2018-06-10 21:12:21

So I was recommended to this cashback app called Dosh. It isn't a rewards app you may be familiar with, unless you have similar offerings from a loyalty program. This simply gives you a percentage of cashback for any time your card is used, which at first may not seem like a lot, but it adds up. Money goes straight to your paypal when you decide to transfer it. Signup with this link and install it on your phone.
https://link.dosh.cash/MZznthLFAN

2018-06-11 01:41:18

Yeah, my neighbors use this and it apparently works, so I can second this. My problem with it though is that it requires you to verify yourself for two factor verification with your phone number, and it can't be a VoIP number, so I can't sign up at all. I have to wait until I get SSI and start earning enough money.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-06-11 04:39:07

Just a warning for anyone using the referral link, you do need to click the link on your phone, not your computer. There is no signup page on the computer whatsoever, so you'll have to install the app on mobile anyway.

2018-06-13 03:05:07

I've always wondered why it forces you to have a phone and a cellular plan. That's quite restrictive, don't you think? I wonder if that's because if they included everyone, not just people with cell phones and data, they'd be spending more than they're earning. Yes, they do earn money. They earn it all through ads, which makes me wonder how they manage to stay afloat. Ads don't pay that much, at least I don't think they do. I could be very wrong though; I don't look into that stuff.

TWITCH

2018-06-13 03:27:42

Hello.

Just so people know, this app is not available in the UK.

I'm gone for real :)

2018-06-13 03:28:32

Well affiliate marketing actually could get you far if done right, and apparently they must be. As for the phone, that's standard practice for 2FA. But a separate argument altogether, is that it's funny that they still use texting for 2FA anyway. People do realize how easy phone numbers can be intercepted, right? T-mobile flaw, I'm looking at you, you were recently fixed. Why the hell aren't we using hardware tokens? We really should be. I'm telling you, Ilok could be so far ahead of its time if they branched out to more than just licensing. It could be an authorization token for your online accounts. If only they allowed you to use any old flash drive with it though, but I doubt that has anything to do with anti-competitiveness. They encryption straight on the device must require a custom firmware. But what about mainstream methods? Software Passport/Armadillo had hardware token ability using native Windows USB api's. But I digress. The point is that hardware tokens could and should be used a lot more than they are now. Then again, companies get your phone number through 2FA, so they can sell your soul and spam you with ads, right? Right.

2018-06-13 03:30:01

Brad, I had a feeling it wouldn't be available in the UK. One, it's a new-ish app. And two, a lot of the businesses they affiliate with are mostly US-based anyway, so unless they broadened and made more affiliations I'm not sure if there's anything doable beyond that. Sorry international folks. Remember though, use that referral link on your actual phone and not the computer, apparently that's how it has to work.

2018-06-14 01:37:10

I googled around for this app and have seen a lot of people saying this is legit.

One thing I don't understand and hope you can clear up: suppose I register for this app and give them my card number. Next time I buy something, do I need to use the app to do it? Or is that once I charge my card at said location, I'll get something back?

For example, suppose I register with the app, and there's a deal on Amazon. Does the app give me a code, or do I charge my card normally like I do already at Amazon and I'll get cash back?

2018-06-14 02:43:40

From the sound of it, you just charge your card normally. That would probably explain why they explicitly ask for a card and wouldn't allow, say, a paypal account. As for why you have to click the referral link on the phone, I would venture to guess they toss a cookie on your phone that registers the fact that there has indeed been a referral.

2018-06-14 07:25:13

The fact that you are able to charge your card normally puts this app near the top of my suspect list, primarily because it makes me curious how they know your card has been charged. The only way is to either hack your bank account (unlikely scenario, but the only primary way) or hack your paypal.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-06-14 07:43:42

@Ethin I think you're just looking for flaws, and that you should. You would be wrong not to look for flaws in a thing like this, simply because it sounds too good to be true. However, I've heard nothing but good reviews about it so far from people all round, not just on the internet. If there were anything to worry about, by now the service would probably be failing because people would be submitting bad reviews and fraud protection claims left and right. Plus, I think this is something the FBI would look into thoroughly to make sure nothing fishy is going on. I've never been able to set up the service, but I'm pretty sure you're fine.

TWITCH

2018-06-14 13:26:59

@10: With other services, the service receives a log in token and that data is read-only. I haven't signed up for this service yet so don't know how exactly you register your card with them, but if they're viewing charges to your card, it's not necessarily that you got "hacked." Banks provide this sort of API to these types of services all the time.

Having your card number only permits them to charge against your card; they can't see charges to your card. So I doubt they're "hacking" anything.

2018-06-14 14:32:23

You simply manually add your card.  So here's the confusing part. After you click my referral link on the phone, you'll get the page with no actual signup link, and just two unlabeled links under a heading to install the app. The first one is ios, the second is android. Click either of them, install the app, sign up, then add your card. You provide the same details you'd provide any paypal or similar ordering page.

2018-06-14 15:11:45 (edited by Munawar 2018-06-14 15:12:45)

@Jack, thanks for the clarification. I'll probably get around to trying this this weekend.

I've been looking around and it seems like (so far) that Dosh gets a token from the creditor themselves to track your account. Unfortunately, the app is still too new and I haven't been able to find a technical audit yet that I'm satisfied with (it's all simple terms for the every day person, mostly from Dosh themselves.) So I think until there's a real technical review and audit, I might stay away. Dosh swears they don't store your credit card information and they follow bank-grade security, blah blah blah bullshit. Yeah, it has great reviews but IMO that doesn't mean much, it could just mean that everyone is oblivious to how the app actually works, and the fact that no one's been scammed yet is helping them.

Still, the stuff people are saying is rather tempting. I already get great rewards on my cards but a little extra won't hurt. I'm only not sure if I'm willing to take the risk (with only Dosh's reassurances) just to make a little bit more.

2018-06-14 16:16:47

I agree with Munawar. Until this thing gets a technical audit (or a professional security audit) I just can't trust it with something so sensitive like my credit card info. I dunno, whenever I get onto the subject of who and who can't trust data like this I get quite paranoid. And for good reason too. smile

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-06-14 19:37:55

@Munawar @Ethin Wouldn't the FBI or similar companies/organizations/whatever have already looked into this? Dosh has been around for at least a year now, you'd think they're already being looked into.

TWITCH

2018-06-14 19:54:38

If the FBI was efficient in catching this sort of thing, they would've caught all the scams of this kind while they were at it. Long story short they have bigger fish to fry. False affiliation though is a pretty serious violation, so the fact that they are actually affiliating with all these establishments does look promising as an app of this kind would probably surely be taken down for false claims if such were the case.

2018-06-14 20:32:14

@shotgunshell I wouldn't be so faithful in the system. Remember: we still have pyramid schemes like Amway floating around, and they've been around for who knows how long? When it comes to an audit, the entity I really don't trust to do it is the government.

2018-06-14 23:22:53

@18, considering how long the government takes to do [anything].... well, if they're doing the audit you'll be waiting 5 plus years.

My Github

2018-06-15 00:44:20

@Ethin exactly. And it'll get passed around from department to department and in the end solve nothing. xD

2018-06-15 01:21:02

@20 rofl.

My Github

2018-06-15 03:11:26

In the end they'll be close, so close, bug no cigar! Lol