2017-05-19 03:43:27

You can't. Only on windows 10 creator update I'm afraid.

2017-05-19 04:08:13

Let me clarify this. Narrator can be used in the setup screen in all current versions of Windows. By setup screen, I mean the screen that comes up once Windows is installed. In the past, Narrator didn't work on the initial Windows PE OS that loads when you boot from a DVD or USB drive. However, Microsoft finally did that should have been done back in Windows Vista or 7 with the Creators update to Windows 10 by enabling Narrator. While it's true that you may need a USB sound device on some systems, it's incredibly important to have this capability. Those who say they've used this with Windows 7 are talking about the configuration screen that comes up after Windows is installed. The only reason you'd want to hang onto these anymore would be to troubleshoot Windows 7 and 8.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-05-19 06:02:49

Thanks for the clarification.  That makes sense.  Now I understand the difference.  I could have sworn the initial set up (not configuration) was accessible, even in Win7.  Oh well, wouldn't that be a nice reality...

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2017-05-19 06:45:45

That would be nice indeed. However, I don't think it'll ever happen considering Microsoft is only releasing security patches to Windows 7. They're not going to go back and modify the Windows 7 PE on the installation media that you'd put on a DVD or flash drive.

2017-05-20 03:26:02

So let me see if I understand.

Windows 10 Creator's Update allows Narrator to work with the setup of installing the OS (avoid needing a PE with NVDA on it)?  That's what I've gathered from the past several posts, anyways.

Luke

2017-05-20 05:11:30

That's correct. If you download the regular Windows 10 installer image and burn it to a DVD or flash drive, you'll be able to press control windows enter to start Narrator. Provided your sound card is supported, you'll get the Microsoft Zera voice reading out the install screen. Just use the standard Narrator commands or press tab to move around and select things. If you don't get speech, you'll need to use a USB headset or sound card. The only other problem you may run into is trying to select the Windows install disk from your boot menu. This isn't going to talk because you're actuallly accessing the firmware, not any part of Windows. On a Mac, it's really simple because you can press and hold option and then press the right arrow once and hit enter. I can't express how happy I am Microsoft finally did this. This will make my future IT career much much easier once Windows 7 and 8 are finally gone. Then again, who knows if Windows will be around in 5 or 10 years. Things change so quickly.

I've heard from some people that Narrator doesn't work on the advanced startup screen. I haven't personally tried this, so can't say for sure. I do know that it works in Windows RE because I accidentally corrupted my copy of Windows 10. When the computer would turn on, it booted into a recovery screen. Since I'm using a Mac, I connected my USB headset and pressed control windows enter. Sure enough, Narrator came up and read all the recovery options.

2017-05-20 10:11:52

You might be able to install windows 7 with the windows 10 PE by replacing the install.wim of windows 10 with install.wim with the windows 7 version, not tried though, I just use win10pese for that. It should be rebuilt sometime with the creators update and a newer version of nvda, but can't publish my builds since I have very, very slow upload speeds.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2017-05-20 16:33:21

yes, you are completely  right. You also don't need windows pe in windows 8 or 8.1. They can use narrator during the installation as well.

2017-05-20 20:45:08

That'll make bootcamping a whole lot easier.  I didn't give myself enough partition space and need to appropriate that, so that'll be the first project where I attempt narrator during installation.

Fortunately this desktop's BIOS takes the disk drive as top priority, so booting from the ISO should be easy.

Luke

2017-05-20 22:46:36

Microsoft added Narrator support to Windows 8.1 PE? When was this? I thought this only applied to the Creators update.

2017-05-21 03:22:16

Was wondering the same as Chris

2018-07-09 09:00:14

any news on this?

I just had to reinstall windows 10 and thank goodness narrator started talking right away on the very first screen.
But this is still nice to have, when you need to copy files before wiping your hd ETC. maybe with teraCopy tera copy_2.27 please? its much more reliable and supports resuming and checksum verification after you copy the files and so on.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-07-09 15:30:50

I don't think it got any updates.