2018-07-13 10:29:47

I have a suggestion.
Can you put the definition of environmental sound effects into map editing?
Such as the sound of trails, the sound of bridges, the sound of the wind, the sound of birds, etc.
Users can define them when they write maps
The advantage of this is that you can make maps of various background sounds, and you can feel that each map is a different world.
Users only need to put their own sound effects in the sound directory, and then define them in different maps.

2018-07-14 08:01:10

hmmm I think @拓海 that is a good idea, but is necessary take some caution with that.
This is because these sounds, generally are part of a pack / mod,  and well. Currently these only have a few definition for each of them, trails, meadows, forests, bridges, etc, but in the future, when the custom terrains are implemented (like water or something else for mods that want implement that) all of these sounds needs their representative environments.

So, that i want to say with that, Is that these sounds aren't a esthetic modification for each map; they have a signification for the gameplay, indicating rapidly to the players the presents elements on that portion of the map.

But, apart of that sounds, sounds good have a general ambient sound customizable on the map configuration tongue

2018-07-15 10:20:07

What is the most stable version after 1.1.1?

Last night my wife and I played 1.2a9 but after about 60 or so mins the whole game got a bit screwed up, where I killed enemies she still saw the blocks as having the full compliment of enemies and after a few of her things got destroyed I still saw them as being 100% fine etc.

I know there is a 1.2a10 but it worries me that it actually says unstable.

Awesome game this and keep up the good work.

2018-07-15 12:25:46

stormer wrote:

Last night my wife and I played 1.2a9 but after about 60 or so mins the whole game got a bit screwed up, where I killed enemies she still saw the blocks as having the full compliment of enemies and after a few of her things got destroyed I still saw them as being 100% fine etc.

can try 1.2c4

2018-07-15 12:26:05

stormer wrote:

can try 1.2c4

2018-07-15 12:46:13

Thanks, will give that a shot

2018-10-26 04:00:44

hi soundmud, It seems that the new version of the game will take up a relatively high CPU, such as ONJ1 this map, invite 7 AI to play, the game speed will become very slow at first, This will not happen in previous versions.

2018-10-26 16:45:58

I didn't notice the initial slowness in your example. It could be the shortest path algorithm for the workers though. Don't hesitate to describe the problem more and to provide more examples.

On the other hand, there is definitely something new in "continuous" versions which will have an effect when the number of units is increasing.

I have used very simple algorithms to query units affected by vision (sight range), area healing, area harming, cloaking, and detection. Those algorithms will use a lot of CPU time (quadratic or more).

So, yesterday, I have successfully replaced the vision algorithm with a better one, probably good enough (less than quadratic), as long as the sight range is less than 12. I will fix the other queries too (area healing, area harming, cloaking and detection).

I hope to release a first version very soon.

2018-10-26 16:55:42

When I played this map of ONJ1 and invited 7 AIs, my CPU usage immediately reached between 20% and 30%, and sometimes more than 30%, The game reaction has also become dull, even if the speed of the game is accelerated, it is useless.
My friend also has a similar problem.
The game is still updated, I am very happy

SoundMUD wrote:

I didn't notice the initial slowness in your example. It could be the shortest path algorithm for the workers though. Don't hesitate to describe the problem more and to provide more examples.

On the other hand, there is definitely something new in "continuous" versions which will have an effect when the number of units is increasing.

I have used very simple algorithms to query units affected by vision (sight range), area healing, area harming, cloaking, and detection. Those algorithms will use a lot of CPU time (quadratic or more).

So, yesterday, I have successfully replaced the vision algorithm with a better one, probably good enough (less than quadratic), as long as the sight range is less than 12. I will fix the other queries too (area healing, area harming, cloaking and detection).

I hope to release a first version very soon.

2018-10-29 01:53:35

SoundRTS 1.2 continuous 6 is released.

The file is there: (Windows only)
http://jlpo.free.fr/soundrts/continuous … indows.zip

Changes from 1.2 continuous 5:
- optimizations (faster update of perception, area healing, area harming, cloaking and detection ; faster choice of footstep noises when there are many footsteps)
- probably faster reaction in multiplayer games (always use 1 frame per communication turn)

Changes from 1.2 continuous 4:
- bug fixed: in replays the alliances and factions would be wrong
- bug fixed: now the "aggressive 2" AI won't cheat (unlimited resources, tech)
- removed save/restore feature (was broken; I hope I can fix this someday but I can't promise)

For a Linux server this file might help:
http://jlpo.free.fr/soundrts/continuous … 1.2-c6.zip

2018-10-29 02:29:20

thanks

2018-10-29 05:08:00 (edited by Tuohai 2018-10-29 05:19:59)

Have a better suggestion
When a peasant enters a square with resources, he first judges whether there are buildings that can store resources, and If there are buildings in the current square that can store resources, the farmers will start to dig automatically, otherwise the farmers will not execute the automatic excavation command.
In this way, the problem of farmers not listening to the command can be solved.
Automatic mining is only effective if there are buildings in the current square that can store resources.

2018-10-29 14:53:12

Good idea! Easy to try.

2018-10-29 15:57:32

Very good, hope to achieve it soon.

SoundMUD wrote:

Good idea! Easy to try.

2018-10-29 19:43:03

Implementing this idea raised a special case.

For example, when a peasant is carrying gold and didn't have the time to store it to a town hall, if this peasant is told to go to a square containing woods and a lumber mill. By default, before auto-exploiting the woods, the peasant would try to store the gold first, moving away from the square or complaining if no town hall exists anymore, canceling the order.

The solution in this (hopefully rare) case will be that the peasant will lose the gold and proceed with auto-exploiting the woods.

An additional solution would be for the peasant to use any opportunity to store the gold when walking "near" a town hall (automatic storage).

2018-10-30 00:43:13 (edited by SoundMUD 2018-10-30 01:03:25)

SoundRTS 1.2 continuous 7 is available.

Change from 1.2 continuous 6:
- automatic gathering will only start if a warehouse is in the same square

Note: You can still carry goods from a few squares a way back home.
The difference is that if there is no "warehouse" on a square the workers won't automatically start gathering resources, so you will have to give the order to gather resources from a specific deposit.

http://jlpo.free.fr/soundrts/continuous … 1.2-c7.zip

2018-10-30 01:37:26

Fast work efficiency!
thanks

SoundMUD wrote:

SoundRTS 1.2 continuous 7 is available.

Change from 1.2 continuous 6:
- automatic gathering will only start if a warehouse is in the same square

Note: You can still carry goods from a few squares a way back home.
The difference is that if there is no "warehouse" on a square the workers won't automatically start gathering resources, so you will have to give the order to gather resources from a specific deposit.

http://jlpo.free.fr/soundrts/continuous … 1.2-c7.zip

2018-10-30 02:18:05

The probability of this exception is small.
Unless the player is forced to stay away from the base to mine resources

SoundMUD wrote:

Implementing this idea raised a special case.

For example, when a peasant is carrying gold and didn't have the time to store it to a town hall, if this peasant is told to go to a square containing woods and a lumber mill. By default, before auto-exploiting the woods, the peasant would try to store the gold first, moving away from the square or complaining if no town hall exists anymore, canceling the order.

The solution in this (hopefully rare) case will be that the peasant will lose the gold and proceed with auto-exploiting the woods.

An additional solution would be for the peasant to use any opportunity to store the gold when walking "near" a town hall (automatic storage).

2018-10-30 11:38:46

Is the future development direction canceling the concept of the square?
Only distance concept

2018-10-30 15:48:16

I'd say the best solution is to drop off the carried resource in all cases except when the unit is stopped. for example: peasant in a1 exploits goldmine, is ordered to go to a2 immediately, drops off carried gold at townhall in b1, then walks to a2. This behaviour could be bypassed, perhaps, with control + enter. The only problem would arise if the townhall was destroyed, but then you have bigger worries.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2018-10-30 15:54:37

yes, ctrl+backspace Can completely solve

roelvdwal wrote:

I'd say the best solution is to drop off the carried resource in all cases except when the unit is stopped. for example: peasant in a1 exploits goldmine, is ordered to go to a2 immediately, drops off carried gold at townhall in b1, then walks to a2. This behaviour could be bypassed, perhaps, with control + enter. The only problem would arise if the townhall was destroyed, but then you have bigger worries.

2018-10-30 20:17:32

拓海 wrote:

Only distance concept

I don't know.
Maybe units would get the order to move to a point and stay in a circular area around this point.
But how would a completely "natural" map be played? how would the player detect strategic points?
Maybe it's possible. Eventually in a small new project, a "proof of concept" project.

The short-term direction is to continue to optimize the game for speed while freezing features and calling it 1.2 alpha 11.

2018-10-31 01:23:12

It is true that should first consider optimizing the game speed.

SoundMUD wrote:
拓海 wrote:

Only distance concept

I don't know.
Maybe units would get the order to move to a point and stay in a circular area around this point.
But how would a completely "natural" map be played? how would the player detect strategic points?
Maybe it's possible. Eventually in a small new project, a "proof of concept" project.

The short-term direction is to continue to optimize the game for speed while freezing features and calling it 1.2 alpha 11.

2018-10-31 02:10:25

So after a quick brainstorm: I have no idea if these ideas are possible, though

The map could be redefined as different terrains at different heights: for xample grass from height 0 to 1, air from 1 to infinity. Different units could have different walking characteristics: for example, a peasant passes threw air and has to walk on a hard surface. Walls would be differences in height between these surfaces. To scan strategic points, maybe an object list could be implemented. This list would be able to accept filters, for example minimum height of object, minimum area, minimum length, minimum width, etc. I have no idea if this is workable.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2018-11-03 06:14:25

thanks soundmud for this update.
This game is the most updated game that we have in the blind gamer comunnity. more than 11 years developing this engine, and year to year this game will be better and better. You're the best, man.

Thanks for all.