2018-06-13 06:43:00

Hi everyone,
A few hours ago I had to force shut down my computer because explorer froze and I had no way of restarting it properly. When I restarted, Chicken Nugget said there was an error and erased my account. So, I tried re-adding my account, but when I hit the add existing account button, it popped up a brief dialog telling me to please authorize the app using the browser window which was just opened. No browser window was opened though. I reinstalled Chicken Nugget but that didn't help.

I then tried The Qube 0.9.1, and TW Blue 0.9.3, both freshly downloaded, and got similar results there too. With the Qube, it reports that there was a problem creating the access token. And with TW Blue, it just sits there and says waiting for authorization. I tried this on my laptop too and with no success, so something is really weird with Twitter.

Can anyone confirm this? What is Twitter up to now lol

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2018-06-13 11:00:59

regarding the qube, you need to get that hotfix thingy, don't have the link, it's on the dev's twitter time line. you may want to try open tween, and or try deleting your chicken nugget, and TW blue folders from your appdata folder. good luck!

2018-06-13 11:26:54

Unfortunately, no dice with removing TWBlue and Nugget app data folders. also, a friend of mine has confirmed this issue on his computer with nugget, so it's definitely a Twitter thing. It's happened with three computers now.

What is this Qube hotfix you speak of?

I did hear from someone else that Twitter changed something about their token authorization. Not sure what's going on, but he told me that only the latest versions of TWBlue work. I downloaded a snapshot, and that didn't work, so whatever happened must've been recent. Anyway he is going to build the latest code from source, and we'll see what happens.

2018-06-13 13:35:58

that really is weird. I've been using snapshots for weeks, if not months, and mine wasn't affected. before running the snapshot, did you wipe out the appdata things? apparently the 0.91 or whatever the latest in the qube is, on certain 64 bit windows, has issues obtaining a token. so the dev released a hotfix, which I tried to find the link for, but I can't find his time line, and I don't follow him. on a possibly related note, the braille sense twitter client just died as well. if I find out the guy's twitter ID, I can give you the qube hot fix, but no clues if it works. I had to reauthorise openTween this morning, though, because of an update that just got dropped, so I know for a fact that the tween works. you may wanna use that till you figure out what's wrong with nugget and TW.

2018-06-13 18:45:37 (edited by musicalman 2018-06-13 18:48:03)

I found the Qube 0.9.2 hotfix but that doesn't help, but Open Tween does work, sometimes. It frequently gives me "failed to update status" errors when sending DMs. Restarting the program fixes it, but I've had to restart it twice in less than half an hour so I am not liking this. Also, I wish it didn't send me notifications, I prefer just to hear sounds when I get a new reply or dm or whatever. Not sure if Open Tween can do that.

I did some more research and found out that Twitter changed the way that a valid authorization token is retrieved. This change only took place yesterday, funny enough. I read about it on the Twitter dev account but I didn't understand what it was talking about. Supposedly this has been something they've planned to do for a while, but most of the windowless clients haven't updated to support it so they can't authorize new tokens, but I think old ones still work which is why some people don't have a problem. It's only when trying to authorize a new account with an app that doesn't support the new token system when problems occur.

The person who was trying to build the TWBlue snapshot for me is having problems doing so, so I don't think that's going to pan out. So my plan is to wait for the next official snapshot from the web site, and cross my fingers that it'll just work.

2018-06-13 19:06:07

and openTween updated today, so that explains why you can authorise. while I'm not sure of the sounds, (apparently copying it in the folder, then assigning works) I haven't went deep into it, but you can disable pop up alerts under the file menu. weirdly, my openTween is more stable than my TW blue.