2018-05-02 18:59:43

You're missing a quest called Haunted by the Past. It has been discussed in this thread, do a forum search for it if you want to get spoiled.

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
"Cause in a game of life or death, you either live, or you die."
"Wake the fuck up, samurai. We have a city to burn."

2018-05-03 03:41:38

How do you tricker the quest "Actually love?" I can't seems to find it anywhere.

2018-05-11 08:15:05

Hi! Yesterday I purcased A Hero's Call, but I can't start it. As soon as i open it, it gives me this error. I sent it to the support mailing address, but I post it also here, because I think is a problem of my computer and not a game problem

System.PlatformNotSupportedException: MonoGame requires either ARB_framebuffer_object or EXT_framebuffer_object.Try updating your graphics drivers.    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.PlatformInitialize()    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.Initialize()    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice..ctor(GraphicsAdapter adapter, GraphicsProfile graphicsProfile, PresentationParameters presentationParameters)    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.Initialize()    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice()    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamePlatform.BeforeInitialize()    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoInitialize()    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run(GameRunBehavior runBehavior)    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()    at Ian.MGGameWindow.Ian.IGameWindow.Run()    at Ian.RPGStartup.RunMainLogic() in C:\Data\Recent\Games\RPG\RPGStartup.cs:line 114    at Ian.RPGStartup.PerformStandardStartup() in C:\Data\Recent\Games\RPG\RPGStartup.cs:line 21

2018-05-11 15:56:45

i have a strange problem,i want to play AHC just now,but i need unlock it again,it means i'm using different device?but this is same computer and my email not get reply yet

2018-05-12 02:18:21

Ok, so I posted this in a separate topic in general discussion but I figured I'd post it here as well. For those who don't want spoilers don't read on.
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
Ok, so I finally managed to beat the game yesterday evening and got the two items from the final boss. Unfortunately the game said that only the hero of Farhaven may equip the ring. I don't know about the dagger since those are generally not my preferred weapon. Is this a bug? I also had an issue where, I'd saved my game after going through the credits only to have it constantly pop up error messages once I reloaded that save. The game would run, the ambiance would play and I could move around, but I was still getting constant script errors. I realize that with Ian's departure, which as I said in the update thread I hope was on at least reasonably friendly terms, that bug fixes and things of that nature may be more difficult to implement. I still felt, as someone who purchased the game and will certainly consider purchasing and whenever possible backing any future Out of Sight projects, that I should at least let you know. As for the equipment thing I apologize if it's been asked and answered before.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2018-05-31 14:56:52

I haven't asked this question before but can I go visit stone bay in a hero's call?
how do I get to the city of stone bay?

2018-05-31 17:03:37

No, you cannot.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-06-18 22:23:03

Hi all,

One of my favorite characters in A Hero's Call is Simeon. One of the reasons for this is his unique sense of humor and his talent for making people laugh even in the darkest and gloomiest situations. I personally think that, as a character, Simeon is perfect.
Does anyone agree with what I just said or not?
Cheers,
André

2018-06-18 23:23:14

Boy, have I not seen this topic come up in a while.  You know, before the game got released everybody was so excited!  Everybody screamed how amazing it's going to be, and how they just can't wait to play it. And now,  The people who were screaming how amazing it is before our silent.  It's quite sad, actually. Take Manamon,  for example. The topic has a bunch of posts, and yet it is not close to the level of a heroes call.  And I wonder, why? Why if this is supposed to be the revolution of audiogames did this topic slid down to the second page  before the last poster asked a question and brought it back up?  Why did the hype of the release  died down so fast?  Why did everything suddenly die two or so months ago?  Are we truly so forgetful? Was it really the revolution like everybody thought?

2018-06-18 23:55:42

Well to be fair, Amerikranian, your post is post #1,759 on this topic. For a game that's less than six months old, that's an average of around 300 posts a month...and a lot of those were filled with people sharing their enthusiasm for the game. There's only so long people will continue talking about anything, however excited they may be about it. To be fair, we at OOSG also did everything we could to dampen everyone's enthusiasm, what with bugs and server issues making for a rather rocky release. But I certainly think the post-release response has lived up to the amount of excitement that users expressed before the release.

2018-06-19 19:06:25 (edited by Xvordan 2018-06-19 19:26:09)

I want to address what seems to be a lot of concentrated negativity towards AHC of late. Some of this is going to focus around the comments of fairly specific individuals (and will bridge several forum topics), and some of it will focus on the misperceptions (is that a word?) of several gamers.

1. I've seen select individuals in various other topics attack the beta testing program for AHC. It seems that said individuals must be sporting a chip on their shoulder, harbouring some degree of animosity because they were not personally selected to be a member of the beta testing team. They've argued that selection by merit of contribution to the Kickstarter was the driving force behind the beta tester choices, decrying this as unfair.
I want to address this disparity, since the individual in question once stated that they didn't see the Kickstarter until it was over. I happen to know from observing the forums that said individual is relatively active on the site, so his missing the Kickstarter must have been by design, rather than by accident. I furthermore believe this was but a convenient arguing point to attempt and back his claim of supposed favouritism. Even assuming the individual did miss the Kickstarter legitimately, it seems rather unfair to then continue to attack the project based on the fact that he missed the contribution window. Did the individual ever make a donation to the project? That avenue was still available to them, and may have assuaged their doubts about the favouritism for contributors conspiracy.

There also seems to be a notion that people only contributed to the Kickstarter so they could become beta testers. I wonder if the individual who made this claim did his research? At no point during the kickstarter were we promised that by contributing, we'd be elected for beta testing roles. In fact, I fully expected to give my money to the project, then relax and wait for the finished project. Making uneducated guesses and statements of this nature, and worse yet attempting to convince people of their voracity, is what may irrevocably convince the good folks at Out Of Sight that maybe the audio gaming community doesn't really need a high quality game. Maybe they don't really need to deal with these headaches and all the negativity. Would you volunteer for it?

On favouritism for Kickstarter donators: Even if preferential treatment were given to Kickstarter contributors (which it wasn't), are you really going to fault someone for preferring a financial contributor over someone who didn't? You can't seriously tell me that, given two individuals, one who paid you a hundred dollars to help you build your store, and one that just walked in off the street, you'd give the free walk-in a discount before offering it to the one who contributed to the finances of the establishment.
To then further harbour this negativity on the basis of not being elected for a testing role to further spread negativity about a product is I believe in poor taste, and is an exemplifying reason why people aren't exactly jumping at the bit to develop games for the blind community. That sense of entitlement and desire to attack any margin of error or perceived injustice in order to kill a game is why even prominent contributors to the audio gaming community have become reluctant to pursue the cause.

2. People seem to have expected an A-list title from AHC, despite the fact that AHC initially only asked for about 2,000 dollars on the Kickstarter. With such a low request, it should have been relatively self evident that AHC was not going to be the RPG bible, would not contain 7000 quests and 8 million NPC's, items, and voice actors. It should have been self evident that being a first title release under the brand, AHC would've been a lighter title.
Despite all this, people seem disappointed that AHC doesn't have more than it already has. Never mind that it has hours of invested labor, tons of recorded voices, a pretty epic musical score, several wide areas to explore, a plethora of quests to pursue, multiple Easter eggs, and a continuing goal to improve and make additions and updates.
I must honestly wonder: Will gamers ever be satisfied? Can they just appreciate a game for what it is, rather than bashing it for what they think it should be instead?
To underline the point about costs even more: Remember Something Else, makers of Papa Sangre and other games. Their kickstarters I believe ran for 30,000 or so. I seem to remember those kickstarters failing. The same can be said for another game proposed a long time ago... Three Monkeys, if I remember correctly. It's a pretty clear indication that the audio game community might not be willing to put its money where its mouth is.
These other kickstarters were asking for magnitudes more than AHC was and failed. AHC asked for relatively little and succeeded, but can you really expected a Warner Brothers or EA level game from a kickstarter that asked for 2000 dollars? And even at 2000 dollars, I believe AHC delivered above and beyond its asking price and its receiving price, with several people volunteering their time and effort just so you guys can say the game isn't that great.

I personally love AHC. I do not regret contributing my funds to the project, and I do not regret my enthusiasm for it either. I really think some people need to reassess their comprehension of monetary costs for hiring voice actors, for paying people to code, for hiring artists, for hiring audio engineers, for hiring publicists... and for any number of other unforeseen costs before they make a sport out of criticizing that which they don't understand.

In no way am I saying AHC is flawless, and in no way am I saying AHC is the be-all and end-all of audio games. What I am saying is that, for the budget, AHC is a pretty damn awesome game, and people should be playing it, rather than trolling it.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2018-06-19 20:28:23 (edited by Cornettoking 2018-06-19 20:31:55)

Hello,
@Awsilva: Yes, I agree, Simeon is the best character in the game as far as characters from your Party go, but from the NPC characters, Nigel just makes me laugh every single time I enter his study, his comments are just funny as hell.
@Amerikranian: I must partially agree, since I think AHC is a very good game, but didn't really live up to the pre-release Hype.
@Xoren:
I didn't expect AHC to be a tripple-A game, I think almost noone did. But expectations were very high, which was not only caused by the community.
I think it was caused by all the teasers Joseph gave us (no offense). I think the disappointment would have been at least a Little lower if it wasn't for the Demos.
Also, semi-officially declaring the game dead (the leaving of Ian Reed, so much for your improvements and updates, xoren) and the extensive wait times for replies to E-Mails (a good reason was given for this afterwards, but Joseph could at least have activated a bot message that said something like "I am not able to answer your message right now, but will get back to you as soon as I can.") did also not help.
As a conclusion, I think the game is very good, but was a Little overhyped.
And by the way, I think AHC is NOT the Revolution of Audiogames, it is just a step in the right direction.
Have a nice day.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2018-06-19 21:51:55

@#1761: Thumbs-upped so hard. Thank you.

And let it never be said that the game is perfect—or that our handling of the development and deployment of the game were perfect. We've made plenty of missteps, and will continue to do so. It's been a tremendous learning process, and helpful, constructive criticism is part of how we learn. But there's a difference between that, and negativity for negativity's sake.

2018-06-19 22:23:41

In my last post it might have seen like I am downgrading the game. Let me start by assuring you that if you think I did, I did not intend for my post to come off in that way.  I was simply reflecting on the amount of hype before their lease and how fast everything died after the game was available for purchase.  You might recall that in the kick starter topic I said something along the lines of I don't get excited until the game is released.  That still true. In fact, on the Friday the game got released I checked the kickstarter topic every hour, and was chuckling to myself as I've seen people post basically the same thing over and over.  Now, I must admit I was a little disappointed when I finished the game in 13 hours.  I, expected more of a storyline I guess.  But then, I just, moved on. I won the game, and I played through it a couple of times, but I feel like I've experienced less disappointment then the people who made such a big hype about it.  I certainly admire Joseph and all of the out-of-sight games team. Coding something complex as this is what I'm hoping to get to some day.  But if you bother reading through the kickstarting topic, you'll find that a lot of comments or along the lines of this is going to be the revolution of Audiogames, And looking at it now I just find it a little ironic how fast we  Chase after something new.
Also, I took the Manaman  topic and compared it to this one. The first post in it was on 20/07/2016,  and the 1762nd post was made on  08/08/2016.  Again, I'm not trying to downgrade or claim that a hero's call was under its budget or a bad game. That was just done out of simple curiosity.

2018-06-19 23:24:00

No worries Amerikranian, I suspected that was the angle you were coming from. It sounded to me like you weren't criticizing the game, but rather were criticizing those who hyped the game and are now standing quietly by. I figured I'd speak up in their defense a bit since I don't think anyone can be expected to keep talking about a game for ever and ever.

Your observation about Manamon is interesting. That's the sort of thing that game developers like to look at, and scratch our heads, and try to figure out what got so many more people talking about one thing than another. Probably nothing we'll ever be able to answer, but oh well.

2018-06-20 07:03:51

In my opinion, manamon isn't really a example to follow, specially if you want to create a new product.
Is really obvious that manamon would have a veri good accept (and fanbase through time) because is a pokemon game with a screw.

And of course, pokemon is pokemon, with that, have the really first audiogame pokemonLike, so, that attract players like honey. And of course, Aaron made that like a gold, because the release date of manamon, was very near to the launch of pokemon go... hmmm suspecting? Na, very good market decision.

About AHC itself, well. Is a simply very good game, and for me, I bout the game that I was thinking that i was buying. And of course, in the programming aspect, is a interesting thing because use a lot of interesting tools and framework, like monogame, fmod for hrtf and 7.1 sound, javascript scripting engine and other very interesting things that... We don't see until AHC in audiogame scene.

But well, regular players don't see these love things.

Thanks guys for the game tongue

2018-06-20 15:14:07

That's a really interesting observation of the timing release of Manamon. I hadn't realized that. If that was intentional, you're right that it is very smart marketing. If it was accidental, it was a very lucky accident for the developers.

2018-06-20 21:25:08

Hay Joseph, I was just wondering if the collecter's edition will remove the DRM protection where you have to make an acount on blindgamers in order to access AHC?
If not, I was just going to ask two things.
How would I go about requesting a refund for the $38 I spent extra for the collecter's edition, and if I could request a new link to the soundtrack through bandcamp, as I didn't know how to set it to download the 320KBPS mp3 files when I first received the link.
That's all...
Later!

2018-06-21 00:29:58

Hey, I'm happy to field these questions, but for my sake would you mind emailing them to me at support [at] outofsightgames.com?

2018-06-29 16:33:46

This post is going to vent a little bit, so I will apologize ahead of time.
Does this community ever change? I walked away from the site for a few months, and I came back and AHC is still receiving quite a lot of negativity. I didn't contribute to the kickstarter because I didn't have the money at the time, but I did buy the game on it's release. I wasn't disappointed at all though. It was a great first step on the way to the giant RPG's our sighted friends enjoy and play at for months still discovering new things, but some of us here really are shameful. I agree with someone else who posted earlier in this thread, as a general rule we, as blind gamers, are never happy, and I'll go after Manamon as an example. I'd never gotten to play a Pokemon  type game before, but I'd spent my childhood and, with the release of Go, my late twenties, hearing all about it again. It was fun and a new kind of experience, but what did a lot of us do? We complained about the similarities to Pokemon. It was waht Aaron was going for all along. That was exactly the point. I was just happy to have a new kind of game to get into. It was the same with AHC. There was a lot of good about it though. The one thing I feel AHC did do, because of the relatively low price for such an epic game, was get this community to come together in a way I've not seen since. I think it might have been late January, possibly February, that a person said they were going to give five copies of AHC away to people, and after that people started chipping in. At the end of that campaign, it was what, 36 or 50 licenses, somewhere in that range? A game that brought that much joy to people is not bad. OK, so it wasn't the revolution of audiogames, but it was awesome, not just because of the game, but because of what it got people to do as far as getting a friend or two a copy so that we could all take that journey through Farhaven, be elated when we completed a quest, and frustrated and aggravated when that passage in the mines just led to another damn dead end. AHC is going to have it's pitfalls, but at the end of the day, it was a truly awesome game, both as a game and as something that brought this community together.

2018-07-12 16:20:02

I've probably said this before and I'll say it again because I still mean this from the bottom of my heart.

A Hero's Call is a good game, and it means so much to me. When I first heard the words "Accessible Video Game", I was excited. When I knew it was going to be a fantasy RPG, a type of game this community had been sorely lacking up until now, I was delighted. I knew from the outset that it would be small, but the idea excited me in ways no other audiogame at the time had. None has yet inspired such excitement in me, even Shadow Rine, which I got stuck on and haven't played in ages.
I know there are people who were disappointed, people who expected the game to be perfect and were annoyed when it fell short of their unrealistic expectations, but I was more than happy to pay for this game, and I still love it. I love the music and the voice acting and the sounds and even the movement system, which I had to adjust to at first. There are so many things I love about AHC. I am sad that Ian left Out-of-Sight, and I hope they are able to get a new dev who's both as talented and as dedicated to providing a good product as Ian was, because their vision still excites me.
This is partially because it is my vision also. I am a writer, and want to eventually make the world and story of my novels into a series of games that the blind and sighted can both play and enjoy thoroughly. My dream has always been to have voice actors and rich soundscapes and music to bring my imagined world as close to reality as a team of devs and sound designers can, and AHC and Out-of-Sight Games gave me hope that this could one day be possible. I can never thank Joseph, Ian and the others enough for that.
I have started playing AHC again, this time as a necromancer. I still enjoy the game immensely, and I am sure I will continue to do so.

2018-07-12 16:42:44

Thanks, Imaginatrix. Posts like this mean a lot to the whole team.

2018-07-12 23:00:09 (edited by SkyLord 2018-07-12 23:00:24)

Hello everyone, i can't find the last runestone in adrianus mausoleum, i tried searching for it in catacombes around it also. Can someone help me please?

2018-07-12 23:17:24

There isn't a rune stone in Adrianus Mausoleum, so that might be part of your problem. You will need to search the other mausoleums to find the one you're looking for.

2018-07-16 18:53:09 (edited by Nikola 2018-07-16 18:58:11)

Hello. So I went through the forest as well as mines, but I am a bit stuck in the graveyard. Can somebody post a small walkthrough for that area? If it has been posted, you can just mention the post number and I'll look for it myself, but search isn't very helpful in this huge topic. There are lots of different objects and paths to take in that area so I am generally confused as to what I should look for. I went to the adrianus moselium, and found the key for it in the forest so that part is unlocked.