2018-06-23 02:37:55

Ah, entitled blindy, butthurt that the world doesn't bend to suit their needs.
Amusing read with some educational stuff in the middle. Bye!

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2018-06-23 04:00:49

Come on now, vmware isn't that hard to use. You can still play games, so I'm not really sure why this matters unless you really, really, really like Mac voices maybe... There've already been posts explaining to you why porting most windows games to Mac isn't viable, and also why just developing for mac is also not viable. As Joseph said, you have to get a Mac if you don't have one. That's an investment that... won't really help you in the long run, probably. If you don't have a mac already, it stands to reason you don't need mac os for anything, so you'd basically be paying $1000 or more to develop games on some other platforms that isn't worth it. I've never had the chance to look at statistics for audiogame sales, but given a price of $15, you'd have to sell 67 copies of an audiogame just to break even, just on that price. And that's not considering sounds, acting, and whatever other misc prices pop up over the course of audiogame development. So you're barely even likely to break even. And if your game isn't even payed and you still buy a mac just to get it to players running Mac, then you are either rich or really devoted to your players. And that's assuming the language (and your game) is already cross platform. Like Joseph said, Ian would probably have to rewrite most of the AHC engine to get it onto Mac. That would mean maintaining 2 different engines for 2 different systems. I'm not sure if you're a coder, but do you know how tedious and stressfull that would be?

2018-06-23 06:55:36 (edited by jack 2018-06-23 06:56:40)

Lucas nailed it. To be brutally honest, if tts is the thing what's so special about it/ I mean, yeah Mac voices are great, but are they worth calling home about when all you need is a voice to get you by in your game? I mean come on.
As for the engine? Not only wold the whole thing have to be recoded. It isn't even a recode, it would be a complete do-over since .net framework has not been made for Mac. So two engines that work completely differently, and have far too different underlying code? Yeah, no thanks, sorry all 1 in every 10 of you mac users. out there. Run through wine or vmware fusion, what else can I say. The playingfield is evened out as electron and js starts to handle more games, I really see a lot of potential in that. But it still has a lot of growing up to do as a platform, webaudio couldn't possibly handle a h c or any similar game. At least not yet. I'll be the first to say that I really hope it eventually does. But for now it's just too prepubescent to handle fmod studio's job.

2018-06-23 16:34:19

As long as you don't use any Windows-specific features, .NET applications can run under Mono on Mac. It is possible to port Windows games to Mac and other platforms provided they've been written to be portable in the first place. If AHC is written in .NET, they'd have to do away with DirectX and use OpenGL or some other cross-platform library to render sounds. For example, since my TDV server is purely a console application, it runs fine under Mono on Linux of all things. smile

I've done it with a project once, but it was a small-scale project and for academic purposes only. If the engine is already written, given the maturity of Mono today, it should have no problems running. But the real issue is the sound libraries. Switching from DirectX to OpenGL is no small task.

2018-06-23 16:50:55

This is purely academic at this point, since the probability of this actually happening is exceedingly low, especially since mac isn't a gaming platform. Joseph from Out of Sight Games has already laid out the challenges that have been involved, and not to cast aspersions on anyone from that venerable company, but due to the loss of the developer (Ian Reed) who wrote the engine, he will have the most intimate knowledge of how it works. And while OOSG did say that he is available for consulting work, consulting and being there, writing code, and working on something he built from the ground up versus getting someone to that level of knowledge with the engine he wrote is a challenge indeed.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-23 17:17:17

I do remember Mono, in fact wine on both linux and mac includes it. Obviously the issue with directx still remains, however. Especially in an engine that relies heavily on it. They happen to have fmod studio for the mac, but again, two different binaries, when the mac is little more than a casual gaming platform. You do realize that most of the big-name mainstream game developers don't even bother with the mac, right? Not even with cider/wine bundles. So don't get to thinking that this is an issue only in our community. Just like buying a console you need to know what you're getting yourself into, indeed this is one very good reason you'll never find a hackintoshed gaming rig. Not to mention you couldn't ever sell that, but there's just no point.

2018-06-23 18:43:02

Not just that. And while FMOD isn't an issue (its an assembly, which is portable across all platforms, if I'm not mistaken, unless it was written natively), you'd need to rip out tolk and somehow implement your own custom screen reader abstraction too. The work to do something like this is incredibly huge the way we've layed it out already, and there are probably other components of the engine we don't know about.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-06-23 19:11:37 (edited by jack 2018-06-23 19:12:10)

And we all know how much of a pain interfacing with Apple's text to speech framework directly is. If it was simple we'd have espeak for the mac by now, oh wait we already do, someone has it somewhere but I unfortunately do not, but I hear it's rough around the edges. Regardless, it's more trouble than what its worth for voices that are a dime a dozen this day and age, or just to support the platform in general.

2018-06-24 00:22:38

Hi,

@eric
I am not going through the whole topic, not right now at least … But my Your_adventure audiogame is build in bgt, and ported to mac as well. Check my website to get a link to download the distribution.

I agree with the posts i have read thus far. There indeed more audiogames on iPhone, then on mac, but i also dug a bit into what apple requires from it's developers, and those requirements aren't requirements i don't want to come by … It is far to much given my skills and expertises.

hth

greetz pelantas

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2018-06-24 08:19:22 (edited by Chris 2018-06-24 08:23:13)

I'm seriously starting to question Apple's commitment to (and the future of) the Macintosh. They haven't refreshed many of their computers in over a year and they're moving waaaaay too quickly in terms of software updates. I'm tired of buggy releases and no meaningful improvements for VoiceOver!

I'm not surprised no one wants to develop blind friendly games for the OS. It used to be a fantastic operating system with so much potential, but it's been stagnating ever since Cook took over Apple. Your best bet is to wait for the SDK to port iOS apps to macOS. Maybe developers of accessible games can create macOS versions if it's not too difficult.

If Apple ever introduces ARM based Macs, that will be the day I stop using the platform. I'm not buying a really expensive computer with an ARM processor that is controlled exclusively by Apple. I already do that with my iPhone and know I'll be screwed over once they stop releasing security updates. I like that these machines can run Windows or Linux and would hate to buy a laptop that only lasted for 5 years before becoming obsolete.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-06-24 16:55:34 (edited by jack 2018-06-24 17:08:11)

Couldn't agree more. Soon, it just works, will mean that it just works and only allows you to do what it's explicitly meant to do, screw the enthusiasts. Yeah, they claim that mac osx and ios will still remain separated. There's only so much separation you can do when you're using your own damn chipsets! If Apple would stop bitching about Qualcom, and keep things going with Intel, they might get somewhere. But no, all they want to do is make an excuse to release new hardware that will eventually impose itself on the users. My Macbook Pro2015 will surprisingly be supported till 2021. Afterwhich I'm probably gonna want a custom build pc or something to that effect. It's very unfortunate, even when I bought the thing back in 2015 you could still say it was the machine you wanted to buy. That was before Microsoft had a complete culture shift and started making windows10 better than ever. I'll say it again to emphasize my point, voiceover is becoming the Jaws for Windows of first party screenreaders. Just you wait. There is some frightening truth to what GW Micro said years ago, about Apple including the screenreader being a huge disservice. Obviously they meant it as a marketing ploy years back when they actually put it out there, but with the way Apple is going? Now I could almost buy their argument, because what they predicted would happen, happened. Well it hasn't happened yet, but if they keep going down this read, it sure as hell will happen, and people who swear by ios/mac are going to get an unfortunate rude awakening. And there's no one anyone can do, because voiceover is obviously closed source. go figure.

2018-06-24 17:41:11

Yep. Then windows and Linux will get the popularity they actually deserve (Linux in particular). People claim Linux is for geeks and enthusiasts; I always debunk those statements with the obvious question of, "Have you actually tried it, or are you reiterating what others have said?" Because I know Linux isn't just for geeks; its an actually usable, very well written, and very good OS. And very flexible too! smile Honestly, Apple just needs to die. Seriously. It needs to die a horrible, horrible death. I mean, according to https://www.zdnet.com/article/10-best-smartphones, Apple isn't even number one, but numbers 3 and seven respectively! How sad for them! (Not!) Of course, the sheep that always use them will go, "Oh, they're just trying to protect us," and then they'll discover the over-restrictive environment Apple is, and go, "WTF?"

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-06-24 18:32:34

The problem Ethin is that Apple, with iPhones in particular, caters to the technologically impaired. Mobile in general kills technical competence. And I don't need to explain any further, because this article should speak for itself.

2018-06-24 18:56:17

As for windows I used to hate 7 for its memory management and love xp for being extremely lightweight and no *i know better than you* startup repair bullshit, but windows 10 seems to meet in the middle. Ok, more eye-candy so it's not as memory-efficient as xp, but somehow I think it manages itself better than 7. Besides, it's getting better as far as integrating with opensource solutions is concerned, then again Microsoft's culture has completely changed (I do not miss the Steve Balmer era) and they have a lot more respect towards Linux. Am I saying the windows subsystem for linux is the best thing in the world? No, because it doesn't replace real linux, but I see the potential for windows and linux to be on a more even playing field in the near future. Indeed, perhaps the most closed off machine, the chromebook, now endorses Linux as a second option, and several nostalgic throwback Android pda's have duel boot Linux as an option as well.

2018-06-24 20:40:05

first of all, if I get an admin warning after this post, I'll happily accept it. secondly, I've quit reading after post 33, I just saw no point to it. and now, the post shall began. warning! strong language!
there are 3 types of blindies. 1) the apple blindy.
these guys are just what the title says. newest mac, newest iPhone, oh wait, iPad pro, fuck, let's also get an apple watch. these guys, simply, if it's not made by apple, will refuse to touch it. never mind paying 1500 bucks for a mac, which they'll have to boot camp for what I can only consider basic things, or find work arounds like wine, but one of those have nothing special about them. I've spent countless hours on facetime with one of these guys, so I should know.
2) the JAWS lovers. these guys work even more simple. it doesn't work with JAWS? fuck it, I'm out, I won't fucking use that piece of shit, the dev doesn't give a shit about my favourite screen reader, JAWS! how dare they!
3) the ones that learn to adapt, and aren't afraid to change. while there aren't that many of this category, certainly less than there should be, some of us are willing to adapt, use work arounds, get around the issue, so it fits our personal needs.
it is pretty obvious at this point, where the poster currently falls. it is also pretty obvious that if one can afford a mac, they can also afford a laptop, or whatever else. buying, rather, bidding for a god damn laptop, you can get one on eBay next to nothing. so you got no games on the mac? no worries, get a laptop for 200 bucks, install NVDA, and install all your god damn games! .
if anyone got offended, or reports the above rant, that will only further prove my point. and I'm not afraid to get a warning for what I can only describe as reality.
now onto an actual question. since macs can install DMG files outside of the app store, curious minds actually wonder, as to why there are so few games, given that IOS needed,last I heard, like $200 for a developer account, and all sorts of other things, not to mention app store approval. it's also interesting, since I believe the play store isn't that restricted, (though never researched it) yet there are less games for android, than for IOS, that are accessible, and from a none-developer's point of view, while there would be less customers, it would be cheaper to maintain. so yeah, I, too, am confused about the mac, to be honest. and while there is nothing wrong with wondering, which is also what I'm doing as well, hugging the 1500 bucks worth of mac won't get anyone anywhere.
on a serious note, I'm currently thinking of snapping up a mac book below £100 on eBay, just so I can learn it, and just so I can find out why the blind community loves it so much. who knows, maybe I can show off with it in the process. tongue
let's see if I get any thumbs up, or if I wasted my time.

2018-06-24 20:49:15

sorry for double posting. speaking of memory management, I somehow feel as if 8.1 kicked both 10 and 7 to hell, when it comes to responsiveness, and memory.
hopefully 10 will improve, microsoft has 2 and 5 years, respectively.
voiceover. don't get me started on that. bugs since IOS9, and probably before, anyone? unstable voiceover cursor, anyone? braille screen input keyboard vanishing when a notification comes in, anyone?
I currently have an iPhone, because it fits my personal needs more than an android would. with that said, I have an android 7 tablet, and I experiment on it all the time. apple already wants to take away USB, they already took away the home button, which I loved, BTW, they're now wanting to switch the CPU? well fuck it, I'll keep the SE till it dies then, or something. sadly even samsung got rid of the home button, in some of it's latest. while I don't mind virtual home buttons, touch sensitive can go to hell. I don't like 5 and 6 inch phones either, indeed, is partly why I'm on an SE to begin with,

2018-06-24 21:38:30

I have an iPhone because Apple nail the user experience like Android doesn't do. I am not naive about what they do, what they stand for, and what they are as a company though. It's just that I choose to accept these things, for now at least. I have had several Android tablets which I'e rooted, flashed custom ROMs on and fucked about with the Xposed framework and GravityBox which let me make it really personalized to me. I also put the Franco Kernel on my Nexus 7 2012 to try to eek a little more out of it, but she wasn't having any of that.

The Jaws lovers annoy the hell out of me, and FS's best in class thing is like, oh my fuckign gawd, not anymore buddy, not in like a decade, or 5 years or so, sorry about your luck. Half the time web devs have to go out of their way to make shit work with it that other screen readers are like hmm OK sure. Even if its not technically correct to spec, they'll try to guess and give it to you as they interpret it, if its not 100% to spec, and even sometimes work arounds in ARIA because even if it is to spec, still nothing, but even if it is spec, Jaws might still not work with it. If your code isn't right, just forget about it. Accessibility on the web is huge and comprehensive, and I love that other screen readers at least attempt to salvage the situation.

I would like to see programs written in such a way as to be screen reader agnostic. If your program is written such that it exposes its elements to one of the accessibility APIs, Jaws should work with it, if it doesn't, its not the fault of the developer, its the fault of the screen reader manufacturer. Also, Jaws lovers are so petty and arrogant, and want to get all butthurt if you point out to them something Jaws either doesn't do well, or that another screen reader does better.

The non-changers bug me too. The ones that are still using XP to this day, or that have barely just moved to 7 and will use that until it quits working. Listen, life is change, I don't always like change, but it comes my way, so instead of crying, I roll with the punches. That's what you gotta do, and that's what living life as a blind person is all about, its about adapting, solving problems, and what's better than solving problems is to solve them before other people are even are aware of them. One area where this problem solving, and anticipating problems will help you immensely is going off to university or college in America. You need to realize that your education is now your responsibility, you're paying tens of thousands of dollars, and if you aren't the state or federal government, or a combination of those, and others will be. It therefore behooves you to succeed, and do as much as you can to ensure your success. One way you can do this is to write up a little paper explaining your disability and things you might need, and hand this to each of your professors. Another way might be to get the list of books as soon as you know what they are, and see if you can acquire them through means at your disposal, like bookshare. If not, Contact your disability agency and get them to get the books for you. They will be able to send them off for someone to scan in or something like that, or may be able to get a digital copy from the company. Also, if you know that a course is going to be using a particular software package, and its something you've never used before, it is in your best interest to try and acquire that package and see if it is accessible, if it is, great, one less thing to worry about, if not, then you have the time to write to the developer and the manufacturer of your screen reader to try to get something going. It would also be the time to meet with your Dean, or Disability Director to be like, OK, this is what I have next semester, this is what I can confirm, I've bought these books in digital format, i'm sending away for these other books to be scanned by a professional service, but I have one or two I can't get done, and I have this piece of software that will not work with my screen reader. You'd rather be dealing with this when you have a few weeks to spare rather than like 2 days, trust me. So, the whole, I never adapt, I never change, that dooms you to failure.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-24 22:01:07

Well thumbsup for you Braille0109 in post 40, you said what I wanted to say, but it was better formuled.
I know alot of these people, from all 3 categories and I think I am in the 3rd category because for example, I had alot of problems with that display intercept driver, screw it, I switched to nvda, I had to reinstall win 7, no one to help me, so, grabed an usb stick, burned win 10 on it and installed it.
I do not want to say I have alot of skils or something because I always screw things very, very bad, but I learned to adapt myself when no help was there, I was a jaws lover for alot of time too, because this was the screen reader I learned first and it was something simple for its time.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-06-24 22:15:44

43, thanks for the kind words. it's the little things that count.
42 nailed JAWS users on the head. sadly, on win10, narrator will be my secondary choice of screen reader. I remember using iTunes with it in 1607, people were laughing at the idea. however, due to issues outside of my control, am back to windows 8.1 and 7, but as soon as I get a 10 device, I want to do insider, and make a difference to the community. microsoft listens, so if one goes the right way about this, we will all benefit.
as for your android tablet, you have a nexus 7 2012 as well? if yes, try installing 7.1.2 liniage CUSTOM ROM (excuse spelling.) that's what I did, and since I did that, I no longer want to let go of the tablet. was gonna sell it, but didn't want to spend money. same for my laptops, I'll use them till they literally die. I also don't want, or need the latest and greatest. again, 42 nailed it, so I have nothing else to add besides the android tablet thingy.

2018-06-24 22:24:51

This question (post 1) has a simple response: Most blind people own a Windows computer! This is why Mac games haven't been developed. That's just the way things are. There is more support for Windows programming, and beginning programmers don't have to confuse themselves with the mess of development environment hurdles associated with app creation on apple platforms.
Now, having addressed that question, since it doesn't seem the original poster has an interest in furthering the discussion beyond the Mac environment, I would like to make a few comments regarding the technical topics that, not surprisingly, always tend to arise.
First, yes, Linux is a great Operating System, and perhaps it could use more attention in terms of developing applications and games for it. However, it can't be denied that for us blind people, Linux is still far behind in accessibility as compared to Windows, or even the Mac. I'm a Linux user and enthusiast myself, but I would respectfully disagree with the idea that Linux has made it to a point of user friendliness. It's not quite there. At least, not for us blind people. I'd say a user would still have to be familiar with editing configuration files, setting up inaccessible Desktop features via command line tools, and also have an idea of how to correctly handle package management issues should the need arise. Now, this may not be a problem for your typical developer, but an end-user may not be so keen to participate in such a journey of learning.
Regarding multiplatform speech support:
Well, this is a tricky topic indeed. Unfortunately, in many avenues of software development, there is always going to be sacrifices that one must make. Sometimes, it will be performance/speed. Other times it may be an exclusion of a feature. An end-user won't really care if you use the iostream library or the stdio.h library in C/C++. As long as you find a way to direct output to the screen, it's all the same. Now, we could argue best programming practices, etc, all day, but that isn't the point. Your ultimate goal is to impress the user, not your developer friends! Obviously, you don't want to neglect a certain app feature, less you run the risk of maximizing imbalance (for example, don't over do it with unnecessary function calls or using constants where possible to avoid memory consumption). The point is to sacrifice something that may not be too much of an issue for the user. This is where the excitement of Electron Apps and Javascript comes into play.
Web APIs have most of the functionality that would take us lower level programmers a huge amount of time to compile and gather. This includes facilities for multiplatform screen-reader capabilities. ARIA is a wonderful thing in the world of AudioGames. Also, WebAudio is a really high-level OpenAL wrapper. So, that statement in itself should say a lot. There is one little sacrifice though: The bulkiness of the apps. this is because all the browser libraries are included in such an app.
Anyway, just some food for thought. smile

2018-06-24 22:41:50

Posts 40 through 45 nailed it. As for Linux being an un-user friendly operating system...let me again point out, all be it valid points were raised, that Linux is user friendly, it's just very picky about who its friends are. If you want a computer that just works then don't get Linux, unless you're willing to learn it. You're willing to get up-close and personal with your computer? Linux all the way. I honestly have no problem learning a new system, how do you think people back in the dos days managed when that was the only option, and there were no gui's to screw things up? When people actually had communications settings to deal with? Lol.

2018-06-25 08:01:29

It's interesting to see how people, always, bitch at Apple products, every time there is a topic about it. If you really hate it that much, why are you then even waisting your time reading the topics about it, and then post negative, offensive and bad comments about it? Even posting negative articles? Sometimes I wander how many of those people who really are having a good life, when focusing on all the negative things.
Do you wanna know why I choose to use a Mac as my primary computer and OS? Because it runs extremely stable, which is what I need, living here without sighted help all the time. For my private busy life and for my job, I need something which just works. I don't need an OS, with an external screenreader like in Windows, where an external screenreader crash like all other programs can do. Okay there is Narrator, but I don't see that as my main screenreader yet.
When the Mac OS crash, or needs to be reinstalled because I messed it up or because of other reasons, I need a system which just talks under the whole process. I can't use a pc, where the sound might, or might not work depending on drivers, the sound card etc. Yes, I know there are workarounds, but I just need something which works. Windows does not meet my nees regarding to this.
Then, all the personal things: The way Voiceover works makes just sense to me. A much more visual orientated screenreader.
Yes, I use Windows and Linux as well. I use whatever is required depending on what I need.
It's sad that there are always people who don't respect other peoples choices without bitching about the products they don't like. It's like: People are bored, so why not spending the time focusing on all the negative stuff and say this and this is bad, and those products nees to die, because you don't like it.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-06-25 10:55:39

1) if my windows crashes, I fire up a windows PE, restore an image, job done. I will also have speech throughout the process.
2) I don't recall anyone bitching about apple products in particular, we've just pointed out that we don't like the way apple is going about things.
3) you've touched up on the point, which, I'm not sure of the others, but I was trying to explain. you use whatever works for you. so OK, you have a mac. so you need games, you install windows. you also use linux, I believe, and whatever else you happen to need. that is exactly what I would want to encourage post 1 to also do. in the meanwhile, I'll see if I can hunt off a mac for below my price range, and who knows, maybe I'll end up liking it. but again, there is a difference between using a mac willingly, and working around issues, or expecting people to put things on the table for you. hope this helps to clarify.

2018-06-25 13:38:37

Also, I don't know what you ment by negative articles. The one Jack posted is so true that I wish everybody could read it, and it does not bitch at Apple in specific. Regarding Windows, as many people have said the story is changing with Windows 10 for good. There is such a slight chance that you will have no sound when booting that you must be running an really opscure sound device. Most sound devices are supported nowadays by Microsoft generic drivers, and they say on their accessibility page that you should have USB audio, but they do it as a precaution so that some hates aren't like oh this narrator on boot screen does not even work when in fact that is not even the issue. It works under safe mode too and is constantly improving. In the next update it is getting commands which are NVDA and jaws alike too, so that will be quite great.

2018-06-25 14:58:00

I've done a windows 10 install 3 times where I had speech the entire way through.

End racism
End division
Become united