2018-07-12 19:33:27

For some reason I am unable to play games made with bgt. The 2 I am currently struggling to play are Crazy Party and The Great Cheese Robbery. When I try to play Crazy Party no matter how many times I download it or what version I get this error message. The file data.dat is probably corrupted. Try redownloading it from an official source. When I try to run The Great Cheese Robbery I the program launches but does nothing and I have to end it with task manager. I checked my anti-virus software and firewall but that does not seem to be blocking anything. I tried running the games as an admin, taking ownership of the files but nothing. If anyone has any suggestions of things to try that would be great!

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2018-07-12 21:58:13

To be sure it isn't your anti virus, temporarily disable it, then try running the games. Just don't forget to turn it back on after you are done.

If disabling the anti virus resolves the problem, you will have to set up your anti virus program to not scan the directories where the games are installed.

2018-07-12 22:42:22

Hi.
Yes disable your anti-virus. Also try seeing if the game window shows up. This is probably your computer blocking the BGT games, which happens a lot with BGT games.'Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-07-13 02:37:44

Hi,
It sounds like your antivirus is blocking the programs from accessing other files on the filesystem.

2018-07-13 03:54:29

Further to this point, just because your anti virus isn't finding anything, doesn't mean that it's not blocking access to files.

For example:

At the beginning of each month I use MSE to do a full scan of my system before I start a new full system backup. This month MSE finished the full system scan without finding anything, but Backup and Restore couldn't complete the backup because MSE was blocking access to a file in the shadow copy service Backup and Restore uses to access the files on the hard disk. Reopening MSE now shows that it found a virus, or so it thinks. Deleting the file allows the backup to successfully finish.

Why it didn't object to the file during the full system scan or why it thinks the file is infected only when it is accessed through the shadow copy service is beyond me, but this has been a bug in MSE that has been there since it was first released.

2018-07-13 07:17:28

I did turn off Vipre but they still won't work.

2018-07-13 07:49:20

Hi.
Maybe Windows Defender blocks the files. It would be worth checking if Windows Defender is turned off when you are using an other antivirus program.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-07-13 17:44:27

Yep Windows Defender is off. I tried all the basic things and still nothing. I don't know what else it could be.

2018-07-13 18:20:04

What edition and version of Windows are you running?

2018-07-17 02:02:37

Windows 10

2018-07-17 02:04:38

32 or 64 bit?

2018-07-17 02:22:04

Sorry 64 bit and its pro. Version 10.0.17134

2018-07-17 04:17:53

Dude I wonder if your computer is fucked, like let's say its saying that because it's not able to generate the hash correctly, you've got single bit errors creeping in and shit like that, well the windows Kernel has gotten better at detecting that and BSODing you right away if it happens. Like if I want to make sure a file is not tampered with in BGT, I might make it generate a hash and store that string somewhere, like in the registry, so it would load the string has from the registry, compare the file and if even a single bit is off in the file, it would fail the check, and the developer's code for handling that eventuality would come into play. what if your computer isn't really able to generate hashes correctly or something. I don't know, that's out there a bit, but so is this, I mean 9 times out of every 10 with this its an antivirus issue.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-17 04:39:47

I've also heard that 64 bit Windows has some strange compatibility issues.

Besides not needing more than 4 Gb of memory, that is one of the reasons why I've chosen to keep using 32 bit Windows.

2018-07-17 07:43:51

Have you checked for spyware and malware? Just a thought.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-07-18 22:18:29 (edited by x0 2018-07-18 23:07:33)

I knew a virus once called neshta that would run apps from a temporary namespace when you ran them, and would infect things, so that may be the cause of the error. Another thing worth trying is opening a command line in that directory or browsing to it and running the exe. Then your working directory is correctly set. On my computer for some reason the working directory, if not explicit, defaults to C:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2ult. I have no idea why it defaults the path to there or how I can go about changing it. However bgt games seems to be about the only thing that this weird working directory broken thing doesn't affect.
edit: the working directory break actually was a bug with settings in xplorer2 that I missed, I have fixed it now and it is specific to xplorer2 so it shouldn't affect you... It's just a checkbox in its settings.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2018-07-19 12:51:19

Before you unzip the downloaded file, make sure it's unblocked. Access the zip file's properties and unblock the file. Then unzip it.

2018-07-19 19:09:14

Thanks x0 and
Munawar I will try that! Yep I checked for spyware
and malware.