2018-06-14 02:18:39

And in the previous version of the SoundFont, it sounds how it should be, when I open it with Polyphone.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU
SAY! - Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Dec 4, 1992 prototype)

2018-06-14 21:18:09

I wish this soundfont could be compatible with general midi

pika-san, a pokemon fan! skype: luigimax127
Discord: luigimax127#5490
Pokemon show down username: pika127

2018-06-14 22:00:57

The presets are sorted as they come on the original keyboard.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2018-06-14 22:06:48 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2018-06-14 22:08:18)

This keyboard has few presets, some are just variations of it, and using the same sample as a base but with different ADSR settings, or even the base sample is used 2 times and the second sample is added some detune to obtain a chorus effect. The other thing that is done is to use samples combined with others. Therefore, this keyboard has very few presets, insufficient for General MIDI compatibility, unless a creative soul makes other presets using the same samples but it would still be the same thing.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2018-06-15 17:51:25

hay dekyo, do you think it would be possible to do a casio sw10, gz50m, or csm1 soundfont? these were Casio's attempts to break into the PC music market, which was dominated by Roland's sound canvas. the sw10 was a software synthesiser that was fully gm compatible and used some of the same samples as some of the later ctk keyboards, while the gz50m was a midi module on par with the sc55 in terms of both quality by gm compatibility. the csm10 is mostly on par with the mt800 in terms of samples, and may or may not be gm compatible in terms of the patch set. I can't comfirm that since casio's sound modules gained little exposure in the US, which is ironic for a company's best known products in the US are their keyboards.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2018-06-15 22:56:00 (edited by musicalman 2018-06-15 23:10:42)

I was thinking about making a soundfont of the SW10, but two issues arise:
First, the SBPCI sound card installed on my Windows 98 VM outputs at 22KHZ, which removes brightness from the sound. This is especially evident on things like drums. Even though the original samples aren't super high quality, they would benefit from using a higher sampling rate, but I don't think I can attain that, unless there are other drivers I should try or some virtual hardware settings I should be adjusting.
Second, even if I get past that problem, the SW10 uses a lot of layered sounds which I could not find separate layers for. Especially in a lot of synth pads, there are sometimes two sounds playing at once which I can't find in a separated state, so it would be impossible to sample them accurately. I'd have to use a sort of brute force sampling approach where I make long loops of single notes rendered by the synthesizer. I'd like to avoid this if possible.
I do have other synths in mind though, not from Casio unfortunately since I haven't had much Casio experience. Roland and Yamaha were the main companies I was familiar with growing up, with Korg and especially Casio being less on my radar, though I am still interested in their sounds.
I recently purchased a Korg X5DR module from EBay and I really like it. It's an old entry-level GM sound module from 1995, though it does have interchangeable banks of non-GM sounds too which are really what make it interesting. It still uses a lot of their high-end technologies which existed at the time, so it still has a lot of awesome vintage sounds and samples. You can create your own patches too and access the individual waveforms. This is pretty rare for a synth in that price range, but it is something that will make sampling easier, because I can start from an initial patch and scroll through the waveforms and record clean separated samples, without envelopes or effects!
I was also thinking of sampling the Roland SC55. Sadly I don't have the module, but I do have the Sound Canvas VA VST which is an accurate emulation of the SC8820, and it contains SC55 sounds. Some of its parameters and sounds aren't accurate to the real SC55, but most of them are close enough, and I plan to fix some of those inaccuracies by referencing midis recorded from a real SC55 from this site. I also haven't seen too much layering going on, and with some work I can probably minimize the filters and envelopes and the like, so I should be able to get mostly clean samples.
For the record, I've started on sampling these synths but haven't gotten very far. It's something I plan to do more, but when that actually will happen is hard to say lol.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2018-06-15 23:55:20 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2018-06-16 01:21:45)

I do not have an SW-10, and the information I know about it is very little.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2018-06-16 00:43:15

The SW10 is a software synth which installs as a Win 9x driver, so you'll need Windows 95 or 98 to use it, I think ME will work too. The installer is in Japanese but it is not hard to install. A VM will work, which I imagine is what most people will be using, but you'll get a lot of lag, and with the SBPCI drivers I have, you'll be restricted to a 22K sampling rate. I'm not sure if there are other sound drivers that will work better, but those are the only ones I've tried, in fact they came with the VM which I got from Jake Gross's web site.

The download link for the SW10 that I originally used seems to be down, but I was able to get it before it died, and kept the setup file around. If you're interested I will give you a link to it.

Also a benefit of using the SBPCI drivers is that you get an emulated SBPCI synth which has some pretty nice samples in it. In fact the different wave sets (2mb, 4mb and 8mb) are still available on Sound Blaster's web site but I don't remember where you have to go at the moment. These wave sets are not .sf2 files, but are rather .ecw files. There's an exerimental utility to convert .ecw to .sf2 but I haven't tried it. The only .ecw files I am aware of are the wave sets I mentioned; it didn't become popular and was soon replaced by Creative's sound font standard.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2018-06-16 00:54:22

I'd love an x5 soundfont myself.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2018-06-16 01:24:53

Wow, awesome obscure piece of software! I don't have a Win 9x, so I can't install it. I do not think my PC supports a VMuare and those things.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2018-06-16 02:40:58

@musicalman, Can you sent me the installer?
I know I will not be able to run it anyway, but I am curious, and these things also interest me.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2018-06-16 21:29:15

So I am seeing this post and I downloaded the Songs to check them out. But I have a couple of questions. One is "How can I download this font because I tried hitting the link and I didn't see a download button or something. I just saw the link to get the songs." And the other is: "How can I use the different sound fonts? How do I put them to use?"

Sincerely:
John Follis
Check out my YouTube Channel.

2018-06-28 20:50:42 (edited by Dekyo-NEC2608 2018-06-28 20:51:34)

A small update. Simply fix a few looped samples and preset 46, the original has a little attack.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU

2018-06-30 06:19:08

I would assume you load the sf2 into a midi plugin, either bassmidi vsti, coolsoft virtual midi synth, or this omni midi virtual midi synth replacement thing. Then you would load the MIDI files into a sequencing program, either a DAW if you're using bassmidi vsti, or something like quick windows sequencer, pick the port, and play.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.