2018-07-26 02:08:17

What's up guys. I purchased one of these a little over a month ago and i finally received it today. For those not in the loop, the GPD Win2 is a palmtop windows 10 computer. It feels slightly bigger and thicker than a Nintendo 3DS XL. It runs a full windows 10, has a 6 inch 1280x720 touchscreen, uses an m.2 2242 upgradeable SSD, has 8 GB of ram and is powered by an Intel core m3-7y30 CPU with integrated graphics. It has a regular big usb 3 slot, as well as USB C, for charging and also for data transfer.  It has a full qwerty keyboard (think of old blackberry-style, but with a more traditional layout), as well as an xbox-esque gamepad built-in to it. No clickable sticks but those are replaced by extra shoulder buttons on the back which does this. You can find lots of guys online getting all kinds of emulators and games working on it. In terms of emulators, theirs even a few low-demand PS3 games it can run, but the PS2 erra and back is what this thing is best with. Even better if you switch the graphics backend to "null" in the emulators that allow this option. Personally, I plan to upgrade the storage and get a large SD card because i also want to use this as a little portable audio/music recording rig, and as a mediaplayer. At first I was a bit frustrated with the keyboard but as time goes on I'm slowly starting to get used to it. What's nice is that the arrow keys are in a regular T shape and they're noticable because of the bumps on them. The alt, windows, fn and ctrl keys are in different places on the left side but it only takes a little bit to figure it out. NVDA runs just fine with it as well. Rite when I got it I booted from a USB I had prepared with a Talking Windows PE and reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 10, and removed all the garbage I could.
I'm curious to know whether or not other people on here looked into this thing. I've seen it mentioned here and there but I haven't seen any topics dedicated to it. I think this is a pretty sick piece of tech in general, not just for games, since it runs on windows, you could find all kinds of uses for it. Any questions asked I'll be glad to answer.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:
https://discord.gg/2duutDtGFa

2018-07-26 03:36:44

Man, I should save some money for this. would love to use this as my go to emulation computer.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2018-07-26 03:58:47

I'll have to check into this.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-26 04:12:40

I've been thinking about getting it tbh, I just want to know what games it can run.
Someone on youtube tested GTA 5 on it, and it started to lag after awhile.
So if you can try a few games and let us know how well they work out with you it'll be really appreciated.
Games like mkx, GTA 5 and as an example, if you have them of course.

2018-07-26 04:14:43

The new GPD Win doesn't have joysticks? What? If this is true, I'll hang onto my original Win with the Z8750 processor. I don't know why they decided to make the price so high for this new model. Have they fixed the complete shutdown issue when you put the unit in sleep mode? I haven't figured out how to fix this on mine so must use hibernate when I want to close the lid. Does the new Win charge faster? Mine takes around 3 hours to charge fully. What are the power specifications on it? Mine only uses 5v at 2.5 amps I think.

Having said all that, the Win is a fantastic little device! It's the ultimate pocket computer I've always wanted.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-07-26 04:15:30

MasterChief wrote:

I've been thinking about getting it tbh, I just want to know what games it can run.
Someone on youtube tested GTA 5 on it, and it started to lag after awhile.
So if you can try a few games and let us know how well they work out with you it'll be really appreciated.
Games like mkx, GTA 5 and as an example, if you have them of course.

I believe with GTA V it was a memory issue. I can give it a shot, I do have a copy of GTA V that's legit and not the cracked version i've been using for a while. Also, do you know about the safemode commandline switch? That turns the graphics down to the lowest settings. Works in GTA IV as well

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:

2018-07-26 04:16:56 (edited by NevEd 2018-07-26 04:21:31)

Chris wrote:

The new GPD Win doesn't have joysticks? What? If this is true, I'll hang onto my original Win with the Z8750 processor. I don't know why they decided to make the price so high for this new model. Have they fixed the complete shutdown issue when you put the unit in sleep mode? I haven't figured out how to fix this on mine so must use hibernate when I want to close the lid. Does the new Win charge faster? Mine takes around 3 hours to charge fully. What are the power specifications on it? Mine only uses 5v at 2.5 amps I think.

Having said all that, the Win is a fantastic little device! It's the ultimate pocket computer I've always wanted.

Mine has joysticks. Your talking about thumbsticks, rite? I didn't pledge to the IGG campaign so I dodged the pre-retail issues that popped up. No shut down in sleep mode issues for me.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:

2018-07-26 04:21:40

Yes, I'm referring to the two joysticks inside the clamshell. I'm glad to know that they kept the joysticks.

2018-07-26 04:28:49 (edited by NevEd 2018-07-26 04:34:28)

I should also mention, the D-Pad is a little squishy. The d-pad itself is fine, it's just that the press down is mushy. I haven't tried any beat 'em ups yet though but for the little bit i've played rite now, it's not a big deal for me. I just wonder why they couldnt've had a 3ds like d-pad, that one is perfect.  It's also a little jarring going from regular full moving thumbsticks on an xbox360 controller to the ones on the gpd win 2, theirs not much between a small movement of the stick and the dead zone... Theirs a technical term that i'm looking for to describe this, but my mind is drawing a blank at the moment. I've also noticed (and maybe this is just me not looking hard enough), but it seems like the model I have did away with the replaceable lid. Out of curiosity I tried to find the lip to pry it off but i couldn't find it.. I've had thoughts of an LTE powered mobile windows gaming rig and that would've been cool as hell to do.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:

2018-07-26 04:54:18 (edited by Chris 2018-07-26 04:55:05)

I completely agree with you on LTE! This is the one thing that this awesome machine lacks. I wonder if you could use a USB adapter to add it?

When you reinstalled Windows, did you have to hunt down drivers? I did when I did a fresh install on my Win. However, I can't find the driver downloads anymore. Does GPD maintain a support page somewhere with the latest BIOS and drivers for all their Windows products?

2018-07-26 05:06:05

Chris wrote:

I completely agree with you on LTE! This is the one thing that this awesome machine lacks. I wonder if you could use a USB adapter to add it?

When you reinstalled Windows, did you have to hunt down drivers? I did when I did a fresh install on my Win. However, I can't find the driver downloads anymore. Does GPD maintain a support page somewhere with the latest BIOS and drivers for all their Windows products?

You could use an LTE USB modem, the trick is to just find a slim-lined one. That of course leaves your usb slot empty so you gotta have a micro sd card with stuff on it or a big SSD. I saw guys over on reddit and in youtube comments talking about putting an LTE modem in the lid, my guess is that the ribbon cable would hang out of the lid and go into the USB.. Something like that. Not sure how reliable that'd be but I don't know jack and shit when it comes to modding so maybe someone can school me. As for the drivers, only one I had to install was the driver for the touchscreen. GPD's sight isn't the greatest when it comes to hosting stuff for their own products, they rely a lot on mega.nz. I do too but if I could move to another file host/sharing service that doesn't cap you every 5 gb I would. Plus, why would a tech company not have their own servers to host downloads for their products? This is especially bad because when they upload their firmware images it includes the hole windows install with it, so you better have a VPN and a little more patience than I think should be required for something like that. GPD's site has a hole section dedicated to firmware and drivers for everything, it isn't the most organized thing in ghe world either but at least the only driver you have to worry about is for the touchscreen. It's not an installer, which confused me at first, but if you go into device manager, under other devices, there will be an unknown device, just go to update driver and browse to where you downloaded it. Super easy.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:

2018-07-26 06:17:52

I've seen the gpd win run Final burn alpha, an arcade emulator similar to mame.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2018-07-26 06:46:28

oh, wow!! I am definitely getting my hands on this for the most portable music rig ever for now using lots of sampling and stuff wit htings. I wonder if I can replace my ssd from my laptop into that one. that would be super so I would not have to really upgrade the ssd.
I also wonder how much is the battery on it, only big thing would be to know if it has any audio jacks or outputs ETC

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-07-26 06:50:53

UltraLeetJ wrote:

oh, wow!! I am definitely getting my hands on this for the most portable music rig ever for now using lots of sampling and stuff wit htings. I wonder if I can replace my ssd from my laptop into that one. that would be super so I would not have to really upgrade the ssd.
I also wonder how much is the battery on it, only big thing would be to know if it has any audio jacks or outputs ETC

Sampling? What do you make? The SSD isn't proprietary but it's oddly specific, because of the formfactor, you need a m.2 2242 sata ssd, and rite now theirs a shortage, Transcend stopped making theirs for some reason. Theirs a headphone jack which i think also functions as a line-in but idk for sure. It's actually a double-battery pack, i forgot what batteries they were specifically but they're pretty good from the research i've done.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:

2018-07-26 08:52:22 (edited by SLJ 2018-07-26 08:55:43)

Hi.
Wow... Sounds like a cool computer. Do I get it right that it only plays Windows games and not console games? Sounds like a cool kind of laptop. I mean: Do you install the ps2 emulators on it which is made for Windows, or does it have other kinds of emulators, which runs beside Windows?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-07-26 15:06:03

SLJ wrote:

Hi.
Wow... Sounds like a cool computer. Do I get it right that it only plays Windows games and not console games? Sounds like a cool kind of laptop. I mean: Do you install the ps2 emulators on it which is made for Windows, or does it have other kinds of emulators, which runs beside Windows?

It can run linux, (I probably won't be trying this, so i'm sure other people will give it a shot), and I think it'll run Android x86. Other than that it's basically designed to run Windows, so yeah, all the emulators from windows should work. With console games, at least regarding xbox1 and ps4, since I think that's what you mean, you can stream them. I haven't done this but they supposedly work fine. You can also do this with a more beefy game pc if you have one.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:

2018-07-27 08:15:30

Thanks for your reply.
I've read some more about those computers. The Windows versions are basically just small laptops with a touch screen and build in joysticks. I hope they will come to my country soon, because they sounds really cool. They have awesome specs, and I like that the laptop is only 7 inch.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-07-27 08:19:59 (edited by NevEd 2018-07-27 08:21:22)

SLJ wrote:

Thanks for your reply.
I've read some more about those computers. The Windows versions are basically just small laptops with a touch screen and build in joysticks. I hope they will come to my country soon, because they sounds really cool. They have awesome specs, and I like that the laptop is only 7 inch.

I purchased mine on Amazon, you might be able to do the same, it might be a little pricy there at the moment though. Theirs another state called aliexpress, GPD sell their stuff on there as well.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:

2018-07-27 17:22:14

I'm just curious, can this thing actually support newer games? EG: Mortal Kombat X, Injustice 2, Killer Instinct... I suggested those 3 because they're basically the benchmark for stuff that I'd actually be playing. lol

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-07-27 19:59:17

BlindNinja wrote:

I'm just curious, can this thing actually support newer games? EG: Mortal Kombat X, Injustice 2, Killer Instinct... I suggested those 3 because they're basically the benchmark for stuff that I'd actually be playing. lol

I do have MK XL, not sure if that version is different from the ordinary one, the others I don't have. Actually I think i have an install for killer instinct somewhere on my external. I'm sure if this thing can run Tekken 7 (theirs a youtube video of a guy getting 30 FPS), I'm sure it'll run those just fine. Theoretically it could play any game but the more demanding you get, the more scaling back you have to do. Theirs a guy on youtube called Low Spec Gamer who basically tries to get games working on potatoes.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:

2018-07-27 20:44:53

I'm not actually sure what Tekken 7's specs are, should check out the steam page. But yeah, XL is probably the exact same spec wise.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-07-31 02:33:33

NevEd wrote:

Sampling? What do you make?

well, I meant for say, jamming using a smaller midi controller and putting samples to showcase, i do play with some groups on which we do use samples from other songs and stuff for transitions so this can be helpful in that regard.

The SSD isn't proprietary but it's oddly specific, because of the formfactor, you need a m.2 2242 sata ssd, and rite now theirs a shortage, Transcend stopped making theirs for some reason.

well, that's a bummer

Theirs a headphone jack which i think also functions as a line-in but idk for sure. It's actually a double-battery pack, i forgot what batteries they were specifically but they're pretty good from the research i've done.

well, nice, I would assume having an interface would just work and in much better respects. If its only one audio jack then its very likely its for those hybrid kind of headsets that combine speakers and microphones in one setup because obviously who would use those basic cheap mics anymore the ones inside headphones usually sound much better.
As for the battery... how long does it last in average per charge?

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-07-31 03:12:27

Ah, that's interesting, was curious cause I make sample-based Hip-Hop. MAybe i'm the only one that uses line-in ports still haha. When I'm sitting idle at the desktop, the time remaining on the battery when at 100% is 6 hours+. But I use a different windows 10 version that is tweaked and slim-line so that could have a hand in it.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:

2018-08-02 14:39:24

I have researched this a lot, and asked if anyone on here had one a while ago, but that was shortly after the people who pre-ordered them started to finally receive them. I mostly just wanted it to play games as I have a Mac and a vm that has issues with certain things. I also wanted to use it to test the full version of this screen reader that someone gave me. I thought since I might have enough to buy this, it would be better to give the developer a review of the English version using normal windows 10 like most of their customers would have. I liked it because it's so small and I travel a lot. I also like the idea of using it as a media device. However I haven't committed to buying it yet because I haven't been able to feel the keyboard. I assume it's probably not the best typing experience because it's so tiny, but is it workable? Is their an insert or caps lock key or do you need to remap the NVDA key?
That's interesting that you seem to have a version that doesn't have the removable lid. I specifically remember watching a youtube video of a guy showing how he opened his. With games that allow you to use a joystick, can you use the built in sticks or would you still need a separate controller? I have never been a serious enough gamer to look at buying a controller, but having one sort of built in to the computer would be a nice bonus. Do you know of any other computers this size that are close to it in terms of power? I saw adds for one other cheeper competing model, but that used an atom processor I think, and it limited the ability to upgrade the ssd.  I think that's all the questions I have for now.

2018-08-02 16:31:18 (edited by NevEd 2018-08-02 16:36:18)

arcadia wrote:

I have researched this a lot, and asked if anyone on here had one a while ago, but that was shortly after the people who pre-ordered them started to finally receive them. I mostly just wanted it to play games as I have a Mac and a vm that has issues with certain things. I also wanted to use it to test the full version of this screen reader that someone gave me. I thought since I might have enough to buy this, it would be better to give the developer a review of the English version using normal windows 10 like most of their customers would have. I liked it because it's so small and I travel a lot. I also like the idea of using it as a media device. However I haven't committed to buying it yet because I haven't been able to feel the keyboard. I assume it's probably not the best typing experience because it's so tiny, but is it workable? Is their an insert or caps lock key or do you need to remap the NVDA key?
That's interesting that you seem to have a version that doesn't have the removable lid. I specifically remember watching a youtube video of a guy showing how he opened his. With games that allow you to use a joystick, can you use the built in sticks or would you still need a separate controller? I have never been a serious enough gamer to look at buying a controller, but having one sort of built in to the computer would be a nice bonus. Do you know of any other computers this size that are close to it in terms of power? I saw adds for one other cheeper competing model, but that used an atom processor I think, and it limited the ability to upgrade the ssd.  I think that's all the questions I have for now.

The keyboard is definitely doable. It's a 95% traditional layout. The capslock key is in it's normal place, it works just fine, no need to change the NVDA modifier. The W A S and D keys are raised, there are also standard bumps on the normal f and j keys, they're also on the arrows, which makes it easier to find them. The del key is rite above the enter key. Only thing that confused me at first was that the keys on the left of the space bar aren't the normal layout, instead of alt, win, fn and ctrl, it's win, fn, alt and ctrl. But I got used to that pretty fast. The typing experience is definitely doable, possibly even more if you have a bit more patience than me. I'm still not 100% with it yet but i'm getting there, i can type decently fast with it. The controller layout is a little different, the thumbsticks are inward and the d-pad and face buttons are outward, and l1, l2, l3 and r1, r2 and r3 are all on the back. the l1 l2 and r1 r2 buttons are on top of each other, like a traditional xbox or playstation controller and the l3 and r3 buttons are rite next to them. I got used to it fairly fast. For it's formfactor, it's definitely not matched by anything at the moment.. Yeah, the win 1 uses and atom CPU, with 4 gb ram. IMO 4 GB of ram is kind of constraining. The Win2 has 8, I wish it was upgradable to 16 but 8 is good enough for me. IT also has active cooling, if you remember, the win 1 had a fan switch that you had to control manually. It also used EMMC memory as it's storage, not as fast as the m.2 2242 ssd the win 2 uses. When I get some more cash I also plan to get a 1 tb SSD (if this goddamn shortage would end), a 400 gb uhs sd card, a usb c hub with more parts that you would see on a regular computer with powery delivery, and a nice keyboard. So I can turn it into a kind of Windows Switch. Then I'll delete Windows off my macbook. I haven't tried any keyboard only games with that keyboard though, personally I don't think the keyboard is that comfortable enough to use for that, but for typing regularly it's just fine. I think mine does have the removable lid, it's just that the lip isn't obvious if you can't see it. I had my brother look at it and he saw it, it's inconspicuous I guess. I don't feel comfortable removing it though as it puts pressure on the screen, but maybe that's just me being paranoid. With the built-in joystick, theirs a switch that makes it function as a mouse. When it's to the left, the left stick is scrolling, the rite stick is your mouse pointer, and the r1 and l1 buttons are rite-click and left-click. L2 and r2 decrease and increase speed of the mouse pointer. When it's to the rite it's just a regular xinput device.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord: