2018-06-19 11:01:15

Ello there yall.
I bought a latest raspberry pi model 3B+ with complete kit and I am trying to set it up now. (Very excited)
So is there any sign that indicates it is being  started when i plug it into the power? Also which os works the best with raspberry pi in your opinion. smile

Often we have no time for our friends, but all the time in the world for our enemies.

2018-06-19 12:25:13

Hi.
Welcome to the wonderful world that is Raspberry Pi Land! We hope you enjoy your stay here!
Seriously though, to get back to the topic at hand, you don't get any audible feedback when you plug it into power, so give it at least 5 or 10 seconds to boot up, though you may need to wait a little bit longer to boot up when you start it for the first time, though others may have a say in this too, depending on how they use theirs.
As for operating systems, there are tons out there. It all depends on what you want to use your Pi for. I primarily use mine to play retro games through RetroPie, a suite of software and tools that installs on top of an existing Raspbian installation, allowing you to set it up to play games from the Atari 2600 all the way to PlayStation 1, and to an extent PSP and Nintendo DS. It doesn't play nice with Orca or any other screen readers though.
Raspbian is the main operating system that you might want to tinker around with, though you could try something else too, there's a lot of resources out there regarding operating systems and accessibility, including the Raspberry Vi mailing list.

2018-06-19 14:33:21

Hi,

I usually like to use Minibian to experiment with stuff, since its the most lightweight solution and doesn't yet have anything installed except a bash and ssh and some basic tools. Its just about 100 Megs instead of the at least 1 GB raspbian uses from scratch and you can install everything you like afterwards yourself.
As #2 already said, you don't get any indicator when your Pi booted up, so the only way you'll be to find out probably is to connect the Pi to your local network and check your router, it will probably inform you about any connected device and will of course show the RasPi as well as soon as its booted up.
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2018-06-19 15:43:11

@FamilyMario
I'd love to hear more about your experiences with RetroPie. I've always thought about trying it out, but I never got around to it. (I just figured that it wasn't accessible enough to get anything out of it) Any games you like to play specifically? How was the set up process?

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2018-06-20 18:14:20 (edited by FamilyMario 2018-06-20 18:15:12)

Hi.
@gamedude The installation was a piece of cake. I preread some articles and watched YouTube videos before I received my Pi 3 for Christmas, so I already knew what to expect and what to do, as I got mine in response to me not veing able to get the Super Nintendo Classic Edition/SNES Mini. The only accessibility thing I had to have help with was change the font size, since the Raspbian console stuff was in a too small of a font for me to read, so I changed it to one of the larger settings. This only affects the Raspbian settings, and not EmulationStation (the main launcher that RetroPie uses, since it's pretty much all graphics). Of course, you could also launch a ROM from the terminal too. I haven't done it, but it certainly can be done, and so might putting Orca on there. The only third-party stuff I installed was a script to play background music while in EmulationStation, plus a scraper known as Skyscraper. Scraping, in terms of ROMs, is where you pull metadata/tag info about the game from the Internet. Skyscraper allows me to, not only display the name of the game while selecting a game, but also display downloaded metadata related to the game, like publisher, release date, a brief description of the game, and, if I wanted to, box art and/or a small video preview (called a video snap) while the cursor is on a particular game, (e.g, a Super Mario Bros. video snap plays when the cursor is highlighted on Super Mario Bros, showing a clip of gameplay). As for controlling the Raspberry Pi, I use a Bluetooth controller called the NES30, made by a company called 8bitdo, though other controllers are supported through USB or Bluetooth, like the PS3/PS4/Xbox 360 controller, even the Wii U Pro controller is supported. I hear the Nintendo Switch JoyCon/Pro Controller works too, though I don't have none of those, but you could just use a keyboard to control everything too. I don't really have any particular favorite games I put on mine, I just put some classics I remember or have played in the past, but only on systems that I know will run great on a non-overclocked Raspberry Pi 3, except for Nintendo 64 which I didn't put on mine, for two reasons. One, my NES30 doesn't have enough buttons for N64, and two, N64 is known to be a hit or miss on the Raspberry Pi. If I wanted to play N64, I'd have to invest in more powerful hardware and a different controller.

2018-06-21 06:12:55

Thank you guys for replying.
I have several more questions though.
Would orca work with the sound capabilities that raspberry pi can provide? I mean do i need  extra device such as sound card to work with orca or any other tts on raspberry pi.
Also I heard that ubuntu arm or any other bigger os usually slows it down by large margin due to its ram capabilities. So which of lighter images would let me install orca or the others without giving me hard time? smile
Have you ever used ssh to connect with your raspberry pi from windows computer? If yes, which ssh client is most accessible for windows with nvda.
That would be for now, i think. (wink)

Often we have no time for our friends, but all the time in the world for our enemies.

2018-06-21 11:38:06

I use my pi from ssh all the time, so I cannot comment about orca, but I have heard that the output jack on the board combines the audio and video signal together, so the sound can be quite noisy. I myself use teraterm, but if you use windows 10 you already have ssh client installed. I think it came with this years April update. You can use it from the command prompt. Like: ssh pi@<ip-address>