1 (edited by Fox 2018-07-07 18:22:42)

warning! people who are going to say, just learn it and do it yourself lazy asss, fuck you i'm trying, but this would help me a lot in the process.
so, i'm working on a game, and i'm wondering if anyone would like to get in contact with me to be a dev of it as well, my programming knolidge is limited, so i would apriciate a little teaaching on what your doing or how to do some things.
some of the game plans are below:
name: rain of death, finger on the trigger, other ideas?
type: 3d fps
current dev team: redfox, possibly Aarush bat aka godfather, ashley.
game development status: barely made, need lot's of help.
notes:
So it's a 3d fps, I've got some of the sounds i need, but i still need weapon sounds, footstep sounds etc.
language coding in: not sure yet, maybe bgt

thanks for reading and  have a nice day!

i'm currently in the process of learning how to code, if you would like to contact me, skype is preffered, use one of the following:
email: [email protected]
website; not yet up: redfoxproductions.com

Thumbs up

2 (edited by pauliyobo 2018-07-07 19:22:00)

how can you assemble a dev team if you don't even know in which language, or you are not even sure in which language you want to code  with?

If you want to get in touch with me you can follow me on Twitter
have a nice day.
Paul

Thumbs up

So you have no moral dilemma about taking sounds that don't belong to you and mixing them into your own projects. What then is to reassure people you won't use their code in future endeavors that don't belong to you. What is their motivation to help you when you could possibly take their code, cut all ties with them, then rinse and repeat until you have a bunch of classes you can use, then you put out this thing that's 10% your code, 90% other people's. How can they be assured they won't suffer that fate. You didn't seem to be at all sorry or show the slightest bit of remorse about using those sounds to which you have no right, so why should anyone help you code.

I'm a cat! What's mine is mine, and what's yours is mine to :P XD

Thumbs up

Oh shit this is gonna be horrible. Don't assemble a team of developers if you don't know what language you're coding in, first of all. Additionally, you just said 3d fps. What kind of 3d fps? I feel like this is gonna be a Redspot clone. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you used the code of Redspot 0.5 that's floating around. Even if you have the most original idea ever, do yourself a favor and don't code it when you barely know how to code, even with a dev team because then if they code everything for you, it will be their project, not yours. Basically I'm saying, learn it and do it yourself.

Sincerely,
Lucas.

Thumbs up

These sorts of projects are not uncommon for beginners in development circles, let's try and keep the comments productive, yes?

To answer your question fox, I'm not inclined to join others projects, and you may have a difficult time finding others to program with, not necessarily because of a fear of "theft", but because those who know how to program tend to have their own projects they want to work on as opposed to someone elses idea. Its for these kinds of reasons that alot of people often get their start in their life long carrier as programmers, as you are the greatest champion for the ideas you want to create.

The first step for yourself would obviously be to pick a language to work with, and go from there. Now everyone has their own preferred languages and make their own recommendations, but whats important is picking one your most comfortable with, once you learn one language it makes it much easier to learn others as they all share certain similarities. For myself, I would recommend Python as it has a lot of tutorials and guides around, such as Think Python, and there are also a number of python developers around here who can offer help or examples if you need them.

Something else you can do to help along the way is to break your larger goal, a 3D fps, down into smaller projects, for example making a small game to figure out how to make a 3D environment, another small game for collision detection, etc. Then take what you learn from each of those smaller projects and fold them into your larger goal.

-BrushTone v1.3.1: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

Thumbs up

thank you @5 for being a nice person and telling me what's rong with this idea.
@ironcross, seriously dude, i've explained this to you like 3 times, and, how the hell am i going to make a game like this or any decent sized shooter game, without using any sounds in other games, that's just fucking stupid, and I'm stricktly against code theft
and the real goal in this, is to have people help me out, and learn from it.
I get that you guys just expect theft and laziness from everyone cause of clones like tk, btb, etc. but i'm!  not! like! that! so fuck off and keep your demoralizing comments to yourself.
have a nice day

i'm currently in the process of learning how to code, if you would like to contact me, skype is preffered, use one of the following:
email: [email protected]
website; not yet up: redfoxproductions.com

Thumbs up

Its not necessarily uncommon for others to use ripped assets in learning projects, provided its non commercial and clearly disclosed, but ironcross32 does have a point in that like it or not people can be pretty sensitive about unauthorized copying, regardless of the intent. Ripping assets for commercial projects and or not disclosing it is a serious faux pas in development circles that could cause you some serious headaches, if playing around it would probably be best to stick with sounds that are in the public domain, like those on the Big List of Free Sounds.

Something else is that it can take some time to make or find the right assets that could be freely available or properly licensed, so what many developers do is use whats called "place holder" assets, these might be simple crummy sounds, free sounds or other things that they use as a stand in during development and testing. When it comes time for the final release, they often start replacing those placeholders with better quality assets, such as commissioned assets, licensed, or creative commons.

-BrushTone v1.3.1: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

Thumbs up

So guys, this same guy who called TK a clone sent me a pm and he was asking like 3 times if he could be an admin on the game. Yeah...you probably shouldn't trust this guy. Just saying.

Ivan

Thumbs up

Jesus christ dude, you do not fucking use other people's god damn sounds in your shit, how fucking clear is that? You, do, not, do, it... period. There, now if you are just immoral or amoral, now you have a clear path to follow. Obviously I can't make you abide by it, but you really gonna be that dude? You're against code theft, but not sound theft? Here's something, I'm against theft of any kind. SO now that we know your ture colors, developers, I'd stay well clear if you value your time, code, and assets.

Thumbs up +1

10 (edited by defender 2018-07-16 05:23:43)

Guys, calm down will you? Your lucky that Dark doesn't watch the DEV room, though I'm kinda surprised that Aprone hasn't said anything yet, I guess he's more hands off?

Meh, not enough free sounds to use in an FPS unless you want the lowest of low quality generic shite, and even then you'll need to do cleaning and editing on some of the decent stuff, particularly footsteps, and it still won't sound amazing.
Still, many people in this community have stolen professional libs running around, where your likely to find something that hasn't been used in other well known games before, and if it's a free game than I personally couldn't give less of a crap, even if it's technically morally wrong.
The recordists and mixers that did all the work to make those libs happen already got paid years ago, at least for the giant ones like Sound Ideas, Boom FX, Blastwave, and Hollywood Edge (not so much for smaller indi stuff) so just as with mainstream music, it's really hard to feel bad for the poor, helpless, giant global corporations that take 90 percent of the cash and play the stock game/have all sorts of offshore accounts/pay their executives enough to have multiple nice houses and fancy cars.
That said though, you should make all possible effort not to use sounds from other audiogames in your public release, simply because it's tacky and disrespectful and will just end up making you look lazy and amature.

As to this game idea, yeah, yet another 3D FPS? When you can't even code much and haven't chosen a language yet? Please come out and say directly that this will not contain any of Sam Tupy or Mason Armstrong's code that wasn't given out freely if you expect us to believe a single word you say.
Because just firmly stating that you aren't like everyone else is utterly meaningless when you don't have any established reputation in this community yet...

Even besides that, it's really hard to believe that your capable of properly leading a team through a large project like this at your current demonstrated level of maturity, especially when your just the idea guy right now and can't really pull your own weight if shit hits the fan.
After all, ideas are a dime a dozen, good ones are less common, but people that can actually make those ideas into a reality are very rare, and even then no idea survives the creative process unchanged.
I've seen so many projects fall apart in this community, both firsthand and from the sidelines, do to lack of experience both logical and social.
Do you honestly know how to balance a game fairness wise between experienced and less experienced players, or those with less time to devote to the game each day? Can you prioritize bug fixing over new features even if it isn't as fun? Do you know how to administrate one without just banning everyone that disagrees with you, or making your friends admins and giving them free rain to abuse the players, and can you mediate between two players without getting personally involved? Can you handle the heat from the public when things don't go perfectly, or make a final decision when two groups want different things even though you know you may lose some more sensitive friends over it? Can you be a hard ass and kick people out of the dev team or permaban people without giving them a dozen more chances because you feel guilty? Can you run a stable server and fight fires even when your back in school? How will you protect your code and your player's passwords? how will you deal with sexual harassment when you presumably have no experience with the subject? and if you delegate these tasks as you should to stay sane, than how are you going to pick good people and keep them on the straight and narrow and not just asume they've got it handled.

You just through your self in the deep end, and you expect us to believe you know what your doing when even highly experienced devs often get burned out in months to just a couple years? This audio gaming scene isn't nearly as overwhelmingly intense as the mainstream one because we have so few people compared to that, but this environment brings it's own challenges as well.
You can't just go to another server when someone griefs you, their aren't enough people to have a fighting chance to progress by competing with other people near your same experience level, the community is small enough for personal vendettas to thrive and travel from game to game, their are more non English speakers than English speaking players so good luck moderating them if you can't understand them, since making an English only game would exclude two thirds of your playerbase, and in such a small community that means that competition will be scarce within months at most.
We also have an extreme lack of good admins around here, and their in high demand, even the good ones often aren't available or lose interest in the game within a couple months if things don't change, as any player would. So finding new ones to replace them is a constant challenge, and knowing how to evaluate someone's character to find out weather their trustworthy or not is something that takes life experience.

You don't have to prove your self by trying to do what everyone else is doing or make your first project a big one, because trust me it's not nearly as simple as you think it is even if you use stolen code, you should start out small and then, eventually, if you think your personally up to it or have made enough contacts to have confidence in any team you put together, than maybe you can consider doing something bigger like this.
Because not everyone can be a teenaged superstar like Sam Tupy or yukio nozawa or Philip Bennefall or Aaron Baker, and many of their first games were crap or had/have bad balance or follow the same pattern for almost all of their releases anyway.
And I know how harsh this sounds and that you probably think I'm just being a dick and trying to quash your creativity before you can even express it, but I'm really trying to save you allot of stress and misery, so you don't end up getting your dreams crushed so early just by jumping the gun, or dragging a bunch of people down with you and wasting everyone's time. This way you might actually do something big at some point, without being so afraid of failure or alienating your friends.

This... -- Is CNN'.
Well Ted, it sure looks like there's been uh, quite a bit of violence around here
"aaoh, that violence was terrible'!"
Yeah it was, pretty bad.

Thumbs up +3

defender wrote:

Aprone hasn't said anything yet, I guess he's more hands off?

smile  I tend to sit back and see where things are headed, a bit longer than some of the other mods.  At times that's arguably the right move, and at other times it's arguably the wrong move.  Eh... we each have our own approaches, which helps us cover more bases as a team.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

Thumbs up

@Aprone
Well it's good to know someone is watching the dev room.

This... -- Is CNN'.
Well Ted, it sure looks like there's been uh, quite a bit of violence around here
Yeah it was, pretty bad.

Thumbs up

Another reason I don't say much is because of a pattern I've noticed.  It seems that often times when I post anything in a thread, people stop chatting and it dies.  Sometimes it's probably a coincidence, but it's happened enough that I think it's related.  LOL!  Since I'm aware of the pattern, I refrain from giving topics my kiss of death, unless I need to.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

Thumbs up

I was gonna say something, but nah.......... tongue

Thumbs up +1

And like that... It died smile

I'm me. Just me. No one else. Only meeee!

Thumbs up +1

I know right?!  big_smile  ROFL!

- Aprone
Aprone's software

Thumbs up

that's like a mob hit lul.

Thumbs up

Aprone the dementor with his kiss of death thats worse than death. big_smile

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

Thumbs up

Lol! The swamp topic is immune though. I suppose topics created by aprone are resistant to the effects of an apronic post.

Thumbs up +1

@Fox You're tone in the opening post is disconcerting to say the least. Not the way I would have opened a business proposal or a request for help. That said I have some advice that I hope you take to heart. What ever you think you're game is going to be right now, it will never get to that point. You mentioned making something that is "decent sized" for the level you sound like you are at this is far too big. Keep your scope down and keep it down. If you don't you are very likely to get nowhere with it and burn out on the game. Focus on making very small projects that will help you learn programming, design, and engines. Secondly if you are serious about making a game then making audio is one of the cheapest aspects of indie development (while not free) you can pick up some good enough recording equipment and spend some time thinking about what you want from a sound, what it needs, and how to get some nice dry audio. If you don't want to do that then just download some stuff off the internet. There are plenty of places where you can find stuff that will fit your needs in terms of style and licensing. You should also think about getting some basic contracts drawn up. As other's have mentioned they are considered about whats going to happen to their intellectual property once they have provided it to you. Make something that will protect both you and them. It may seem like overkill but there are many examples of people starting collaborative work without legal protections being ruined by poor planning.

Thumbs up +2

@10 and @20, thumbs up on that shit! Especially 10, I've personally been through a good bit of that and I would definitely not want it to hit people with less ability to even learn a language... I at least am rather good at that bgt thing so I can code the fuck out of some features if I like. But of course the many other factors you mentioned is why I pretty much dropped off the grid, I'm out of tk and I'm never coming back. Also to wherever redfox said no btb he was an admin and map dude of a massive city mass set, I'm not exactly sure which deployment it was, whether it was hamad's or ernie's or patrick's or whatever. Too many goddamn deployments. I myself will admit I have taken to some of those projects because I'm bored, and woul like something to code, though that codebase is so fucking iww that I have a hard time doing anything to it, and that's from a guy who can convert brain logic to bgt and back! And with the massive amount of antivirus things and all this I'm beginning to move towards the python road, though I will never be an audiogame dev in it. For those of you that bitch about cross platform, we were debating this in a group the other day, don't try to do python on mac because apple is against open source's existence. If you want cross platform, do it in js. Oriol's got the shit for that. I'll just dabble with py3.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

Thumbs up

@post 21
I actually think python's cross platform extends only on linux.
And agreed on the CM thing, I too developed for a while on it, even publically, and I am still regretting it, but that's an other topic big_smile

have a nice day.
Paul

Thumbs up

23 (edited by defender 2018-07-16 18:16:52)

Best memory from the 2 days I played CM? filling the SZ with bears and dogs. no regrets!
I tried making a trap where you couldn't run to the top of the ladder on the left by filling the ladder with animals as well, but they actually just ended up walking off and falling down when I did, so it turned into a giant pit of death down their.
Then for some unfathomable reason they eventually fucked off into the right side wall, never to be seen again.

This... -- Is CNN'.
Yeah it was, pretty bad.

Thumbs up

best thing was updating map with and empty line and when everyone were in unknown area reupdate the map with the mapdata and let all die because of the falling... big_smile big_smile big_smile

have a nice day.
Paul

Thumbs up

Awesome!

This... -- Is CNN'.
Yeah it was, pretty bad.

Thumbs up