2018-06-13 23:20:24 (edited by defender 2018-06-13 23:23:41)

Do you think I could figure out how to get a debugger set up with no coding knowledge?
I'm running Win 7 X64 with NVDA 2018.1.

Okay but many of those sites have everything covered under the same license or they only have a small handful licenses for uploaders to choose from when submitting audio.
And if the sounds aren't accessible by a website visitor than I can't see it being a problem, your not hosting for users to download, your using an automated backend service to deliver the files, and I believe that allot of steam based games do it this way as well for instance.
But yeah the sites where that isn't true... Pain in the ass especially when you need to link to the license for each sound, even with categorization, so I get you their, thankfully I think the only ones on my list that do that would be a couple of the music ones.
I know that searching can be time consuming, but packs like Sonniss aren't common, so it's really your only good option. With most of the sites I've given you, you aren't going to get more than a few tens of results anyway, as long as your keyword isn't extremely vague.
I'll look for what free packs I do know of though, and with the music sites, a few offer full catalog downloads, but for a price.

2018-06-14 00:46:35 (edited by john 2018-06-14 00:50:30)

Defender:
You may be able to launch a debugger, but from my experiments, you'd need a rock solid understanding of assembly in order to make anything of it.
That's why I'm asking for external input; getting this info is going to take a pretty advanced hacker. I'd suspect some of our advanced developers (Aprone, Munawar, etc) would be able to do it since they've spent years working on software, but short a professional I've no clue how to go about getting the kind of data we'd need to try and fix the issue.

The sounds are accessible for anyone to download. All you need to do is reconstruct the links, which is trivially easy, since the game offers you the ability to save all commands used during installation and updates.
For instance:
https://nightvista.net/theWastesPack/fi … 0coins.ogg
Its long, but its valid.

As a side note: that one's self-made, but the concept applies equally to all.

2018-06-14 03:08:15 (edited by blindndangerous 2018-06-14 03:08:59)

I can't get this to happen consistently, but I'll be playing, then it will receive a shutdown signal and close the command window, and their goes my game. Quite annoying when I'm actually on a good run.  Also, if their's a bug in saving when in the start of an area, is their a good time to save? Also, does the dev care about this anymore? So he could fix it and impliment the load game function?

2018-06-14 15:42:23

The source for the game was lost, so there is no way to implement saving.
What do you mean by shutdown signal? Do you get the error saying the core game has crashed?

I suspect that the only way to make any sourcecode changes would be to have somebody whose vastly more familiar with debuggers and c++ than I decompile the game somehow. I'm not even sure if this is possible or not, though, and it very well may already have been tried (the original developer spent a lot of effort trying to recover the code).

2018-06-15 02:21:56

I see the issue now John, is their no way what so ever to do this another way that is less open then? honestly even just packaging the sounds with a download that has the game as well would even bypass that I think...

2018-06-15 04:10:51 (edited by john 2018-06-15 04:49:45)

I believe I may have begun to narrow down a possibility for the crash bug.
Specifically, the game just crashed when trying to generate the contents of a crate. Thus, I'm leaning more strongly towards a damaged line in one of the item files, somewhere.
I will be attempting to work up something to scan the files for basic sanity violations, and maybe, just maybe, we can put this thing to rest.
If you're bored and want to help, feel free to look through the files in the core/items folder. If you notice any lines (there can't be many broken or the game would crash more) that look different than others in the same file, please post them here. This includes blank lines. There shouldn't be any.

Defender:
A single large zip folder was one of the options I considered when planning out how to distribute this thing. Unfortunately, its not as simple as extract and run. Every file has to go in exactly the right place, or the whole house of cards collapses. Its possible for a technically capable (or just extremely detail orientated) user to get everything where it needs to be, but its not easy. If you asked me to reconstruct this system from scratch without studying the install script, it would take days.
I've written up some of the details on the pack's technical notes page, so if you're curious about why I've done things the way I have, give that a look, and feel free to drop me a line on the contact page if you want info on aspects not covered in the notes.

2018-06-15 05:38:57

Update: I've reviewed a couple files, and corrected a couple dozen typos. Additionally, I've changed a few lines that ended with periods, since this was inconsistent with the rest of them. I'm sincerely hoping that this may actually do something to resolve the crash bug.
To help me determine the chances of success on this, has anyone found either a whistle or bucket while using the pack?

2018-06-15 19:50:07

Yes, I have, but I don't think it crashed it. I could be wrong though, it's been a bit since I found it.  I also found that reddit post where he said he'd lost the code right after I had posted that first post here.

2018-06-20 18:43:51

Thanks to Huw's sending me the specifications for some of the item generation files, I believe I have now fixed the core crash bug. An update will be available shortly; I'll post here when its ready.

2018-06-20 19:07:37

The update to version 4 is now available.
In addition to the crash fix, this update fixes a lot of typos, makes the pack handle some numbers a bit better, and adds a new patch command to grab the latest plugin at any time.
If you still get crashes after updating, please shoot me an email via
https://nightvista.net/contact.php
and let me know what was happening when the game crashed. Now that the type of bug has been tracked down conclusively, it should be at least a little easier to resolve any of them we find in the future.

With documentation for more of the item files, I'm considering developing additional modding guides, and maybe even an online content submission process. If you'd like to see this, please say so. Its not exactly a small project, so I'm probably only going to work on it if there's substantial user interest.

The pack is almost certainly stable enough now for general public release. Please do share it with anybody you think would enjoy it, and if anyone here has a reddit account, it'd be awesome if you could post to r/thewastes.

2018-06-20 20:41:04 (edited by john 2018-06-21 00:55:30)

Unfortunately I have just run across another crash bug while in a snowglobe factory.
I'll investigate this and see if it can be resolved.

Update: after forcing a whole bunch of snowglobe generations, I have been unable to duplicate this. I'm honestly not sure what's going on. On the plus side, I am almost entirely certain that one crash bug has been resolved, so at the very least, you should run into less core crashes.
My next goal is to review the misc conditions file, and see if anything there looks broken, since the snowglobes themselves appear functional.

2018-06-22 17:46:47

Not just slowglobe factories are bugged, i think all of them. The game has crashed when i went to a toy one as well.

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2018-06-24 03:56:37

That may be the case. I can remember having some issues with specific factories even running the game normally.
I do believe that at least one crash bug truly has been fixed with the recent changes, but we may end up being stuck with a couple others.

2020-05-05 01:20:39

Can someone tell me if this still works. ever time i try to install the plugin and try to update it i get a scripting error.

Who am I? Simply me!

2020-05-14 22:10:36

I must be honest, I was willing to try it but i am also getting script errors. eventually the sound starts playing, but nothing happens

There's a place for me in this universe.

2021-08-20 19:44:48

At long last, I have returned to raise this thread from it's unquiet grave with news of an update.
After a bunch of debugging, I believe I've finally fixed the audio-related errors folks were encountering, both during initial installation and afterward when opening the world. The changelog has more specifics, and is worth a read. My apologies to all the people who had partially or fully broken installations, especially since it took so long for them to be fixed.
If you already have the pack set up, all you need do is type update, wait for it to complete, and then close and reopen the client. If not or if you'd like to start fresh, take a look at https://nightvista.net/theWastesPack for full instructions.
There are several other modifications and fixes included in this release as well - type changes to get the full list.

2021-08-22 02:53:30

conection refused. failled to connect to 127.0.0.1,port 3000. error code 10061

once upon a time, a beautiful little girl who wore a beautiful red hood.  while she was passing through a forest, she was killed by Captain America.  The end...

2021-08-22 05:17:06

Is the game running (type startup)?

2021-08-24 18:14:00

I've fixed a scripting error being displayed at the end of each area. To update, just type patch, and reload the client or plugin.
Anybody who has not yet updated to release 5 will get this fix automatically when you do so.

2021-12-29 22:22:26

sorry i'm reliving this topic,but i really wanted to play this game but i'm getting the following error when i finish creating the base world for the game. Unable to connect to "the wastes", code = 10061 (Connection refused. Error occurred during phase: Connecting to world: 127.0.0.1, port 3000. my connection is enabled,it is strange.

once upon a time, a beautiful little girl who wore a beautiful red hood.  while she was passing through a forest, she was killed by Captain America.  The end...

2021-12-30 16:45:52

where i can find host and port to the vastes. on page can't find.

2021-12-30 18:29:47

localhost port 3000

2021-12-31 13:06:43

if i try launch vastes on vipmud with no soundpack and enter localhost 3000 its service name is invalid. Or you connection is establishet. that same is in telnet.

2021-12-31 13:21:48

man, look at the page first.  this is not a mud.  and this is to be played on mushclient.

2021-12-31 20:10:59

ehh. man. You are slowly thinking or what? i say only when try write in vipmud to try if vastes work! ehh. And you please for help. Yeach. people is as a hearthstone blizzard spell.