2018-06-17 07:20:25

Hello everyone, I want to ask. I have known some digital audio work station software for windows users. from qubasis, FL studio, and sonarX3. but I do not know what it is accessible to NVDA screen readers?

2018-06-17 08:07:20

You want to use Reaper.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-06-17 08:40:20

For Windows. Reaper is your go to Daw

2018-06-17 09:08:07

Another one for Reaper.

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
"Cause in a game of life or death, you either live, or you die."
"Wake the fuck up, samurai. We have a city to burn."

2018-06-17 10:54:31

I've used Reaper but always with my MIDI data I get stuck notes. I'm disappointed about that.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU
SAY! - Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Dec 4, 1992 prototype)

2018-06-17 16:10:27

You can use reaper.

Awesome, you made it to the end!
Hit h to go to the next post.

2018-06-17 17:20:19

@5
it really depends on the instruments you are using and remember that if your instrument or plug-in works the way it should, f3 is your key for muting or getting rid of your stuck notes. A more detailed description (when are you getting stuck notes?) would have been preferable.
there is too a lot of info at www.reaperaccessibility.com and in the forums so do not give up.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-06-17 17:45:34

Well, if you're on windows, and you want to do any sort of multi track audio, whether  that be recording instruments with microphones, and mixers, or want to create midi with vsts, reaper is your go to. No, if you have a keyboard, such as a Roland FA, for example, and want to use it's patches in your projects, you will also need quick winndows sequencer, as you can use it to control what patch is used, then record it's audio to reaper. Ironically, on a mac, you don't have as many possibilities for accessibility, unless you buy the native instruments komplete kontrol and software, as that has speech. GarageBand and Logic pro X are really easy to use, as far as setting up your midi and audio devices, and recording. The problems with those options are that using vsts without sighted assistance, and without saving user patches is basically impossible unless that vst is only an instrument, no parameters, or other user interfaces, which is almost never going to be the case. Since those two DAWS don't support external midi output like QWS, you won't be able to use the built in patches on your keyboard, unless you plug it's audio into a mixer and record it as an audio track, but then you lose the ability to quickly find patches, or edit your midi, because it's being recorded as audio. You will run into the same problems with reaper for mac, and Pro Tools. Speaking of Pro Tools, it is a little harder to learn, for users of VoiceOver, but your options of possibility increase a little more. You can edit VST parameters with VO in ProTools, which you can't do in Logic or GarageBand. So, the irrony here is that Mac OS, which is commonly thought of as the creator's OS of choice isn't really the best option for a blind person who wants to be as independant as possible.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-06-17 19:08:28

You could use reaper for creating audio -- just generic sounds like audio dramas and such. I've never fully figured out exactly how to do that in a multitrack editor like Reaper, but that's probably because I'm so used to Gold Wave.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-06-17 19:13:44

At post 1,

I have tried Cuebase, not accessible.

2018-06-17 21:29:03 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2018-06-17 21:34:03)

missinformation warning:
quote:
if you have a keyboard, such as a Roland FA, for example, and want to use it's patches in your projects, you will also need quick winndows sequencer, as you can use it to control what patch is used, then record it's audio to reaper.
end quote

not only  is this an unnecessary set up, (reaper supports midi directly) you can control external instruments from reaper and record the audio from just that same program, not to mention that midi cc control numbers are already labelled for you, and there are many more instrument banks available for reaper so no need to go into the manuals looking for which number was the marimba sound again, or what controller  is the one that usually sends the sustain on or off message. Besides, what would you do when you have to sync times if you are using audio and midi simultaneously? More information is found here.
https://reaperaccessibility.com/index.p … sing_osara

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-06-19 13:38:51

Reaper is the go to DAW, although Sonar X3 has accessibility through the use of an expansion plugin that I helped with a while back, I don't really have as much accessibility as Reaper, plus the price tag is much better and the accessibility is far more in depth.   

I'd say go with Reaper and there are resources to help you find out what other software, that works with Reaper, is accessible as well.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-06-19 15:53:36

HI! Reaper is absolutely your Windows Choice. There's a lot of things you could do with it. There are also good tutorials to learn this fantastic daw. And remember: you have to install three extensions: OSARA, SWS and Reapack. You.ll have definitely a great DAW. It's not free, remember; but you can try it as much as you want.

Claudio

2018-06-19 19:05:10

@13, reapack? I've never had to install that plugin, and a friend of mine, who's also a musician, does not have that plugin so far as I know.

My Github

2018-06-19 23:34:29

I never heard of Reapack...

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-06-20 18:50:11

I have never seen anyone mention it before to.

2018-06-21 07:48:00 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2018-06-21 07:49:19)

ReaPack is a package manager for Reaper, in simple words.
Also, back to my problem, my MIDI data was not made with any MIDI keyboard or synthesizer, it was done by simply typing commands using other program. VSTs that use samples are those that have problems (Yamaha S-YXG50, Sound Canvas VA, etc).
I can confirm that it only happens with that type of VST, but with VST that generate sounds or are based on synthesizers that do not use samples (ReaSynth, MS20, VL-1, etc.) do not have that kind of problems. I tested my MIDI data with VST MIDI Driver, and there were no problems, so it's the DAW. I've read many forums about this problem, and I have not found any solution. But I think I'm fine without a DAW. I have many music software to play with.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2018-06-22 06:39:06

if only reapers can be accessed by NVDA screen reader users, what about entering the downloaded VST? can it be done independently?

2018-06-23 22:05:04

reaPack. Its a nice set of scripts and handy utilities many have contributed to reaper so it helps you manage all of these, install, uninstall, update, ETC.

@17
uh.... when yous aid:
I tested my MIDI data with VST MIDI Driver, and there were no problems, so it's the DAW.
end quote

vst midi driver has to go through some sort of DAW after all, no? or some player that of course sends  a stop message when you hit the pause button.
So the only situation I could think is that say, you have a melody playing back, and all of the notes get stuck even though they are supposed not to be.. and this happens in  reaper using only one kind of vst? but then other midi players do not have that issue?
how are they exactly getting stuck is the question.. sorry for not being so precise.

could you detail how you are making your midi files?

and, producing with a keyboard even if its a tiny one like the keystation mini is much more desirable to be honest. Also, if you are recording, you might want to make sure you get the latest osara, the latest reaper. Here is an e-mail that explains something that might have been contributing to the flaw:

Hi all,

I've just been made aware of a slight goof in the key map we submitted
to Jamie. If you use a MIDI sustain pedal, you might've noticed that
since the update, your sustain pedal plays silly buggers with the
action transport: record. This is because of an incorrect mapping that
went unnoticed during testing. I've knocked up a quick step by step
for how to fix this below if it's affecting you. Note that if you're
not using a sustain pedal, you don't need to worry about this.

1. Open Reaper, and hit F4 to go to the actions list.
2. Tab until you reach the "Find shortcut" button, hit Space on that,
then type the letter R.
3. Hit Tab twice more to bring focus to the "Transport: record" action
itself. If you're running the troublesome build, you'll hear your
screen reader say "MIDI chan 1 CC64" is one of the shortcuts that's
assigned, and that's what we're going to fix in the next step.
4. Tab once more to focus the list of assigned shortcuts. MIDI chan 1
CC64 (the sustain pedal) should be first in the list, so hit space to
select it.
5. Tab twice more to the "Delete" button, and hit Space on that.

Once that's done, close the actions list and stomp on your sustain
pedal. You should be back in business in as much as that nothing
undesired should happen.

And just to round this off, one more notification to let everyone know
that an update to fix the aforementioned goof is out thanks to a
speedy response from Jamie. Go grab the latest and greatest from
https://osara.reaperaccessibility.com/snapshots/

2018-06-23 22:17:04 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2018-11-07 22:56:17)

VST MIDI Driver uses VSTHost as the player.
I make MIDIs without a MIDI keyboard, because I'm not a keyboardist, but I've a 25-key MIDI keyboard. I only use music notation software for doing small things. Only happends with Reaper.
For example, when I'm playing something I've done with a VST like the S-YXG50 I get stuck notes in a certain part of the project, and I have to press F3 to make a temporary solution. Even when I render to a WAV file I get stuck notes, so I do not know what may be happening.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2018-06-24 04:33:57

i want to import vst that i have downloaded to reaper. how to do that?

2018-06-24 23:46:51

that is really weird indeed, @20 might be something with the ram or .. well, who knows... but might be worth investigating more.

and @21: place the .dll file you downloaded into a directory where you keep your vsts . Or you can make a new one and tell reaper to look into that folder via the preferences, under vst.