2018-06-19 21:46:11

Hello all,

I like virtual pet stuff and there's an old one of those that really gels with me that I played when I could see better. I went back to it to see if I could still play it with Jaws and the anser is a definite "Yes."

The game is similar to many other virtual pet games set in a virtual universe, you adopt cute fantasy animals and creatures and keep them as pets, battling them, reading them books, collecting all manner of collectable items, and other things.

There are a few things on the system that are flash-based but they are not at all essential to playing the game. There are a couple games on the side that serve no real purpose that you would need flash for and that we couldn't effectively play. But stores, item management, quests, and to an extent, battle work out just fine. The one quirk in battle is you'll have to learn from experience what element your weapons and armor are as regardless of element, all Jaws reveals when it comes over the element icon is "element" and doesn't tell you which one.

Also a lot of the items have hilarious and very witty info bits in their descriptions, and I have been able to do everything I wanted to do with the game except for one thing.

They have a human avatar system and I have found this part of the game, which is big in community stuff is inaccessible, however it is not essential to gameplay, so the wardrobe isn't that big a deal. You also might have to guess about what some of the color schemes are for pets because they aren't called things like "green" or "pink" and you might also have to guess what one of the fake animals is supposed to represent. I'll put some translations down here for you.

harvester (my personal favorite): a little grim reaper
ghostly: a little ghost
fester: from what I remember it is either an eagle or a penguin
malarkey: a duck
ruffie: a dog of some sort
montre: I believe something like a griffon
tutani: a whale
bovine: cow or bull
draegorth: dragon thing
hekai: pony
Kerubi: Japanese monster fox style creature, very cute

of course that's all I can think of as there are well over 50 different species in all. I'll also give you a translation of color types.

spectrum: rainbow colors
voodoo: creepy voodoo stuff
forest: green and some parts of the pet might be vines, branches, or leaves.
sun: bright red or orange
dawn: pink
dusk: medium to pale blue
twilight: dark blues and blacks
graveyard: zombie-like
steamworks: steampunk pets
storm: lightning and stormcloud motif
arid: usually white, sometimes slight middle-eastern or desert reflavoring of parts of the creature
bloodred: dark reds and blacks, often far more macabre representation of the pet with cartoon gore. very evil looking
marsh: moldy browns and greens and slimy in appearance.
cream: creamy colored
angelic: self-explanatory
aqua: aqua in color
chibi: very baby-toy looking, often with large heads and small limbs looking sort of like a very cute drawing in a kids' book.
scribble: a cute pen and ink style drawing.
dark matter: black with halo of black spheres with lavender or pink aura, distinct evil appearance despite the pink color.
common: basic default coloration for a pet, varies widely from species to species.

I probably missed a color pattern or more and I didn't even scratch the surface of the actual pets, but that is the translation I am working with right now.

2018-06-19 22:27:03

Did you forget to post the link?

2018-06-19 22:28:56

yes I did. thanks for the reminder

the link is

subeta.net

sorry about that.

2018-06-19 23:47:45

Ok, today is tooo night to get in there, but I really love that tipe of thing.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-06-20 00:16:18

I will check this one when I have some time, I like the idea of pet battling.

it sounds though as if some of the inaccessible stuff are things that would be easy to fix, EG sticking alt tags on the element icons and at least some of the human avatars, and maybe even having a line or two description for the pet species, so it might be worth contacting the developers and asking if some VI fixes could be added, even if the flash minigames weren't doable.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-06-20 00:20:57

I was thinking about doing that once I played a little more. but yeah, they have forums and unlike a lot of virtual pet games, this one is still very much alive and active. so it is probably quite possible to get some of this stuff done.

As for guessing what pets are like, most pets have items based on them and reading the description often will give you a clue. Like tons of dawn items mention that they are pink or forest items bring up that the items smell like grass and are green.

also most pets have numerous beanbag and plushie items, as well as other interesting toys, stickers, and bobbleheads.

also, when you first register though, there's a nasty captia I had trouble with, but I got sighted help for that and didn't need any other help after that.

2018-06-20 07:34:44

Hmmm, again the capcha might be something to ask about since there are reasonable audio alternatives, or hay if the games admins would be willing to create accounts for blind/vi players by email that would work too.
Unfortunately not everyone has access to sighted assistance, and capcha solution programs like capcha begone aren't always efficient so again this is soemthing which probably ought to be enquired aboutt.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-06-20 15:17:45

dark.

The captia has the audio option attached to it. I couldn't get it to work and had to get sighted help, but I've found where that happens it isn't as much trouble for many other blind gamers so it is probably doable.

2018-06-21 12:05:40

i'll check this out now
the capche is going to be fun
i haven't done much brouser based stuff
sorry for spelling

2018-06-21 13:42:39

I did not have to enter that code, just checked the agree box and the next one for the code, I waited 2 seconds to be on and after I registered with no trouble.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-06-23 09:26:57

hi all i started this yesterday and am currently questing since that tends to be all the walkthrough teaches  which is sad  i agree about things needing descriptions and alt tags i had trubble feeding my pet  due to thins if you register through crome the capture will pop as an agree check  box and you cna just move on with the process how every find playing tiself easyer through fire fox and using nvda

2018-06-28 00:26:43

hello guys, wanted to give you guys an update.

Put down some of the stuff I mentioned above that was hard to do in the game with a screenreader and the staff was extremely quick and helpful in responding to my requests on the forums. Currently nothing has happened yet but  there have already been some promises made.

I was even thanked and praised for bringing it up. and it wasn't just a "thanks for bringing this to our attention" businesslike thing but actually a "that's a really great thing you did," sort of reaction so I have high hopes.

they think battling and descriptions of some stuff can be fixed relatively quickly, they're a little unsure about what can be done for the human avatar wardrobe thing, and of course, I told them not to bother about the flash games because changing them would be too difficult.

2020-02-19 21:41:22

sorry for bumping this but wanted to give an update.

Now with some simple commands, you can get descriptions for things like coloration and pet types now. For example, if you look up i the right way, they will tell you that reborn coloration shows the pet looking intense and on fire.

2020-02-19 22:01:51

Hey 1. Its so good I forgot to visit the link. smile
Will chek it out though...

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-02-19 23:47:24

Hi,
This sounds like a lot of fun.  Will check this out soon.  smile

2020-02-24 01:45:23

I'm glad you bumped the topic, because I have never seen this game before now.
I will check it out.
It sounds fun.

2020-02-24 05:27:56 (edited by Mirage 2020-02-26 05:31:04)

@Bookrage,

Can you give some more information about the new commands and how I can use them to learn about the species of pets?
Thanks so much.

2020-02-26 21:32:28

Mirage,

sorry I didn't see that post you made. And yes! I will be your friend when I join tomorrow.

There is the subetapedia thing you can click on which has entries for many of the creatures in the game. As for how the colors work, I haven't figured out how to do it yet. My advice is get items in the color types and read the descriptions for an idea. For example, a lot of the "field" items are green and refer to floral things and thus you get that field pets are green and often have some leaf stuff going on, but mostly just green.

As for the pet species themselves, they have a pretty good in-depth description for many of the species  in the subetapedia, and if you are having trouble finding it, I'll help you later. Feel free to ask me here or on-game.

I know what a lot of the creatures look like, so if there's a particular animal or fantasy creature you'd like, I can direct you to the closest pet variety for many.

right now, I have a harvester, but am planning to get a fester soon with a golden fester elixir that will turn any pet I get into a golden fester.

2020-02-26 21:57:26

as for colors, you probably won't be dealing with those for a while, most are self-explanatory.

cherry=red
silver=silvery
golden=golden
lilac=purple
arid= white
cream= cream
field= green

and a couple follow patterns you'll find easy to remember

dawn=pink
sun=vibrant reds and oranges
dusk= medium blue
twilight= dark blues and navy colors

I'll share some others.

sweetheart= fluffy and frilly pinks, valentine's is most opften associated with this color
reborn: made of bright flames
riftborn: made of darker and scarier flames
nostalgic: look like old-timey toys (you actually have to build those pets.
hydrus: aquatic-looking with things like octopus tentacles and suckers
glade: actually has a lot of plant parts and is more than just field which is mostly just green.
marsh: muddy looking
graveyard: zombie-looking
glacier: icy and wintery looking
nightmare: very sinister-looking with dark colors
bloodred: dark reds and often covered in g-rated gore, almost every pet looks pretty hellish in bloodred
spectrum: rainbow
nuclear: neon green with halo of green light
angelic: just what it says
harvest: autumn colors, usually only available in the autumn.
storm: often with a mix of dark clouds and lightning making up the creatures if you are very lucky, you might be given that potion that will let you do that to a pet if you play on Mondays (I've never had it happen.)
aqua: usually aqua in color with some aquatic features sometimes added in.
common: the default colors for a species, this one varies far more widely than any of the others from species to species.
vibrant: a clashing mix of purples and greens in very loud colors. from what I've heard, on some species it looks gorgeous while on others it makes your eyes scream.
scribble: the creature is drawn in a simple pen-and-ink style
chibi: drawn in a classic Super-deformed style with proportions that make the pets look very babyish and infantile compared to their regular forms.
dark matter: The pets are in dark colors with an aura of laveder or pale magenta with little orbs with eyes floating around them. They also look particularly angry or annoyed. This is because dark matter is an evil force in the Subeta world.

if you want me to help you find a pet type you want. I'll tell you that pets really come in a few categories on the game.

1. pet animals: though no pet on Subeta is realistic, several more closely resemble animals people actually keep as pets like felis or ruffies or waradors.
2. wild animals: still not realistic, but resemble animals that are real but are not generally kept as pets such as catigers, tutamis (which resemble whales,) and a few others such as festers (which resemble vultures)
3. dinosaurs: some pets resemble dinosaurs more than anything else like swampies (which are cute pesiosaurs) telonines (which are a weird cross between a wolf and a stegasaurus so also belong in the previous category) and so on.
4. mystical creatures: These pets resemble imaginary creatures like griffons like either tha Montre or the Antre (I get them confused) or unicorns like the Multicorn. or dragons like several pets such as the Dragarth, or sometimes spooky things like the grim-reaper-turned-cute harvesters or the sheet-ghost ghostlies.

2020-02-26 22:02:58

as for changing your species or color. It isn't easy to get what you want most of the time.

you can play the potion lottery but your chances of winning are quite small even in the best situations. I've never won and some potions aren't available there.

You can also play with the pet zappers, but they can change your pet's species, gender, and color, and it is really a roll of the dice when you do that and you have no control.

You can also buy potions with real money or with game money but for many potions players will charge you a lot though the cherry potion I used to change my harvester into a cherry harvester was a gift. Some potions also show up in the crystal shop, but you have to be both very lucky and very quick to get them.

There are also elixirs that will change a pet's species and color. Most of these only exist for the most common colors. For example I have a golden fester elixir right now which will change anything I feed it to into a golden fester. However, gold is a common color and I doubt I'd find something like a glaciaer fester elixir because glacier is a much rarer color.

also forgot one of the color types.

steamworks: You have to build these pets rather than convert them, much like the nostalgic pets. These are robotic-steampunk versions of many of the pets in the game.

2020-02-27 20:05:38

Thank you so much!
That clarifies a lot of things for the colors.
Am I right in imagining wyllops like bunnies?
And what is a terracoon?

2020-02-27 20:27:25

actually, from what I remember, Wyllops are like rats. Waradors are like bunnies from what I remember.

A terracoon is a sort of fantasy racoon-like creature.

2020-02-27 23:11:14

The most difficult thing for me is naming pets. Every idea I have has been taken. LOL.
Is there any quick way to feed all your pets at once? That seems to take the longest time, getting them to fully fed.

2020-02-28 01:22:23

generally, unless you are battling, there is no point to feeding them. Unlike in some other games, they won't get sick or die if you don't feed them. The only reason a pet would need to be fed is that they need to be fed to battle. You can also feed them foods because there are achievements for feeding pets a wide variety of foods. For example, when you feed a pet 100 different types of food, you can go to their page and click the number next to food eaten and get an achievement. (there are a lot of achievements based on that both before and after 100)

2020-02-29 09:50:59

Three more questions.
1. What games are best for totally blind players?
I play Random, but otherwise so far, I've been sticking to quests.
2. Any idea how to move special currency into your shop?
I have two subeautique invitations, which won't do anything for me since I can't dress up the human avatar. So I thought I'd sell them, and I can see that they are in others' shops. But I don't see how to move my invitations from my currency storage to my shop.
3. Are there any creatures that resemble a giraffe, or an elephant?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm reading every FAQ I find on the site, but there is so much to the game!
That makes it fun!