2018-07-10 08:18:00

Hi all,

i am about to make my Ipad into a Music machine for production and such and I have questions:
1. How to handle the In app purchases in Garage band? I am interested in Sound packs and other in app purchases in Garage band, but when I click on buy Sound packs or the like, VO Shows some unlabeled Buttons and I can't get through. What can I do?
2. Does anyone know any other Music apps wich are good usable with VO and you can recommend? I already know launchpad, Garage band and thumb jam, are there others? I mean apps for recording, mixing, sampling and Music production, Music instruments and such, not Players and Radios and such.
Thank you in advance.
best regards
Niklas

2018-07-10 13:51:51

iKaossilator is pretty nice. If you want to use your phone as a midi controller, to play with it using virtual instruments in a DAW, I have three app suggestions. After touch, which simulates X Y and Z axes, They can all be set to send a different CC message, so you could make the X axis the mod wheel, the Y axis the expression pedal, and the Z axis, if you don't change it, will send velocity information and aftertouch. You can customize the grid, by default, its set out like harmonically, but you can change it. I made a two octave keyboard with it by making two rows, and 12 columns, so its a little more than 2 octaves, and the two don't line up but I like it. You can also make smaller grids, and when you do, you have more room to tap in, so if you have a drum kit, this could work for you. This app has a few weirdnesses with Voiceover, but it is accessible, you will have to get used to them. One of these things is that when you are in a settings window, Voiceover will read the midi numbers and note names of notes under your finger, in other words, the settings dialogs do not open modally. This is good for most people, so you can make a change, then test it without needing to close the window, its not all entirely bad for voice over users, its just something you will need to be aware of. When you go to expression, this is where you can change what each axis does, there are X, Y, and Z vertically laid out on the screen to the left of the actual controls, above that is general. If you flick, you'll be flicking for the next century, so use explore. Another thing is that it has some buttons that are incorrectly labeled. You will see like I think 3 done buttons which appear at the toolbar at the top. The leftmost, at the top left of the screen opens your settings window. You will then find a button that may say Tamber Toy, Dueling Saws, or Network Session 1. This opens up for you to choose if you want the thing to use its own built in synths, or if you want it sending midi messages over your wireless network for your DAW to pick up. Which brings me to a bit of a tangent, you will need a program called RTPMidi if you're on a windows PC to act as an intermediary. It catches the MIDI messages from the network, and relays them to a virtual midi cable that you enable in your DAW. The next two done buttons are in between one button that can say one degree, octave, or page. The button in the middle controls how much the buttons to either side will change the grid. It will either transpose by a very small amount, an entire octave, or the entire length of your grid, so for me if I hit that it would transpose by presumably 13 notes, 1 plus the number of columns in my grid.Once you set the degree of change, the buttons to the left and right of that button actually do the transposing.

Another app is called TouchOSC, and it can act as a control surface, sending OSC messages, or it can send midi messages. It has two keyboards, but you don't really want to use them. This app has its own tool for interfacing with the PC, but you can still use RTPMidi. This app is good for just messing around with your instruments.

The final one is called knob lab, and it lets you do much the same. The app is free to download, but if you want to get more than one knob on the screen, you have to pay to unlock each layout that does that, or you can pay to unlock all of them at once, which I think was $2.99 USD.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-10 13:52:02

I even heared from an app wich is a bit like audacity, just for the I-devices but can't remember the Name.
And another question: Are there even apps wich are usable with effects for live Performances? So you can use a mic and use the effects directly while you're talking or singing?

2018-07-10 20:21:09

I think there are effects in Garage band that you can add to your live performance with the audio thingie, or the amp section, Also, don't forget about audio bus, which lets you patch audio from apps to it and mix and stuff. I don't have this, so can't offer experiences with it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-11 00:53:09

thank you for the detailed info. I am not interested in using the PC, so the apps on the IPad should be there own Production tools, so i don't need a windows DAW. I found some on applevis but don't know how actual the list there is and the information. If someone else has further recommendations, I'd be thankfull to hear them. And ofcourse even if you can help with the garage band problem I mennssioned.

2018-07-11 01:35:33

I mean, I don't think you're gonna find a full DAW on a mobile device, though you could get a windows tablet. These tools are also available on mac, like Reaper and Logic. I haven't really looked into it, but if you want a full mobile experience without being attached to at least a laptop of some sort, or a macbook, I don't think its gonna happen. Yes, I have seen one or two audio editors for iPhone, haven't touched them myself, but yeah I just don't see this yet. Unless, of course, you get a windows tablet. All the stuff you capture with your phone is gonna have to go into something, and that something is a DAW.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-11 07:50:49

I have Hardware Equipment for recording as well, so there are many ways to get this going. An Laptop I have ofcourse, but I don't want to do everything in a DAW, that's why I asked.
What about the soundpack Problem in Garage band? Can you eventually help out with this as well?