2018-07-02 12:52:35

NVDA does use virtual buffers in all browsers, but not in Edge. It is a work in progress and has issues, but a huuuge page which will crash every browser trying to load a huge virtual buffer wont actually crash in Edge.

2018-07-02 16:57:52

This is the nice thing about Edge: it's forcing screen readers to do away with virtual buffers. Sadly, only Edge's security model at the moment requires scrapping virtual buffers, and Edge is hardly the common browser nowadays. I personally don't know anyone who uses Edge and I think it has much to do with how late accessibility was implemented in it. By the time Edge became usable, people had moved on to other, better solutions.

2018-07-11 19:36:43

don't, install jaws 18! it's dangerous,  my brother had to change his windows because  jaws 18   did something after installation so his laptop wouldn't boot

2018-07-11 19:51:44

How odd. What exactly got changed?

2018-07-11 22:52:39

This is an old topic anyways, and the problem has long been solved with a reformat. If you don't want to install jaws, that's fine, hell NVDA is my primary screen reader, but when somebody asks about a jaws problem don't bother telling them not to install it. If they didn't need to install it, they wouldn't bother asking.

2018-07-13 09:17:03

@53. If jaws is dangerous, why does every school I know make you use it. Come on now. Just because you hate it doesn't mean you have to lie about it. Your bro, probably got a virus or something. It happens.

-
"There is beauty in simplicity."

2018-07-13 11:01:47

well, if anyone remembers, there was a time when jaws was indeed dangerous.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-07-13 11:12:49

I would really like a world, where people discussed things calmly and with arguments rather than accusations. It is not just in this comunity, but everywhere.
Look at the whole iPhone vs. Android. Or even the PUBG vs. Fortnite thing going on.
Every discussion seems to turn into a war of who shouts loudest. In reality, there is no better option. It all comes down to what you as an individual prefers.
In my opinion, you can’t say objectively that Jaws is better than NVDA or that NVDA is better than Jaws. It is like saying that chicken is better than fish. Some people just likes fish better and some people like chicken better.
I know, I also feel sorry for myself because my word isn’t law, but life is tough.
Some like one thing, others another. That’s that. Live with it!

We live on a hunk of rock and metal that circles a humdrum star that is one of 400 billion other stars that make up the Milky Way Galaxy which is one of billions of other galaxies which make up a universe which may be one of a very large number, perhaps an infinite number, of other universes. That is a perspective on human life and our culture that is well worth pondering.
Carl Sagan

2018-07-13 14:49:09

i don't hate it, it's not like i would get money by hating it and liking nvda, i have  both jaws and nvda installed

2018-07-13 15:01:33

Lol, what does this link abowe proove except the fact that you should not crack programs? Can't see how jaws is dangerous and not a crack for it.

2018-07-13 21:43:34 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2018-07-13 21:44:01)

@60
ah, it was just a way to link jaws and dangerous...ness together, nothing too much to worry about lol. It certainly brought back some memories

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-07-14 02:24:20

What I wonder is who was bored enough to write that bit of malware? Lol.

2018-07-18 20:56:41

Sometimes I wonder if JAWS isn't dangerous or at least rather fragile.

My installation of JAWS 2018 May update was working perfectly. Then came the July update and several things got broken, going back to the May update fixed some of what got broken, but not everything.

And all Freedom Scientific has to say about it is that I should delete all of my settings and start over!

For what I paid for it and the SMAs, you'd think that the program would be more robust and not so fragile as to be so easily broken beyond any simple repair when doing something so simple and common as applying an update.

2018-07-19 00:58:30

Odd. Mine works just fine after the update, though I admit I don't do a whole lot of customizing.

2018-07-19 02:16:44 (edited by Orko 2018-07-19 02:20:30)

I don't do a lot of customizing either but there are a few behaviors I change. Such as I turn off the automatic reading of web pages and PDF files upon loading.

When I installed the July update the three things I noticed were:

• The flexible web sound no longer played when a rule was applied

• The filename in the filename field of save as dialogs were not being read

• The history of searched for words or phrases in the find dialog were not being read.

Uninstalling the July update and going back to the May update fixed the last two items but the flexible web sound still doesn't play when it's supposed to.

When they first introduced the new installer, in order to install JAWS, I had to first move the Code Factory Eloquence folders to a temporary location because if I didn't, the installer would generate a bunch of errors from the Themedia DRM system Code Factory uses, which would eventually cause it to fail. After the install of JAWS was done, I could move the folders back to where they belonged.

But in the last couple of months, that problem stopped occurring.

JAWS installs so much other stuff that I have my doubts that it would be possible to remove all traces of JAWS from my system and simply start over. I'd probably have to do a complete reinstall of Windows to accomplish that, and we all know how much fun that is.

The other thing I don't like about the new installer is that it's no longer possible to not install components you don't need. In the past I always disabled installing the remote access components. Not only did I not need them, they were ten times the size of JAWS all by itself, so they turn a 20 Mb install into a 200 Mb install.