2018-07-10 19:09:56 (edited by florianionascu7 2018-07-10 22:09:48)

Hello Everyone! As Classic Skype could get out of use in the near future, I considered that switching to Skype for Windows 10 might be a better solution, so I did it a few days ago. I tested the new Skype in the past on older Windows 10 versions, but I didn't like it. Well, the current version of Skype UWP that came with the latest Windows 10 update seems to be more accessible than older versions. I like that you can tag a person in a message and a few other features that the popular Classic Skype version hasn't. However, Microsoft still should work to make Skype for Windows 10 as good as Classic Skype. I'll mention a few things I don't like:
1. I can't set up the folder for saving received files. The application hasn't an option for that in its settings.
2. In the contacts list, when I'm focused on a person, NVDA doesn't tell me if he/she is online, offline or away, only his/her status message.
3. There isn't any keystroke for answering calls like Alt+PageUp in Classic Skype, at least I didn't find one. I looked at the hotkeys for Skype UWP and nothing found.
These are the troubles I'm encountering in Skype UWP. Have you ever used it? If yes, what problems have you met? Is there any feature you like?

If you want to get in touch with me, e-mail me at [email protected].
We can also get in touch on Telegram.

2018-07-11 02:30:13

Since I do not have my Windows 10 machine yet currently, I of course can't speak to the app experience.

I can however speak to the experience from the

http://web.skype.com

interface, which does have hotkeys for answering/rejecting calls.
A link to said help can be found at

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA3451 … utlook-com
BTW, I use a chromebook most of the time.

PS. Ya were also wondering about the "My Recieved" files folder while using the new Skype for Windows 10 app.

In short, it doesn't exist.

For more info, see

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/sky … a2ddc98231

2018-07-11 04:33:21

Yeah the UWP app sucks.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-11 07:50:56

There's also the electron app, but I don't know if that's any better or worse.

2018-07-11 08:04:23

i use the electron app, and i like it better than the uwp. it is so faster with jaws, than the uwp. you have to install it in compatibility mode on Windows 10, as it will redirect you to the store, and download the uwp one.
i have no problems with the electron. little bit getting used to, but thats all.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2018-07-11 10:41:12

Regarding Skype UWP, I found the location where received files are saved. It is C:\Users\Florian\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.SkypeApp_kzf8qxf38zg5c\LocalState\Downloads. However, as I said in my first post, I am not able to set up the desired folder for that. Yeah, too many disadvantages, though it's accessible. Due to them, I decided to return to Classic Skype, but I'll continue to test the future releases of the universal app. Anyway, I've sent a feedback to them where I said what I like and what I don't like in their app. I've written it in Romanian, hope they've understood it.
BTW, what about the Electron app? It has been mentioned in some previews posts. Where do I find it? is it accessible with NVDA?

2018-07-11 13:22:53

you will find it on the skype download webpage. its selected by default.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2018-07-11 13:46:29

Thank you very much!