2018-06-22 21:41:13

Here's how I see it.

A lot of your backstory won't make a lot of sense until the game gets started anyhow as we'll have to adjust depending on world and purpose of the campaign.

Here's what I want from your character backstory.

1. name
2. race and subrace if applicable
3. age
4. basic physical characterstics (fat, thin, burly, lithe, weatherbeaten, cheerful, stuff like that) it shouldn't take more than a few word. On the physical stuff, if you spend more than a couple short sentences on it, you've done too much.
background: in terms of actual background you choose.
class and subclass: I know many classes don't have their subclass at level 2 but I want you to make the choice at character creation anyway. In the case of warlocks, who effectively choose their subclass twice (once at level 3 and once when they pick what kind of patron they have) all I need is the patron.

traits: the 2 traits you pick as your character traits from your background, you are free to mix and match them up and aren't limited to what the book provides, and you can make up or change them as you want provided they still make a coherent character. Also explain your bond, ideal, and flaw. You must have one of each of the last 3.
alignment: what is your character's alignment? any alignment is okay except for chaotic evil.

a short written description talking about the backstory of your character, a paragraph or two is all I require but the more you give me, the more easily I can work your character into the world. That said, as we don't even quite know what world or type of campaign we are doing, keep things relatively vague.

if you choose things that are campaign-specific such as being A waterdevian noble (from Sword Coast Adventurer's guide and being specific to the forgotten realms.) and we don't play there, you can either say you are from that world (I allow a lot of hopping about the multiverse) or I can create something close enough to waterdeep to satisfy your  background. Basically if you are a Waterdevian Noble in a world where Waterdeep doesn't exist, I will create a flourishing powerful city-state with some of the key aspects of waterdeep.

2018-06-22 23:26:58

A couple more questions... just kidding. I think I'll be good to go. Let us know how are you planning to do the session, through skype, through teamtalk, etc.  I think I'll create a character in the first session. That would make it easier for both of us, you set the world and me fitting my character in.

2018-06-23 00:09:42 (edited by bookrage 2018-06-23 00:14:31)

we'll be doing things via Skype. We'll just be e-mailing each other most of the time. Skype will be for the sessions only. I'm thinking about bi-weekly sessions that will occur on Saturdays at 2 Pm Eastern Time for 3 hours. That is 7 PM British time, 8 PM in central Europe, and I'm not certain about other places.

also for those of you thinking about characters so far it looks like our party might contain

1. a high elven silver dragon sorcerer
2. a fir bolg or wood elf circle of the moon or circle of the sheopard druid, though it sounds like circle of the moon most likely.
3. a ghostwise hafling open-palm monk.

so if you are thinking about what you want to be, lean towards things that aren't dragon sorcerer, monks that take the path of the open palm, or circle of the moon druids. I also of course as said above do not allow wild magic sorcerers, it is too much of a headache as me for a DM to manage.

and just to clarify, I have rules about no two players having the same sub-class, but I don't restrict race and subrace the same way. If everyone wanted to be a mountain dwarf, that would be fine.

2018-06-23 06:50:31

We won't start for a couple of weeks, right?

2018-06-23 13:38:50

yeah, it's going to be a bit while I still work everything out.

2018-06-23 15:21:03

Then like I said, keep us posted.

2018-06-28 00:45:10 (edited by bookrage 2018-06-28 01:03:25)

well as things stand I think I have a whole party of players up now, but we're going to not be starting for a bit, both so I can get stuff together myself, things can get good for the players, and just to get some housekeeping done.

@amerikranian, if you are still interested, please send me your e-mail and Skype info in a Private message and then we can get you started good. I can hook you up with several books you don't have and we can get the communication going.

I might take longer, but as things stand I am aiming for the first session we have together to be on the 21st of July at 2 PM Eastern (7 PM British time) 8 PM European time. and the session will last for 3 hours. We then will try to have biweekly sessions. That is the second session will be on August 4th, and then 18th, and so on and so forth.

Attendance is not required at all sessions, and we will have one as long as I can get at least 4 of the 6 players I'm looking at. If you however vanish off the face of the Earth, I might recruit a new player to replace you.

I'd like to have basic character concepts from each of you that I've gotten in contact with by then, and once I have the communication info for all of you I'll send out a document with the 3 choices of basic campaign arc for you to vote on. Voting will last one week and I will break any ties.

so far for those of you who have not made characters, it looks like our party will have
1. a human champion fighter  (I forgot to tell them the no-humans rule in communicating to them since they can't go check my rules since they aren't on here so because of my mistake when they handed in a 100% complete character, I didn't want to crush what I should've let them know about ahead of time but forgot to.)
2. A high-elven silver dragon sorcerer (played by LordLuceus.)
3. a circle of of the land (forest) wood elven druid (played by ironcross)
4.  a ghostwise Halfling open-palm monk played by Fox
5. unkown contribution from Nicklas?
6. unknown contribution from  Amerikrainian?

the game can't really effectively handle parties larger than six heroes so I at least for now am not taking more applicants, though I will open it up again if someone decides to leave the game or otherwise stops playing with us and we have room.

so you guys get in touch with me, once I have all the communication stuff I'm going to come up with the different campaign arcs we can do.

2018-06-30 16:34:09

Bookrage, I sent you a PM

2018-06-30 16:36:03

thanks, I'll get to it in a little while. glad to have you aboard.

2018-07-05 19:40:56

okay guys, quick update.

our human fighter player has fallen through and has stepped down. I had someone in reserve and have notified them. If they don't come in I'll open it up for more people. I'll say we have some promising players here so I'm very happy with what I think is going to happen with this group.

2018-07-08 04:32:20

I've been slowly working on refreshing myself with D&D and getting myself back into playing it. I mostly play it on Skype and mostly play 3.0/3.5 edition. Never played 5 edition, though I've heard some interesting things about it.

I've also played a little bit of Basic Fantasy RPG.

I have a ton of brailled gaming dice I use to play with. Been meaning to try and figure a way at playing with minatures.

2018-07-08 05:23:58

ok, so, i won't be able to play until july 30th, or the next session after it, summer camp,

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-07-08 15:09:41

okay Fox, I sent an e-mail out this morning and didn't check this thread, we can bring you in on the 4th of august then.. No problem, depending on what is going on we might not even get things started on the 21st. But I can easily introduce your character, though I'd like an updated character backstory when you can give me one.

2018-07-08 17:03:36

sorry, emailing is hard right now, i will just tell you my answer
the furst one is what i'd prefer

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-07-08 17:06:46

okay, didn't know what was going on with the last one you sent me, but your vote is in and recorded.

2018-07-08 17:09:28

actually now at this point with the votes in that have gotten in, I now know what adventure path we will be doing. I'll let you know.

2018-07-15 21:38:49

Hey. Can someone post the link to the skype group? Searching for bookrage Dungeons and Dragons Project brings up nothing

2018-07-15 21:46:24

I thought I said so before but we are not really using the group. I'm kind of just going to call you guys at 2 PM Eastern time on Saturday and get you guys together.

Rattannah.

2018-07-21 21:48:44

i will be able to join, i think i get back from my second week of this summer camp, on july 30th

----------

2018-07-21 22:53:33

I didnt' even know that we had a skype group smile

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2018-07-21 23:06:54

I tried to form one but there are some admin stuff and JAWS isn't handling the software well strangely so it's just going to be me forming a network of calls on game day.

Also for those of you who haven't done it yet, think of your trinkets. LordLuceus doesn't need one because the heavy story lifting of the trinket will be done by a magical weapon he's getting at the start of the game (don't worry the rest of you, it is pretty pathetic right now and on top of that, he has a handicap because of it that the rest of you won't have as he can only attune 2 magic items to himself maximum while you guys can do three.)

See you guys on the 4th 2 PM eastern.

2018-08-01 21:07:32

hello all

I don't have the Skype contact information for all of you and it is only 3 days until game day.

I need the e-mails from some of you. I have sent PM requests to those of you who haven't given me your  e-mail contacts for Skype. I have also sent e-mails and  also decided to put this post up in case any of you are watching this thread.

just to hedge my bets and make sure as many people can play this Saturday as is possible out of the game group.

other sites I'm part of notify you via e-mail when you get a PM, but apparently not this site.

2018-08-02 00:00:03

hi, don't know if this is to late, but i would love to join, just saw this topic, i'm new to dnd but have watched some stuff about it, bookrage, i'll send you my emale, and can you send me what ever material i'll need

2018-08-02 00:58:32

I'd be happy to, but I have some problems as the license has expired on my e-mail client and so getting you the materials is going to be a bit harder. That said, One of our players I think might have fallen through so I'll keep you in mind. It depends who stays and whether this person is out for just a little bit or permanently.

2018-08-02 14:04:10

sorry group, i'll be out again for the furst session, i will not! i repeat! not! be out of the second!

----------