2018-06-12 02:45:55

Hi all,
For anyone's who's used this thing, since I've been using this computer for a couple years at this point, figured it couldn't hurt to do it. I'm just wondering though, what can I expect once I start it?
Specifically, do I have to interact with it in any way? Or do I just plug the thing in and leave it to do it's work. How long should I wait before I start feeling concern? tongue And does windows handle reinstalling drivers on it's own afterward?
Any clarification would be great.
Thanks.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-06-12 04:42:22

Just go through the steps, etc. It will tell you when it has to restart, no external media is required. It will do its thing, give it oh, hell I don't know, a while, Cortana will probably start yapping at you at some point as she's part of the installer now. When that happens, you can hit control windows enter to start narrator and complete the install. Yes, drivers are automatically installed.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-12 06:42:15

Oh cool, good to know at least I'll get some sort of feedback to know that it didn't explode and I can turn on narrator. Now just have to back up the important stuff, just in case.
Thanks.

2018-06-12 08:58:23

to add to post number2. i've whent through many of them.
if you running a pc with a normal hardrive in it. be prepared to wait for at least 1 hour or more. if, you have a super slow pc with a pussy core CPU.
if, how ever, you have a pc with more then 4 cores. or that is fairly new. your times will very.
their is alot that windows takes in to account when refreshing your system,
each system will and can take longer then the next.
how ever it might just be quicker then the next.

once windows has told you it wil restart to do the reset. do not interrupt it. at all. at some point your drive will stop spinning and you can then try to bring up narrator. just remember, patience, is key here. and yup. a  nice good old backup is exactly what the doctor ordered.

for comparison sake.
on my laptop with a sd in it and a not to bad CPU, it resets in less then 15 minutes.

There's a place for me in this universe.

2018-06-12 11:24:39

also, you can enable narrator throughout the entire reset process, useful if the reset gets stuck for whatever reason. just press control-windows-enter whenever you feel like it, and chances are it will work.

2018-06-12 11:58:41

another handy tip, the less files on the drive, the quicker the refresh will go. for example, having 1 tb of stuff while refreshing system, in comparison to just sixty gigs of data. wil see the system with the leest amount of stuff on it, going way quicker then the one with the 1 tb of data. so in short. move all non esensual goodies far away. and refresh times will increase.

There's a place for me in this universe.

2018-06-12 16:57:56 (edited by Shadowcat 2018-06-12 17:26:26)

Thanks all for the tips. Just have to wait for a new USB cable for my external, cable that came with it somehow picked up some rust, so don't wanna use that thing in case something horrible happens.
Although one thing I am wondering about... will it touch my actual app data? EG: Steam. I'm assuming the answer is yes, but if it was no, I'd hate to have to deal with steam putting game saves all over the place, only to find out that it was in fact not affected. lol I do know though that I'll have to reinstall all my programs myself.

2018-06-12 18:22:25

yes it will wipe the drive clean. The second option is like a shredder mode where it will overwrite, that's why it will take a lot longer, but you don't need that.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-12 23:44:19

You can also choose to keep your user account and just reinstall windows, but all your programs will still be erased. Remove everything if you don't care about your user account, and only use to wipe the drive clean if you're selling or giving it away.

2018-06-13 00:26:25

Yeah, the basic one is what I'm doing. Basically just doing it to try to fix any under the hood issues that might've popped up over the years, because I don't know nearly enough about maintenance to just do it and move on.