2018-06-12 22:58:12

From the latest article on Steam Knowledge Base:

Starting on January 1 2019, Steam will officially stop supporting the Windows XP and Windows Vista operating systems. This means that after that date the Steam Client will no longer run on those versions of Windows. In order to continue running Steam and any games or other products purchased through Steam, users will need to update to a more recent version of Windows.
The newest features in Steam rely on an embedded version of Google Chrome, which no longer functions on older versions of Windows. In addition, future versions of Steam will require Windows feature and security updates only present in Windows 7 and above.
For the remainder of 2018 Steam will continue to run and to launch games on Windows XP and Windows Vista, but other functionality in Steam will be somewhat limited. For example, new features such as the new Steam Chat will not be available. We encourage all users on these operating systems to upgrade to newer versions of Windows in order to have ongoing access to the latest features of Steam, and to ensure future access to all games and other Steam content.

What are your thoughts?

2018-06-13 00:01:09

About time, IMO.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-06-13 00:35:23

I'd say about friggin time since maintaining legacy code is a lot of work and those people can be reassigned to do other stuff, plus, having legacy code in your software is just more crap to gunk up the works and make it run slower.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-13 05:29:18

Chrome? Now that brings some thought, could they possibly go full electron/uwp if they just remove that damn legacy code? As for dropping xp, I'm surprised they waited this long.

2018-06-13 08:25:44 (edited by cj89 2018-06-13 08:26:13)

Thoughts? Lets just say I had no idea it was even still a thing on XP. That's actually pretty damn amazing, a solid 15 year run. Just when I didn't think anything was still possibly supporting XP...

2018-06-13 14:06:33

Could we possibly be receiving a more accessible steam in the future if it's embedded with Chrome?

2018-06-13 17:27:27

Now if only later versions of WIndows could have had the overall stability that XP had but without the security holes. As for Steam I tried to sign up not too long ago since I wanted to get the You Don't Know Jack games, but unfortunately I ran into a Captcha with no audio option. Then again the YDKJ games probably wouldn't have run on Windows 10 since if I'm not mistaken they were only updated as far as Windows 7. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2018-06-13 21:13:37

It's about time, heck Windows 7 itself will be 10 years old next year. But honestly, until Valve decide to support the VIP community by making Steam fully accessible out of the box, I don't really care what they do because I for one will not patronize them.

2018-06-13 22:06:11

If they stick to embedded Chrome, I'm actually pretty confident that it will be accessible. Now if they could replace that damn captcha with an audio one...as for You don't know Jack, Liam plays that and he uses windows 10, so who knows? Steam, unrelated to all the problems surrounding them, does have a refund option if a game is unplayable and you haven't played a set number of hours. Can't speak for third party marketplaces though, should you decide to buy from one of those.

2018-06-13 22:18:53

I'm pretty sure You Don't Know Jack along with like... one other game in that Jackbox Party Pack is playable so you could get that if you really wanted to.

2018-06-13 23:02:00

The Jack games are actually fairly playable for the most part. Only the Jack Attack and Three-way questions are really inaccessible.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!