch to.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-08-05 20:28:29

OK fokes, I've ditched bgt and I'm learning python now to make my games.