2018-07-10 15:30:36

I asked a friend to come help me describe a couple of movies, primarily the original TMNT trilogy and  maybe the first Wayne's world.  The problem we're having is, I am trying to follow a more specific DBS guideline and he said that he doesn't think some of the stuff I'm wanting to describe is eve necessary, which some of it, yes, I can agree with.  I'll give you an example.

The New Line Cinema logo.  I told him nicely please give a description of the logo's animation, and he said that's not necessary, then went over and over about how  things like that have no true relevance to the cause, which I told him I am aware but  I was basically trying to be more on the professional side of things. 

Then he proceeded to insist that DVS narration is like voice acting, which I actually was wondering if  any truth of that is there, how close?  I don't see them being remotely close, although they fall in the same field, voice acting and description narration are two different things and far apart from each other.

Additionally, he keeps relating everything we do here to Japan and Japanese things, mind you I live in the USA.   he said that voice actors here get paid next tonothing, while voice actors in apan get paid like movie stars do here, which I am sure, due to all the anime and what not.

it's just frustrating, and it gave me a headache,  I had it all planned out and instead of  getting anything done, I ended up scrapping the project because it turned more into a discussion about how it should be done as opposed to it getting done.

Now don't get my  motives wrong.  I have nothing against my friend or his opinions in any way, shape, form, or fashion.  it's just that,  I'm trying to explain, overall, that video description is a very different field altogether, but it's a whole different world as opposed to what he's used to, and in the end, he's asying the things I'm asking, which I am sure are close to true, can cost an excessive of hundreds of dolars.  I don't know, but I will get them done, even if I had to do it the same way I've done it before.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-07-10 15:43:52

I don't think you should try this, you're relying on people to help you with it, and they will maybe describe well, maybe not, but then you have the track and the post production to do, and even the professionals mess it up so badly sometimes its not even worth watching. There are definitely good and great ones, but I've seen my fair share of bad ones too.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-07-10 16:12:14

If it's the movie I'm thinking of, the ninja turtles movie from the 90s, that's already been described.

I saw it listed on what is now known as sero.

I'm not sure if the other two ever got described, I don't see them listed.

Post two is also correct, there are some pretty bad descriptions out there.

I think the worst I've come accross is a show on netflix called LEGO Elves: Secrets of Elvendale.

The description sounded like it was being read by a teenage girl, but that isn't the real issue.

She sounded like she was just reading, no expression or anything.

It's hard to explain.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's described, but if it's going to be like that, I'd probably prefer descriptive subtitles instead, that way I can just get voiceover to read it.

I wonder if that's even a thing, I tried googling it, but didn't find anything useful.

2018-07-10 19:04:11 (edited by flackers 2018-07-10 19:07:55)

I had a go at audio describing as a joke, but really enjoyed it. I got the idea while watching a documentary with AD on, and thought the describer could misdescribe the action for comic effect, so I went home, downloaded the doc, and made my own just to amuse myself. I had a lot of fun making it. I definitely came away with the feeling that there was an art to it, and wondered why some of the audio descriptions are so badly produced, like they were recorded on a dictaphone in a cupboard. I definitely think they should be as well produced as any other type of commercial audio, and should be a bit arty. Like a good writer and voice actor would breathe life into an audio description in a way that is absent from most of them. The audio description philosophy mostly seems to be pay no attention to the audio describer, but I'm not sure this is a wise move. When I did it, I felt it wasn't enough to just flatly read bland descriptions in my own regular voice, but had to be a bit more poetic and liven up my voice to some degree. I certainly think it wouldn't hurt to make audio descriptions as arty as they can be, which admittedly isn't too easy when you only have very limited space to say something in, and the description of the scene/event has to take priority. But whether you should art them up or stay inconspicuous, there's certainly no excuse for describers sounding bored as hell with a thick blanket between their mouth and the microphone.

2018-07-10 19:31:04

I've done this twice before, with Home Alone 2 and Major Payne, both which you can download in the movie vault requests thread.   it's not unfamioliar territory for me, and  I'm alright with doing it.  Also, I don't have a link to the first turtles movie, so if I can get that, that'd be great, thanks.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-07-12 00:12:16

can someone do anime???? like dbz super for example, or any big anime for that matter like naruto, or bleach

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2018-07-12 00:19:28

Hi.
Can I have a link to the first movie? I couldn't find any links to it or the sero website on google.
Thanks.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-07-12 04:17:06

First of all to say voice actors make little to no money is ridiculous and a little insulting.  I know a lot of pro VAs and it's just like any other sort of acting gig:  You audition, you get a role, you get paid.  You get paid for each session you record the role and it works just liek any other acting thing.  Your friend just sounds like they were ignorant about the subject, but that really erks me.

I don't think doing audio description like you're voicing a character is the right way to go.  I like it better when it's like an audio book, where there's enough livelyness in the description to be able to follow and stay engaged, but not enough to distract from the actual show.  But to say it's going to be ignored is also ridiculous lol.  Like if you want to continue the project, maybe get someone who's more knowledgeable and not as hard headed to do it with you, not a fan of a lot of his pre and misconceptions.

But yeah, I think best audio description is like when a narrator is reading the narrative parts of an audio book, and not the character dialogue.  Doing the scripting and narrating is a major artfomr, and is defs different from voice acting, but voice actors do it a lot too so maybe that's why the lines are blurred sometimes.

2018-07-12 05:19:07

Hi.
Well I know for a fact, that if your really good, you can make thousands even millions for voice acting. Seth MacFarlane, who does all the shows for fox, family guy, american dad, the orville, probably makes huge amounts of money for all the work he's done, not to mention roles he's gotten on other cartoons and shows.
Personally, I don't care much about the audio description, as long as they describe things that are visual, I really don't pay much attention to the inflection or anything like that. The only audio described work that really stands out to me, is star wars! The guy describing it did a fine job, I'd love to meet him and shake his hand! He is the only one I've ever heard, that makes the movies sound like they have audiobook narration. Others have that monotone, that makes everything they describe sound really boring lol!

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-07-12 18:27:34

Well I plan to do it like actual audio description, not  character dialog, seeing as the movie provides enough dialog.   And like Guitarman, I want the link to that first Turtles movie.    When I did my Home Alone 2  description, which was the better of the two, I  was very descriptive and I've had people say I did a great job with both movies. 

I think I will just tackle TMNT 2 solo from memory and then have someone help me describe areas I did not get  or areas I'm unsure of.  It'd be less headaches probably.

Me, personally, I'm well aware of how this stuff works, but I don't think they truely grasp how things are for blind folk if they are not blind themselves.  Even though he has low vision, he tries to understand it, but you really can't unless you are actually  in our shoes, ya know.  that's what makes it so difficult.

iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel