2017-11-28 15:24:23

Any other internet explorer users getting the following notification? This website wants to run the following add on: control name not available from not available. I've been getting it a lot lately on a variety of sites, including just now on here. Any one know how to solve this? I remember when IE8 stopped being developed, it was little things like this that made it unbearable to use.

2017-11-28 16:30:36

Hmmm, I am just trying Ie on this forum now, and haven't had the notification you speak of, but I am afraid I do agree that Ie is getting rather problematic these days.

I've found a lot of freezing, even on comparatively normal websites such as blogs,  a lot of more complex games such as space company  and rebuild the universe, as well  display issues with things like Paypal.

I do hope Microsoft update the thing, I did hear a rumour that they were planning on amalgamating edge and Ie into one browser, with more of the classic Ie layout and feel but some of edge's features, though whether this is still in the cards I don't know.

Still if not Google  Chrome and Nvda are proving a rather nice combination, albeit I do wish bookmark  management was a little easier in chrome, and  download notifications and progress bars were a little more logical, also I would like a way to disable tabbed browsing in Chrome the way I have it in Ie since I prefer extra windows to tabs and it's a little easy to have too many tabs open at once if they don't close correctly.

If Ie had the speed and compatibility with modern sites Chrome does, I probably would still use it for the familiarity if nothing else, but as that isn't the  I'll probably stick with Chrome for the time being.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-11-28 18:41:46

I second Crome!

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2017-11-28 23:14:26

actually Ie has proved the most accessable and usable browser for me for some reason. I'm still using JAWS 15 but Firefox and Chrome have been producing significant problems. IE does indeed crash more but in terms of general site navigation and such it has proven the best of the 3 with Firefox being slightly crappier and Chrome being a piece of garbage that is almost unusable for even the simplest things.

2017-11-28 23:47:42

I've noticed a lot of websites kicking off at me lately and saying my browser is out of date and to check for updates or install edge. this is why I'm switching to firefox but that's got it's own issues now too. I'm running version 56 which works ok but soon that'll be unsupported as well.

never tried crome I may have a play with it.

I've also noticed some websites in IE refusing to play content or even open links and they tell me to turn off compatibility mode.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2017-11-29 00:23:24

@bookrage consider either updating your JAWS if possible, or using NVDA. Then you'll find both Chrome and Firefox to work quite well (I use Chrome with JAWS 18 on occasion, so I know for a fact it works)

Microsoft has basically put IE on life support at this point. The only thing they're probably going to do is patching security vulnerabilities. However, while IE has now stopped, the web certainly hasn't. A lot of things that iE used to need external plugins for, like video playback, are now handled by built-in features of the browsers. And this is good, both for accessibility and also for security and performance and battery life. IE used to be really famous for doing things in very nonstandard ways (IE the way it displayed webpages and processed CSS stylesheets), which developers had to hack around. Not much changed in that aspect because now they have to hack in functionality that isn't natively supported. But this is very time consuming and not always possible, so while you see big sites like all Google products or Facebook still work, although not very fast, many smaller sites may not have the time or resources to kater to a web browser which is very rapidly shrinking in popularity.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2017-11-29 01:23:26

It's just a shame edge is such a pain in the ars, I'd be in much more favor of an updated ie than a complete change, but then again this is how microsoft works,  bugger what anyone wants or what we've done in the past, you'll change and like it!
It would be a   problem if I were still relying on Supernova as my main screen reader, since while windows 10 support is improving, I think ie is still the  browser Supernova behaves best with .
I do believe they're working on Edge support, but Edge is still not the best alternative access wise out there, so it's chrome for me at the moment with nvda, albeit I do wish either Nvda or chrome would fix the issues I mentioned, still it's at least better to be working with something that doesn't freeze on me and plays nice with pretty much all websites I've come across.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-11-29 02:01:24

@SirBadger my firefox just updated to 57, and even though I reinstalled 56 and set automatic updates to never, it did it again next time it restarted. I ended up installing the firefox extended support release that's recommended for screen reader users. It seems to work great.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/o … tions/all/

2017-11-29 15:55:05

actually the main reason I use IE rather than firefox on a daily basis is that some of the video sites I use won't play for some reason with firefox, saying needed stuff isn't there even though I'm pretty updated, and also on the game Storium, a game I play several times a day every day, for some reason some buttons don't work on the page for either Chrome or Firefox that work fine on IE, though the develpers of the game and site have tried to replicate my issue, they haven't been able.

2017-11-29 20:14:40

Well to be honest ie is still usefull  for things like gmail because basic html you can't switch it by default without it aparently, and I really don't care for the inaccessible graphic shit they call an interface even though there are supposed to be accessibility guides I just can't get the hang of it.
As for firefox, I am completely off firefucks!
The major concern I had with it well several are at least 3 fold.
The first is the multiprocesser stages they have on it will cause websites like youtube, nasa and others to become unresponsive and cause the pc fan to race and the cpu to go full bore.
Thats not really helpfull.
Next the new web extentions.
While in theory I like the idea of a more secure experience they took the top level infobar like menu and but puttons which we as blind users can't access  so new noscript etc just doesn't work.
I did manage to get it working, however with their article on accessibility slowing things down and or causing spyware issues my suspicians are they probably don't care for blind users any fucking more and I don't either.
Chrome, the biggest issue for me is 7 and the fact a lot of stuff is unknown.
While it did have promise after I cleared my drive off with disk cleanup it happily womped bits of my addons which I had to reinstall for sound.
I use waterfox from waterfoxproject.org.
Its got no issue, optional multi cpus which is off, no tracking, no spying, aparently, and runs the old addon systems.
Its not a mozilla thing either.
Its aparently supported by an environmentally friendly search engine to.
The only drawbacks I have seen so far as while it does not have all the extra stuff mozilla has it also uses a slightly older engine.
So things like all the extra filetypes you enjoyed like mp3, ogg, zip and other archive types forget it you will have to set these manually when they come up.
It supports some web playback, and pdfs natively but thats all.
However unlike firefox I don't have inaccessible addon settings or missing menus.
I don't care about the spying everyone does it but the fact is that now I am running a crapless brouser now which the devs promise to keep xul and xpcom the tech supporting old addon types even have an addon store well cool.
Ofcause noscript and a lot of other things will not get updates after firefox 59 so if you need the latest updates this aint for you.
It allows for installing what you want, sadly the drawback means you could probably get an malware attack from an addon but as long as you don't install opencandy, install core and etc be carefull you are ok.
It does state that this thing is for geeks and those that know what they are doing though.
I have found it quite fast, there are no lags etc.
However it must be a few engine versions back from 56.
You don't get advanced things like podcasts, pocket, shields or anything.
Its basically languages and thats it.
A simple shell over the mozilla core what firefox was like 2-6 years back.
I'd actually prefer a 56.0 version of the firefox with the extras but on the other hand this thing just doesn't care that much and is stable.
The reason I didn't drop to 52.x esr is that I never found an accessible user agent to run and at any rate, it woud upgrade to 59 or 57 anyway eventually.
I am happy I use this version.
The last update was october but as I said this aint mozilla.
I could care less about fully being secure, I just want something that works right now.
I know there are probably safer ways to handle things like screen readers but to be honest we are not there yet and with what mozilla is saying, and the fact thunderbird hasn't been updated in ages I do wander what is going on with the company.
Its clear though that no blind person ever tested firefox, because the 2 holes are the buttons and limitations on web addon ui etc.

2017-11-29 20:42:38

Well, IE was one of my first real web expiriences, it's sad to see it go down like this. How ever, I have switched to edge ever sinse I have started to use nvda again after system access, witch didn't work at all on edge, even worser is that some of the good features of SA that worked in IE didn't work at all in edge but that's the different story. How ever, latest NVDA version and Microsoft edge work great, only bad thing is that for some reason you cant navigate by vizited/unvisited links and some other cool stuf but some basic stuf like headings and links still work. All in all Microsoft edge isn't as bad is you all may think it is. n Well, it at least isn't for me smile

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

2017-11-29 23:06:53

I'de recommend use firefox
internet explorer not responding in my laptop,  i've installed and updated all windows 10 updates,  still Ie being lame
they says microsoft edge are being accessible, I couldn't manage to work like firefox does great job
and chrome

2017-11-30 00:17:56

Microsoft Edge already more or less works with screen readers. Both NVAccess and Freedom Scientific are working with Microsoft on Edge accessibility (they literarly have meetings every few months to discuss Windows Accessibility). The reason it's not yet anywhere as polished as Chrome, Firefox or IE is that for Edge, Microsoft has started doing what Apple has been for a while and making the screen reader do less of the work, relying more on the Operating system and the browser to make websites accessible. It's a big change from the virtual buffor aproach that has been used for the last 18 years or so. Once everyone has gotten used to working this way it will work much better with modern apps that now try very hard to feel like normal applications.
Marco Zehe who works with Mozilla did a far better job explaining this and his post is absolutely worth a read if you're curious why Edge support is taking as long as it is to get right.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2017-12-12 17:45:19

I'm currently using jaws 16, and Microsoft Edge is completely unaccessible to me.  Is it at all possible to use Edge without upgrading my jaws?  Is there some setting I need to change, or am I stuck using IE until I upgrade jaws?

2017-12-13 01:32:46

@Theo

Unless others got ideas, you are "stuck."
Jaws 18 is the "minimum" for Edge to work "decently," and by default the setting to make it work at all isn't "on" within the "Quick Settings." (Insert-V.)

Best screen readers for Edge  besides Jaws For Windows, include "Narrator" and "NVDA."

2017-12-13 22:01:35

Hi.
for me, IE works great.
I'm using firefox, but I have no issues with IE.

cheers.

2017-12-15 11:16:09

I'm still using Internet Explorer with few issues, but then again I'm also not on Windows 10.

2017-12-16 04:46:31

Here's another problem I'm having with IE lately. I can watch videos fine on youtube, but if I try to watch any live stream, I get the following message: Your browser does not currently recognise any of the video formats available. I have up-to-date flash player installed and enabled, and I have no trouble watching streams on firefox, so have no idea what is wrong with IE. Googling or clicking the links that come with the error message have produced no answers.

2017-12-16 16:08:52

I actually have the opposite problem, I can watch videos just fine on ie but even with updating stuff on firefox I can't watch most stuff on it anyhow.

2018-07-04 14:39:37 (edited by flackers 2018-07-04 14:44:41)

IE is really showing signs of age now, but can I fuck switch to Firefox or Chrome full time. Every time I try some little niggly thing sends me back to IE. Like I just updated to Firefox Quantum to see if it's accessible, and all seemed well until I went on youtube, and found I couldn't get to the comments section no matter what. I got it open once with NVDA but I don't know how, and haven't been able to do it since. It seems to be the same as Chrome, where you have to go right to the bottom of the page and arrow past the video description then it seems to open up on demand, and the comments header appears. This header doesn't seem to be available until you arrow down to it. So this drove me towards chrome which seems to work okay. Though chrome won't let me read text in edit fields using the sentence commands in jaws, which is how I like to read text. Reading sentence by sentence is the only way to read text if you ask me. And then earlier on I had to pay a customs charge with royal mail and they wouldn't let me enter my address, but rather I had to type part of it in, and select it from a dropdown list. Using both jaws and NVDA, I couldn't access this list with either chrome or firefox. Only IE would let me arrow down this list and select my address. It's fucking ridiculous and really annoying. I want to leave IE behind, but this is just day one of trying, and already I'm having to revert to IE just to get stuff done.

2018-07-04 15:03:20

Say what you will about Internet Explorer, but time and again it shows itself as the most complete of all the browser experiences available, and it just plain works. From my own experiences, I can't say that about any other browser I've tried. Every time I've looked at other browsers, it wasn't long before I'd be removing that other browser and returning to Internet Explorer. Now a days, I don't even bother trying anything else.

2018-07-04 15:33:10

I've always preferred IE too. When it was up-to-date it was definitely the browser I found most usable. But I'm starting to notice more and more how it's getting left behind. I find it tends not to play audio when you click on certain play sample icons on websites. And I'm wondering if when I visit a site and can't find what I'm looking for, is it because it's not there, or is it that IE is incapable of displaying that particular bit of content. IE is a doomed browser, and I want to get the permanent switch over with, but the other up-to-date browsers are in many ways no better, or worse even.

2018-07-04 17:24:25

Funny, the issues I mentioned previously in this topic with chrome have now been fixed, alerts and progress bars read fine, and I have a handy addon that disables all tabs, indeed these days Chrome feels far  more like classic Ie than Ie itself does what with no tabs, downloads in separate windows etc, though without the freezing and crashes. indeed I'm thinking of seeing if I can show Mrs. Dark how to use Chrome since she's getting rather irritated at Ie.

the only time I've had to switch back to Ie was to play corruption of champions because chrome doesn't have the native flash support, but for other things like youtube, amazon etc I've found Chrome and NVda to be a much superior experience generally.

maybe this is an Nvda thing, I have noticed some major improvements in Nvda's working with chrome since I started using it last October as I said, indeed if it didn't cost a hundred quid it would be interesting to try supernova's new chrome support in version 17 and see how it stacks up with Ie, and of course I can't speak for Jaws.

The one thing I still wish Chrome had was a decent favourites folder, since sorry but the in built bookmarks manager just doesn't work very well, and having all the bookmarks in one menu does make first letter navigation of different bookmark folders a miner pest, though its easy enough to circumvent Chrome's bookmark's manager by just using the applications key and the "edit" option on any bookmarks to create new folders, move them around etc.

Oddly enough, this time last year I'd probably have agreed with Ie being the best choice browser wise, particularly  the only time I tried firefox was quite disastrous and I've never got the hang of Safari on my Iphone, but I've personally found getting to grips with chrome was well worth it.

2018-07-04 20:09:11

The thing I most miss about IE's favourites when using FF or Chrome is that with IE you can just type the name in the address bar and it'll go to it. So if you give all your bookmarks really short titles, it can be a really convenient way to access them. For instance, I have my youtube recommendations page bookmarked as rec, so I just need to type that in the addy bar and there I go. If you have quite a few bookmarks beginning with the same letter, it's probably the most convenient way to use them.

2018-07-04 21:09:57 (edited by TheGreatCarver 2019-08-03 05:31:31)

People, Internet Explorer is not developed. As such, by using it, you are opening yourself up to security vulnerabilities. It will only be a matter of time before a smart hacker figures out how many people still use IE, and will find an exploit of some sort to do whatever they wish. Remember the WannaCry ransomware attack, which  left Over 200,000 victims and more than 300,000 computers infected? That targeted people who either didn't have appropriate security patches from Microsoft, or who were using older Windows systems that were past their end-of-life.

As for Chrome accessibility, Chrome is fully accessible with the latest version of JAWS 2018 and NVDA. Older versions of JAWS are not recommended for use with Chrome. I would highly recommend you use the latest version of the NVDA Screen Reader; it can be downloaded from:

https://www.nvaccess.org/download/

I would also recommend you download the latest version of Chrome from:

https://www.google.com/chrome/

As for Firefox, I would also recommend you use the latest version of NVDA, which can be downloaded from the link above, as well as the latest version of Firefox. Firefox can be downloaded from:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Firefox Quantum, the latest Firefox, linked above, does not work well with JAWS versions older than JAWS 2018.1805.33. If you are running an older version of JAWS 2018, update to the latest version. If you are not running JAWS 2018, consider using Firefox 52 ESR, downloadable from this link:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/o … ll/#legacy

Microsoft Edge is still not quite up to par with NVDA, and is barely usable unless you have the latest JAWS 2018.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27