2010-07-22 10:51:39

what different voice synths are there around?

2010-07-22 15:52:30

Absolutely loads! Myself, I use realspeak daniel for Sapi things like games sinse i was lucky enough to have a freely useable copy rather than the program specific one which is tied to Hal and Jaws these days (realspeak are extremely mean not to allow people to use the synth for other things as in the past).

For general screen reading I stil use Orphius, which has been the default voice for Hal for years, with the voice Alan, which is one of the more human orphius voices (you can here it in some of my podcasts).

It's extremely quick and responsive and imho far better sounding than eloquence.

You might however look at the company seerprock. they've got some pretty fantastic voices and I've been teatering on the edge of buying one for Sapi stuff for a while. see http://www.cereproc.com/home for details.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-07-22 16:47:31

is that the voice you used for your smuglers review back in 2008?

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2010-07-22 17:06:47

Yes, that review was done with Orphius Alan. As I said, I find it the best alternative betwene responsiveness for a synth and good, clear and human sound.

There are more human voices out there, but I find them rather to be hardware hogs and thus can't actually keep up with my typing speed even on word echo, where as Orphius can, and obviously doesn't sound too bad at all.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-07-22 17:48:38

do you mean musical synths?, or voice synths.

2010-07-22 18:13:19

Brandon said voice synths, by which I assume he means synthetic voices to use with screen readers, ie, eloquence, loquendo, real speak, orphius, at&T etc.

As I said, I favour orphius Alan for Hal, and Realspeak daniel for sapi, ---- though I might treat myself to one of the seerprock voices which sound pretty awsome at some stage in the future.

2010-07-23 01:18:19

I use eloquence for NVDA< whose Amer english voice is ok, and for british stuff, I use svox pico. I also use espeak sapi5 because I can't afford a realspeak one.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2010-07-23 17:14:04 (edited by bryant 2010-07-23 17:15:45)

i like realspeak tom and daniel. I am using tom right now

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2010-07-23 17:30:34 (edited by Brandon Williams 2010-07-25 14:11:58)

thanks for all the replies! what is realspeek? i've heard of espeak because the setup comes with klango i think. you know when people record synths like espeak voices (battlezone cut seens) and jors voice's (tresure hunt). how do you record voices for cut seens?

2010-07-23 19:30:18

Realspeak are a set of voices produced by the company Scansoft.

They tend to sound fairly human and pronounce things well, and thus come bundled with some speech software including Hal and Jaws.

it's actually a pre-recorded version of realspeak daniel you here speaking all the menues and such in sound rts.

the only problem is that recently scansoft have been very mean with their voices, so that the one which come with jaws and hal can only be used for those applications, and not for sapi, however some peoplee (like myself), stil have copies of the old voice installs from previous versions kicking around and can thus use them for sapi, though this is probably not something the company like too much sinse they'd rather people bought their voices.

E speak on the other hand is a free speech synthesisor which may be run with sapi (hence it's downloading for Klango), and has nothing to do with the real speak voices.

Hope this explains matters.

As I said, i might well treat myself to one of the seerprock voices at some point sinse they are superior even to realspeak daniel.

2010-07-23 19:44:48

HOW MUCH DO THE REAL SPEAK VOICES COST? Do you think they are actually real humans?

2010-07-23 23:10:01

usully about 50bucks each.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2010-07-24 01:30:29 (edited by Ethin 2010-07-24 01:32:41)

So if you were buyin Dan, AND ANOTHER VOICE, it WOULD BE $100.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2010-07-25 15:31:24

what is a buck?
what's the accessable version of audasity?

2010-07-25 15:32:27

how do you change the pich in realspeek recording?

2010-07-27 13:42:28

Well Ethin, the realspeak voices are partly human, sinse they were the first company to actually use sampled human speech to create the basic phonemes out of which words are created that the synth speaks, ---- one reason why they've done so well, sinse all the previously produced voices such as Eloquence, microsoft's own and even orphius were produced using a computer to generate the basic building blocks the words were created out of.

recently however, other companies such as seerprock have started using similar,  ---- and to some extent superior techniques, so technology has caught up.

hope this explains matters.

As to accessible audacity I don't know sinse I use a rowland digital voice recorder for recording jobs.

bucks however, is just slang for american Dollars, rather the way "quid" is slang for pounds here in England.

As regards changing realspeak's pitch, that I don't believe you can do unfortunately, though I've never really thought that necessary myself.

2010-07-27 22:51:53

i like quids. it's just a shame i've not got enough.
lol
you know in battle zone when you are speeking your voice is higher than the boss's.
how can you use a phone to record off your computer?

2010-07-27 22:58:37

Hmmm, why would you use a phone to record? I'm afraid i'm a litle confused as to that one.

Either you can use a microphone of some sort and a recording and sound editing program such as audacity, goldwave or even the default windows recorder, or you can do what I do and buy a hardware digital recorder which plugs into a computer to transfer files. Thats what I've used for the various podcasts.

2010-07-28 11:02:06

roland dijitle voice recorder.

2010-07-28 11:13:34

what?

The rowland recorder I mean is the ederol r09 digital voice recorder with sterrio mikes, ---- what does that have to do with phones?

2010-07-28 11:17:33

roland's a phone. i got a bit confused.

2010-07-28 15:12:37

i can't use the demo bar at sierprock. how can i use this?

2010-08-03 10:38:18

what musicle synths are around?