[wow], cool. It's great to see that development is going on for this game constantly, especially after a Long time we heared nothing about it. A Suggestion: Depending on the Areas and such, it would be cool to even get allis wich help you in battles or other Tasks. Maybe you even can form a Party wich Comes with you.
It would be cool to have Kind of mini stories as well. And different types of quests, some could tell stories of revenge etc. Maybe even some quests wich are connected like a quest chain. I heared that exist in Mainstream games, so I thought I suggest it here.
Appologies i was silend for a long period, but i am very busy at the moment with work etc. To mention a sentince dark used years ago in his smugglers 3 podcast:
"life and things getting in the way, wich is Always bad, yes, that's why i Always advocate to remove them as quickly as possible muhahahaha!"
I don't know if parties will make it in the game, but will add it anyhow to the list. Can be interesting in certain quests the quest master helps you with certain things.
But we have laid the fundaments for quest chains, below will follow some spoilers, where you can test wich fundaments are present:
When you fulfill the quest for the bartender and the woodsman, a second npc will appear wich will give you a quest as well.e
But with new quests of the 1st npc, we only have to tweak the code a little, so a single quest master also can grand you more then one quest. To give a little heads up, there will be a single quest master in castlevania, wich will let you start quests, but you'll have to get more info or fulfill them at the npc's the quest is for
As said, programming is going rather slowly right now, cause i am busy with work, but also getting training sessions from the RPGLink family so my days are very filled up, but i will continue as much as i can.
Hi, I have downloaded the game but can't start the game. This is for windows, yes?
have to say got the game downloaded and can finally play it. Mostly just been fishing so far but really loving it for what I've seen.
Do you get a error message when you try to start the game? There is a version for windows, wich is the default one, and a version for the mac.
I am glad you finally are able to play the game, and am also very glad you like for what the game is now. If you have any suggestions, bugs etc, please let me know.
How do you get to castlevania? Or is it not in yet.
Castlevania is not yet in the game, we are currently still designing, constructing and building it. I think the area is for 25% done, but i can be mistaken cause i am not terribly good at percentages
But as said earlier, development is a bit slowed down, cause i am a bit busy at work, getting training sessions from the rpglink family
But i am working on the project as much as i can.
84 (edited by pelantas 2018-05-30 22:09:19)
another few fixes in our local copy:
1. startted to correct the word grane, with grain, i have to give the script a final look, then the spelling error is corrected. So no harvesting of women anymore then, yes, dark, i am looking to you my friend
2. the word healty is corrected, now it is healthy
3. A introductory message for fishing will be presented when you talk with the grumpy old fihserman for the first time. After the first time, an option is available to get his instructions again. Written the text to lay the focus on the fact it is a rather inpatient character.
4. added the relevant information for the explanation from the fisherman to the save and load scripts, so the game will remember if you already talked with this jerk for the first time.
5. increased the range for getting fishing experience from 1 to 4, to 2 to 5. So you'll get between 2 and 5 fishing exp now. Plus, when trying to reel in a fish, and when your attempt is unsuccesful, you'll get a single point none the less.
Let me make a promise to you, to put my ass back to this project some more, and fix, update, tweak and solve more frequent, cause you deserve a good game. and when i don't work on it, cause i am busy, or work less on it, you won't get what you deserve, and on what i promise.
Appologies it was quiet for a few weeks. But i am slowly working down the list with things to do, before continueing on castlevania again.
a second point worth noting:
- started working to gather the music together to a single controller, instead of multiple controllers controlling the music of the different areas. This will allow me to code an option to pause the area's music. Possibly no global hotkey, i think a single option in the various menu's. Right now, almost 600 lines are done.
Still loving the game, so this isn't a big deal but a couple things I would recommend.
1. limit the locations of highwaymen encounters, it is weird to have it happen in the sewers and so it breaks the atmosphere, please romove it from there or other inappropriate zones.
2. the highwaymen should give you an option to fight them if you don't want to pay. However, make it a tough fight to make sure that a lot of players will pay anyway.
3. Some of the music doesn't loop well. If you are in combat for example for a long time the song will come to an end with a definite stop and gap in the music before starting again. A slight cutting on the beginning and end will allow for a more seamless song for that and possibly other musical effects.
4. was thinking of another option to make combat more interesting an dynamic. Instead of simply blocking every attack made against you, sometimes you should have to dodge instead. For example if an evil wizard was shooting lightning at you, it makes more sense to dodge. This would make the fighting less mindless. Perhapps a feint and parry set of options for combat might also make things better.
But still loving the game, just some thoughts I had.
I am glad you still love the game Thanks for sharing your thoughts as well, my awnsers, there they go:
1. I noted down to drastically change the random events, they will be area specific. As said, these were noted down already, and will be changed in the next update
2. i noted down the option to attack the highway men, thanks.
3. i am talking with koma right now, i forwarded the suggestion already, she thinks she can edit it to solve this.
4. i will add dodging to the combat system, this will be a move based on luck, when you dodge successfully, you'll get a few free hits, should it fail, you'll get hurt a little harder then the enemy's standard damage. The combat engine was a real nightmare to code, i admit, but dodging can be done pretty easely.
I finished converting all different channels wich controlled the different musics for the different area's. Right now there only is a single channel left, wich controls all music of the different areas. I started building in a way players can change the volume of the music. The standard configure speech method on the character information screen, is now replaced by an options one. Here the adjustments for the music and the configuration for your screenreader can be done. I have to research if the same can be done for the main menu. or that changes will be needed. Tomorrow i will start on building the option to silence the background music. and an option to unsilend it. Problems probably still exist, but we will hammer them out when we discover them. Stay tuned
Note: this changes are in our versions of the codebase.
after days of reworking designs for the music settings, i finally can tell taht the changes look pretty promising. In the complete game, except the main menu, the music can be silenced. If people also want the music for the main menu included as well, so the music of the main menu will be silenced as well, just let me know. But right now, the main menu will still play it's music.
The games music, will be silenced after you load your game as well, so the setting will be saved. As said, adjusting volumes is possible now as well.
I think we will start to work on the random events from tomorrow.
A few other additions and fixes:
Note, i am still looking for suggestions for random events, so when you have a few cool ideas, throw them out to me.
1. discovered a few bugs in the new sound system. Just solved them, other bugs can still exist.
2. made a few changes to the harvesting system. Right now, at the two harvesting spots, a single harvestable can be found, when you reach harvest level 2, you will discover a second harvestable.
3. added the mushroom harvestable to the grainfields of dalgrim.
4. created two new recipes, the mushroom soup and the redberry cake.
5. added the mushroom soup and the redberry cake to the cooking, inventory and they're eatable.
6. added the mushroom, mushroom soup and the redberry cake to the general store of castlevania, so these can be sold there now. Of course, when the add-on gets released and people have it.
7. devided the 80 rooms we have now in various area's, so the new random_events system can present random events in the correct area's, if there are no events available for a certain area, no random event will be given.
8. The random events, wich are in the current release, will now only be shown in the dalgrim grainfields area.
9. created two new random events, wich only will show up in the sewers.
10. fixed the clash between the sounds of the random events, and the worlds music.
I haven't forgot about the suggestion to make the highwaymen fightable, don't worrie, i have to look on how to implement this, and when they got the hell beaten out of them, they won't show up anymore.
11. The new mushrooms, mushroom soup and redberry cakes are getting saved and loaded.
12. With the new sound system, the worlds music will be silenced, the music for the main menu, the combat music, both of them, and the music after a fight will still play. Cause those musics are more important. But as dark suggested, was it dark? I thought so at least, the music can be silenced while harvesting or exploring the world. But the other sounds will still be playing.
13. I tested the harvesting with the music silenced, after i activated the standard sapi again, and i was browsing the internet while my character was harvesting, every so often my sapi told me the results, while my nvda was telling me what was on the internet page, i only can conclude, this does work, but we'll see when this patch/update gets published.
So, this were the updates from the past two days, or, the ones i can remember at least
hay Mike this is sounding good, and yes, it was indeed me who asked about the music silencing while harvesting so that you can indeed do as you did and go and do something else while your character works.
I am loving the idea of the quests and extra harvestables etc and of the random encounters change I think the update will be a lot of fun.
Okay, here are a few suggestions for random encounters, note that I don't currently know what larger areas you have the game divided into so I am just going to have to guess.
Streets of dalgrim:
1: Pickpocket, someone steals some gold from you.
2: litter happening in autumn or winter, there is a high wind and goes everywhere this could result in you finding a random item uncovered by the litter.
3: Stop thief, someone tries to pick your pocket but you catch them at it and point them out to the constable, they drop some gold as they're dragged away which you pic up.
4: Alchemist, a traveling alchemist asks you to try a random potion they've been working on. Could result in either A, a bad tasting potion where you get nothing, B, A healing potion where your healed (and also given the potion as a reward), C, a harmful potion that makes you sick and costs some hp, or D, a delicious potion which the alchemist then immediately sells the recipe of to the in and gives you some gold.
5: Bad cook, a woman runs into you in a great hurry, she's burned the meal she was cooking and asks to buy a loaf of bread from you because the inn was out, results in selling a loaf of bread and gaining more gold as a result.
Note I don't have any beggar events in Dalgrim since I always got the impression dalgrim was a comparatively nice city, so things like giving food to starving children or refugees should probably be reserved for say out on the road.
1: IN a haystack, you find something in a haystack. It could either be a quantety of a given harvestable, say a cart of grain that got missed by a farmer, or a stranger item, EG you find a fish in a haystack and wonder how it got there.
2: Bee sting, you get stung by a bee and lose some health (ahppens in spring and summer).
3: cold, it gets very cold and the snow makes you lose some health (ahppens in winter). This could also occur in other outdoor areas as well such as the woods or beach.
4: Rain, it rains and the water spoils some of your food, again, this is an event which could happen in any outdoor location. Theoretically you could include some ways of negating these weather events, EG by buying or tailoring some warm clothing and stout containers such as backpacks, but even if this doesn't make it into the game it would be nice to have some acknolidgement that wandering into the wilderness isn't easy.
5: Robbed survivor: You meet someone who's been attacked by robbers and have to choose to take them back to Dalgrim city (get paid as a result), or give them som some food and let them go on their own, perhaps this gives you some xp.
6: Old scarecrow, you encounter an old scarecrow in the fields that is magical. This could go several ways depending upon how wild the grain fields are, but hay its a fantasy kingdom with sentient pieces of toilet paper, so why not a sentient scarecrow? Either it could be a friendly scarecrow who tells you about how to harvest and gives you some xp, or it could be an evil scarecrow who attacks you leading to either a fight or just loss of some health.
1: attack. Hay its a forest, and a forest in a fantasy kingdom what's more so presumably there are lots of nasty beasties around, from evil crows, to giant wolves, to potentially even a goblin or two.
2: Tree herd, you meet an ent ala treebierd. Again this coul.d go various ways depending upon how evil you thought the ent could be, if it were it could give you some nuts or berries or maybe even some dead fall wood, if evil it could attack you or do you some damage.
3: Fairy, this could be either evil or good, or possibly random, fairies traditionally being quite capricious.
4: Lost child, a child has got lost in the woods, you could take them back to Dalgrim for some experience.
5: ranger, you meet an old ranger who gives you some tips about surviving in the forest, gain some xp.
6: Wizard, you encounter an apprentice wizard who has come out into the woods to gather herbs and practice magic. she asks to try transforming one of your items, lose one thing and gain one other thing.
1: Beach comber: You find a chest of supplies washed up from a shipwreck.
2: Shipwrecked sailor, again various ways this could go, perhaps the surviver of a shipwreck who you could help out to get some xp or cash, or maybe a pirate who attacks you (since pirates are cool!).
3: Mermaid, rather like the fairies this could have random magical effects since mermaids are again quite capricious.
Okay there are some suggestions, obviously when you expand the game with more crafting and more items it'd be possible to have different things, for example when you have craftable items in the game you could find an axe stuck in the tree in the forest and pull it out with enough strength, or if your in the fields you could find an old scythe blade that you could then put a handle on (scythes traditionally broke a lot when used for harvesting).
Same goes for weather, clothing as I said.
either way I look forward to the update and seeing where this one goes with more quests, more craftables and generally more of everything, has the potential to be lots of fun I think.
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)
[wow], lots of nice suggestions for random events man, thanks a lot, I am sure several will be coded in. For example the lost child, and the robbed survivor, this can be two randomly generated quests. But to prevent it to be to easy, they only will show up in a certain area or area's
I don't know if the random findings event will do in the hayshack in castlevania? the hayshack will also play another role in the castlevania area. But i won't spoil to much But if people like it when i try to figure out to find random stuff in there as well, it can be done.
I am a bit in a hurry, so i will quick note down wich updates are done yesterday:
1. Expanded the castlevania world. with a few extra rooms.
2. coded the harvesting system in the castlevania area. Here can raisins, sugarbeets and apples be harvested and picked. Two of these will also make it into the free game. But don't know where or when yet.
3. Removed the option for the harvesting knife. Cause as it is now, the harvesting knife is only required by harvesting grain ... Not very useful given the current course. Am still thinking of ways to replace it, and not only for just one replacement
4. added two new recipes, the apple pie mix, and the apple pie, these will be for castlevania.
5. harvesting is unlocked for level 2 in castlevania.
6. a small question guys, i discovered that the music while enabled stops playing when you are harvesting, is this a huge problem? i don't think you'll be sitting around watching the harvest flow in idly are you? Am very curious about this, just lemme know
7. the harvesting woman in the grain fields now only speaks to you, She won't ask you to buy a harvesting knife anymore.
This is what i can remember on top of my head. I will await further replies.
sounds good and you like some event suggestions.
Just a couple of points.
Firstly, to be technical grain is harvested using a scythe or sickle, this is a long blade on a handle used for cutting stalks and it does make sense that your character would need one. You might well use a knife for prying up mushrooms, though fruits and buries are something you could pick on your own, however for all of these you would need a container, traditionally a collecting basket to put them in.
So, as a generally necessary item for harvesting I'd suggest a collecting basket, while I'd make a knife or a scythe an item used for collecting each resource individually.
You could explain this in game, like perhaps the harvesting woman lends you a blunt old scythe to cut the grain with, but later on when more crafting is added you could get the opportunity to make a scythe for yourself which increases grain harvesting.
As far as music goes I don't think having the music stop while harvesting is an issue, indeed it might be nice then to get the stings for random events just to let you know something has happened while your off doing something else.
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)
Thanks a lot for your feedback. Also the suggestion of the harvesting woman lending you a blund old scythe is a valuable one. I am at my day job now, but i can add the collecting basket to the dalgrims general store when i get home. I agree on the point that certain items would be required. About the harvesting knife, i think i will add that one to the shop as well, but this could change, don't teach me to know how i am
The stings for random events will remain active and will play, no matter if the music is disabled via the settings or remains enabled.
I will send you a pm btw dark. I want to discuss something with you privately.
Thanks a lot.
hi, I really like the game
Its not as fast paced as other fighting games, which is good, and it has a lot of things you can do like the harvesting and cooking which I always like. However I found a few things:
1. Increasing my level did not yield much effective results at all. For example fishing seemed actually harder and harder as I went over time.
2. it would be nice to have some kind of buffer or thing that would have allowed you to repeat the last 5 events, sometimes speech got interrupted and I had no idea as to what had just happened.
other than that, can't wait for the add on!
I am very glad you like the game. But to your points of attention, i hopefully have an awnser/solution/question:
1. There are no real effects you can have by leveling up your skills yet. When crafting gets introduced i am considering effects for tools. For example, when you craft a certain fishing rod, it will grand bonusses to successfully land the fish for example, or as dark suggested above, a scyte wich grands bonusses as well. I am thinking of increasing the grain. Right now, you'll get 1 grain, but lets say, when you have a bronze scyte, you'll get 1.2 grain. Wich seems not much, but when it piles up, it will pile up faster, then when you just receive 1 grain per harvest. For example, after 5 succesful harvests, you'll have 5 grain with the dull scythe, but 6 with the bronze one.
2. When messages aren't fully read, try to set the speech delay in the speech settings and see if that will work. But keep in mind, the delay will be set accoording to the current rate of your speech, should you wish to increase or decrease the rate, you should set the speech delay again.
Hello a couple ideas for random events
1. sewers: rush of diseased rats: either you lose some health or you have to fight several rats in succession without a break, basically something like 2-4 rat fights with no break between them one after another.
2. Fields: a runaway horse or bull hits the character: or when things go well the player catches the animal and they get a reward of either some gold or a cheap item.
beach: Spent too long in the sun and lose energy or health due to heat exhaustion, though items should be able to prevent this.
forest or grain fields: you get a tick and you lose 2 energy for energy tasks instead of the normal rate until you get rid of it somehow.
forest: step into a hunter's trap. lose some health.
forest: come upon where a squirrel or something has been hoarding things and get some harvestables right away.
log pile: you come where a woodcutter has already cut down several trees and you can just take some logs. On a bad version you might get caught trying to take some and you have ot pay money for them.
Dolgrim: you come upon a salesman who sells you something for a reduced price, a bad version is the guy is a con artist and you just waste money buying nothing.
Just a few ideas. Still liking the game but have done most stuff that's in the game right now.
1. Cool, I think that unlocking bigger objects can also make you stay focused.
2. I had set the speech delay but there were cases during which I had interrupted speech by accident and just had no clue what just happened. Also, the random events are nice but sometimes they just get announced too slowly. Like you really have to wait to see what happened as you are playing.