2018-06-23 13:40:38

Hi,
The topics subject may seem a bit wierd, but both problems are inter-related and if you can help with any of the 2 or both I would be truely greatful.

So I have been using a Iphone 6 plus 16gb for a while now,without any issues but 1 (more on that below), and am on ios 9? probably with 2 apps audio defence and papasangre 2 that I would rather not let go if it can be avoided. Considering that those games arent available on the appstore anymore.
Is there a way I could backup these 2 apk files  and use them again later on?

Now the space issue I am facing.
I hardly have a few apps installed, 2.5gb worth of music on the thing but yet my phone shows 100mb 200mb of space left,some times 0kbs depend on how its feeling at that moment.
Before I could atempt to purchase a hd movie from itunes (lord of the rings) and it would do something that would clear up some space that is get it to 2.2gb space left from 0kbps, which obviously would not be enough for the movie to be downloaded so the purchase would fail like I intended it to. but recently the purchase goes through no matter whether or not you are able to download the movie or not,and the clearing up thing doesnt work,either.
The space that is cleared or was able to be cleared before would go back to 100mb 0kb etc as soon as I attached my phone to an adaptor and had it connected to wifi over time.
I have of course went in and deleted the ios update files as and when it downloads them which the phone hasnt in a while.

Is there a way to get this missing space back? the documents and data in itunes along with the other is huge 2gb to 4gb each which varys each time I sink the phone with itunes.

I am thinking I may as well upgrade to ios 11 anyway sinse I could really use the space right now (KODP AND 6AGES) big_smile and get rid of the space issue hopefully... by a complete reset or clean install as they say. but that would make me miss out on audio defence and papasangre so I am hoping another solution to this storage issue can be found.
Thanks in advance,
Cheers.
Grryf.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2018-06-23 16:21:27 (edited by MasterChief 2018-06-23 16:23:48)

Hi,
Regarding the games, I don't think you can get a backup of them anymore.
In the past we were able to backup apps in using itunes but apple removed that ability long time ago.
So unfortunately, there is no way to back them up, when you restore your phone from a backup you will not find them, because the backup system does not backup apps anymore, it only  backup the data for the apps.
When you restore the phone from a backup, it will download the apps from the appstore, so if the app isn't on the appstore then it will not get downloaded, and this is the cases with the games you want to keep.

2018-06-26 01:54:02

hi griff, lets see if we can help. go to settings and under storage please tell me exactly, on the fone it self. what is being used. please right the brake down for me. example. music 1 gig, documents 2 gig, mesages 3 gigs. and so on. baced on that sixteen gig moddel u should have at leest six or five gigs usable.

There's a place for me in this universe.

2018-06-26 02:20:46

How about just save cash till you can buy a second iPhone? I know that sounds easier said than done, but it seems to be worth considering. Just take the first iPhone off line. That way you should still be able to use the something else titles.
smile

2018-06-26 07:10:42 (edited by grryfindore 2018-06-26 07:13:39)

Hi guys,
Thank you for trying to help, I am greatful smile

@MasterChief, I hope not. I believe I read something somewhere where you could back up ipa files and then use them later but I dont exactly remember how...

@flyby chow, the thing is the total doesnt add up, that is why I said there was something fishy going on, and how the space gets filled up after I connect it to wifi. could be the update thing but I doubt it as trying to download a movie would clear it up.
Here is what my phone and itunes have to say about the space on my iphone.
iphone
used 11.36gb
available 382.6mb
manage storage shows the breakdown as under.
music 2.71gb
papa sangre 331.1mb
seeingai 245.2mb
triviacrack 181.1 mb
uber 179mb
whatsapp132.8mb
audiodefence 129.1 mb
crafting kingdom 108mb
knfbreader96.9mb
be my eyes  72.1mb
photos&camera 69.9mb
workflow 69.3mb
myjio 68.1mb
millionair 65.5mb
my media 60.5mb
kotak bank50.4 mb
vlc41mb
adguard40.5mb
mudrammer 38.3mb
jiotv 31.2mb
shareit 29.5mb
taptapsee 22.9mb
shredder lite 22.7mb
land of livia 19.7 mb
selfie x 5.2 mb
mail 5mb
safari 4.8mb
messages 3.1mb
health 3mb
ibooks 2.6mb
contacts1.8mb
voice memos1.5 mb
calender reminders 963kb
sounds 676kb
podcasts12kb
Now for itunes
audio 2.45gb 470songs
photos 66.7mb
apps 1.78gb
books 2.3mb
documents and data 370.3mb
other 2.56gb
3.48gb free
which is rather wierd.

I have connected phone to the pc and restarted the phone, have synced with Itunes, which freed 100mb of space or there abouts but nothing more.

@MikeFont, I guess I should, but living in a third world country here, no monthly disability allowance, and job searches are really fun.
Grryf.

Follow me on twitter

2018-06-26 11:56:26

Aha, I see your dilemma now, that makes it really tough, sorry man. I do hope this works out for you somehow.
Best of luck!
smile

2018-06-26 20:45:51

If you have the old iTunes prior to version 12.7 you can back all you apps up to itunes and hold on to them that way. But never update itunes or you will lose out on this functionality. After version 12.7, apple removed apps from iTunes.
you can get the program called iMazing which will allow you to backup and restore lots of stuff like apps from you phone. I believe you might have to have the paid version of Imazing though.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2018-06-26 23:04:34

Is IMazing accessible. I've heard of it, but many of these backup apps don't work at all with screen readers.

After people made a fuss about Apple taking away the ability to back up apps, they relented and put the older version of Itunes back on their servers, but I think it's pretty well buried. Still, you should be able to do a Google search and try to find that version, if you already installed the new one.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-06-28 01:50:27

hi griff, i do feel your pain. yup somethings up there. i suspect it is or mite be IOS trying to download updates, of witch it would want to nag u to update. in otherwords, wanting to offer to update to newer version. so it mite have cached those files in back ground. please do me a favor. under your watsapp ap. when u back it up to i cloud, how big, does whatsapp say  is its user data, chats, voice notes and so on. i am refering to the chat backup option, found under whatsap settings tab, another tip i have is that, if u don't use garage band, I movie, key note. you'd wanna considder removing them. as that wil give u close to 3 gigs of space. perhaps also consider to manually update apps from appp store so u can decide exactly what gets installed their. please check those things for me and let me know.

There's a place for me in this universe.

2018-06-28 06:31:49 (edited by grryfindore 2018-06-28 06:35:23)

Hi,
I suspect something wierd is up with my Iphone or with the version of Itunes or well... something lol.

I downloaded this version of itunes
@Kyleman123, Thank you for the app suggestion.
I did try IMazing, and to answer turtlepower17s question, its usable. You have to fiddle around figure out how stuff works once you have it down, you ought to be able to use it just fine.
Heh though I set up incripted backups for my iphone and backed it up for the first time on itunes. then installed IMazing and it wanted to create a backup too to be able to work properly.
Funny how things work, anyhow, now all the passwords I type in Itunes seem to be incorrect and so I can not backup the dam thing or get the apps via IMazing as it requires the backup password even if it creates backups. and no, ITunes didnt ask me for a password like its suppose to so I didnt type in any during checking the incript this backup option. bah!

All this managed to free up about 2gb of space on my phone though,god only knows how or why. still I hope it doesnt get taken back by the phone.
So I dont need to upgrade or restore just yet. I also tryed to transfer the purchases via this Itunes onto my pc but all I got were books, no apps so maybe apple doesnt allow that no more? or maybe I am missing something.

flyby chow, all those apps I listed are the only ones on my phone, no other. and on an 16gb Iphone you dont get apps like keynote movies garageband etc installed by default and I havent installed them either.
I looked into Whatsapp chatbackup and its hardly 100mb or that, or at least it was. I have reduced it to 40mb by now. big_smile
Thanks for all your help,guys. I have about 2gb free atm, not for long though I think, and its still not as much as I should be left with, but I am happy for the 2gb anyway.
Grryf.

Follow me on twitter