2018-05-31 19:33:55 (edited by Ethin 2018-05-31 19:34:44)

Hate to say it (kidding) but Ironcross has a point. The only true and tried method of getting a virus on a phone is through Bluetooth low energy (BLE). Unfortunately an attacker has to be physically close to you (within 10 meters or so) for that to work. And visiting random sites can't give your phone viruses. Not on Android. Possibly on iOS but not Android.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-05-31 20:11:37

That is actually not true. What about apps getting administrative access to the device and doing whatever they want? Yes, you have to give them that access yourself, but you have to visit a website yourself too, download an app too and install it, so it does not make a difference. The only thing a virus can do with root which it cannot without it is mess up your system files, make your phone not be able to boot, remove default system apps and so on. Other than that, it can perfectly fine send random text messages, uninstall and install apps, perform a factory reset and many other things.

2018-05-31 20:45:22

It is slow, very, very slow, I get new apps without knowing it, I see them on the home screen, some with weird caracters, so, I am afraid to open them, it heats like crazy when you unlock it and for example, check a message.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-05-31 21:39:40

@28, your message assumes that someone will fall for that. The phone will give people plenty of warnings -- if not outright prevent them from installing it -- from non-authorized google play sources without the user of the phone explicitly allowing the installation.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-05-31 21:59:13

Well I don't think a lot of old people would know that, just reformat your phone and don't let her touch it anymore and you should be good to go.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-05-31 22:31:12

Android gives you so many warnings if you go ahead anyway, its your own fault since you're assuming the risk / responsibility.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-05-31 22:34:11

Well, in my opinion it is your fault on any OS. If you leave UAC on Windows enabled, then you will be able to allow and block programs on Windows too. Plus, so many warnings assume we are only talking about this tipe of malware I mentioned here. As long as you enable installing apps outside of playstore and there are several legit good reasons for doing that, this situation is entirely possible. One thing which is true though, as long as you don't have root a reformat will indeed get rid of everything. Anyways, sorry for going OT but just wanted to clarify this with viruses.

2018-05-31 22:58:12

Well, you just made me thinking and I talked with her.
She said she is granting all the permisions because she thinks they are inofensive.
Sure, I can reformat but, what about my family, classmates pictures?
I think I have over 2000 pictures on there and they are good memories.
I do not have a backup solution at the moment because I can not get talkback to work on it, not even voice assistant.
And Shotgunshel, I gave it to her because of these things and slow updates from Samsung, so, I got myself a Nokia 3.
Sorry to go offtopik, but I was not sure if I should start a topik to discuss this thing, so, let me know if you want to continue this discussion, it seems interesting, atleast for me.

2018-05-31 23:11:48

I would try to get my own phone, I realize it may be difficult, but yeah, sharing one with family, never good.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-05-31 23:16:43

This nokia is my own, but I do not have alot of my own money, so, I can not aford a better one.
My mother gave me this s7 a year and some months ago and she said, this is yours, but please let her stay on facebook and talk on whatsapp.
I was like, ok, but only facebook and whatsapp, but she openned links on facebook, discovered Chrome and she started to look for thinks, not with a bad intention, but yeah.

2018-06-01 00:12:09

@Angel, it's generally seen as rude to hijack another thread no matter how unintentional, and since OP was telling us about his awesome anti-scammer channel I think it's best to leave this thread on that discussion only and ask about your broken phone in a new thread. OP has done a great job on his channel and I'd hate to see it get buried by an unintentional thread hijack.

2018-06-01 14:07:16

I like "Lewis's Tech" my self...
https://www.youtube.com/user/LewissTech/videos

"The Hoax Hotel" is also pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnNlJN … Pug/videos

And one that I found out about from the off topic room, "Jolly Roger Telephone Co"
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3OxCW … m9Q/videos

2018-06-01 17:36:55

"Just give me your account details so I can send you some money and you can go buy beer or something." *click*
You know you're getting somewhere when...

2018-06-01 18:34:52

Yeah, I can send you my account details, I'll hop right on that! Oh and BTW, I think the punishment would be severe if I, someone who's fresh out of high school, tried to buy a beer.

TWITCH

2018-06-03 14:05:15

So, since this is about scambaiting, I thought I'd share this on how to go about doing it effectively, @shotgunshell, I'm curious to know what you use and if this would be helpful in any way.
I want to test it out myself once I have substantial free time again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPijbixEeYA

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2018-06-03 22:02:48

@bcs993 Personally, I use Skype.

TWITCH

2018-06-04 19:37:23

Well, after getting sigted assistance, I finaly got the number from one of my call scamers.
I am not sure if it was a human or a robot, so, do not blame me if it is just a robot.
+88184810519

2018-06-05 04:58:40

Hmm, for some reason it's not working. They may have disconnected their phones, scammers don't last very long because so many people mess with them.

TWITCH

2018-06-05 17:28:46

Probably, this is just some days old, but it can be right for sure.

2018-06-10 04:35:02

Hey guys. I just came on to inform you all that I am officially declaring war against the scammers. They're choosing not to evolve from the basic IRS/Tech/Bitcoin scam, while we're continuously evolving. Now, it's time to give them something neither you nor they will expect. However, I need you guys to do me a favor. I need you to send me every scammer recording you possibly can, even if it isn't good. I'll explain what we're doing when the time comes, just know that it's going to be very exciting. Go nuts.

TWITCH

2018-06-10 13:51:11

Well, so, it is the time to start recording all my calls.

2018-06-10 20:10:55

Oh and I forgot to mention, I'm sorry guys but the scammer calls will have to be in English. We don't know any other language.

TWITCH

2018-06-14 22:25:32

This person streaming now, trolling scammers: https://www.twitch.tv/kitboga

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-18 12:45:25

Omg I hadn't laughed this hard for quite a while now.. But like someone said earlier, I think you have a talent to do some voice acting or read audiobooks.

Often we have no time for our friends, but all the time in the world for our enemies.

2018-06-18 13:16:03

hi
I'll check this out soon
i love these types of channels