2017-06-27 17:43:12

I posted a topic about this on Reddit a while back, but I figured I might as well post it here as well with the hopes that someone might jump on my idea.

I don't know how much of this is possi9ble, and it will require a lot of time and effort, in addition, it can only6 be done by someone with some vision.

I fooled around with fan made pokemon games a while back and realized that if you have access to the rpg maker project file you can modify and change a lot of aspects of the game.  I think it might be possible to make these games accessible, if not fully, to a large extent. 

A lot of these games are already complete and contain up to generation 6 and sometimes 7 of pokemon.  They have an identical layout to that of the GBA/NDS versions of the game.  They are mapped with tiles.  That means that if you have access to the games files you can add triggers to the tiles which would make it possible to add sound triggers/loops to individual tiles.  By using sound you can implement a system similar to that of Manamon where a sound would get louder if you approach a person, wall, chest etc.

Once could also add sound triggers to conversations.  So if you pre-record dialogue with TTS you can simply trigger it when having a conversation.  The same thing can be done with menus, pokemon and moves.

The only thing I have not figured out yet is the numbers.  Things like HP and stats will be hard to figure out.

I have only modded visuals myself, but I am sure someone with a bit of development background can figure this out.  These games are very high quality, some of them, arguably, surpass the originals.  They allow for online play and trading in he majority of the cases.

If anyone reading this wants an example they should google the pokecommunity custom games forum.  If you want specific games to look at I suggest looking at Pokemon Insurgence to see how good a game can become, and Pokemon Metal for a game that has all its resources made available including all the in-game text, stats, encounters etc.

It may also be worth mentioning that the creators of these games all make use of Pokemon Essentials, which is a asset and resource package for RPG maker.  They include all the pokemon's stats, moves, menus, sounds etc. so a lot of effort is saved on adding raw data if someone wants to start a project from scratch.

Also, if anyone reading this is interested in a guide on how to make a high contrast version of these games, if you have low vision, I can do that for you.  I coloured all the grass black except tall grass, I changed all the text boxes and menus to show white text on black backgrounds, I changed the HP bars to make it easier to see your current HP as well as the Pokemon's name by adding darker backgrounds and I added black backgrounds to the summary screen to make it easier to see stats and even the pokemon sprites.

2017-07-06 18:16:01

where to get pokemon esentials?

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2017-07-06 20:55:36

You can download the essentials pack from the pokemon essentials wiki page:
http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Downloads

Just follow the instructions on the page to get the newest version with the generation VI updates.  Also note that this is an add-on pack for RPG maker, so you will need RPG maker to use it.

The Wiki also has tutorials on how to use it, there are also plenty of tutorials on youtube if you are having a hard time.  Although I think the youtube tutorials will probably only help sighted developers. 

If you have any trouble with RPG maker let me know and I will point you to the right place to ask for help.

2017-07-06 21:05:12

I have no idea how to write scripts, but I have seen folks use other API's with RPG Maker.  I don't know how implementing an external API in RPG maker might work, but perhaps it might be possible to use the NVDA API to read the things that cannot have actual sounds connected to them.

I have no idea what I am talking about though.  I am just putting words together that might make sense to someone that actually knows how programming works.

2017-07-13 05:14:46

Hi Tensoon, have you tried to contact any developer of this game? In this way we can have more accessible Pokemon. And with sensibilization we can tell who develope rpg creator to make their program accessible.

2017-07-13 12:23:34

I have not tried contacting the developer of any of the custom games.  I was bargaining on someone around here knowing enough to figure out how to make my idea work.  I will try it though, but since all of these projects are usually one man projects I don't see the developers helping us out much.  As for RPG maker, from what I can tell these games are made in rather old versions of RPG maker.  I am not even sure if the application is still being updated and if Pokemon essentials even work with the newer versions.  If the application is no longer being updated there is also a very slim chance of the developer of the engine including screen reader support.

One thing I have seen though, on the pokecommunity forum they have recruitment pages for teams that want to work on new fan games.  I will look around there and maybe ask for help if someone is willing to participate in a joint effort.  I have played around with RPG maker myself and I can say that the scripting interface is completely accessible with NVDA, it is just the mapping that is an issue.  If someone from pokecommunity is willing to do the mapping it might make things a lot easier on a blind dev.  I have not tried mapping myself though.  I will check this out after work today and post an update here if I find out anything.  RPG maker is also a retail software, so I can't expect any blind developers to test its accessibility.  I am just not sure if I can fully test it since I don't know exactly how all of this works, but I will do my best.  Thank you for taking an interest in my idea. 

Just another afterthought of something I will test.  I am sure the dialogue and tile sounds will work, meaning that if you apply a system similar to manamon the game will be navigable, I am going to check if Cloud OCR can help read stats, then that will not be an issue either since it is not like anyone will read their pokemon summaries more than 500 times a day, nor will they level up 500 times a day, so it can be used well within the free versions limits.  I get frustrated by how long it takes to use Cloud OCR, but if you only use it once every now and then it will not diminish from the experience too much.

2017-07-13 12:52:56

Just out of curiosity what game development platforms are accessible to blind developers.  I don't mean languages her, like python or whatever, I mean development tools specifically created to make games with.  I saw that someone started a project similar to pokemon essentials in Game Maker Studio, and I was just wondering if anyone knows if that is accessible?

2017-07-13 13:32:00

Before actually checking out whether rpg maker is accessible I figured it would be a good idea to get an idea of the engine's limitations first.  Sound will be everything here, and if it is going to take 15 years just to make one game work it will not be worth it.  In order to do this I posted a topic on the pokemon rpg maker sub reddit.  Feel free to check it out: https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonRMXP/co … the_blind/

2017-07-13 17:51:03

I checked out RPG maker.  From the looks of things this will be very hard to use if you do not have some vision left.  All the menus work with NVDA, but you need to use the mouse to draw the maps and place the event markers and NVDA does not read any coordinates or tile selections.  It will at least be necessary to know then you need to switch between tile types so that you can make some of them passable and others not.  I will try to think of something for blind devs though.

2017-07-13 19:10:12

Okay, I figure I shall weigh in a little here. Yes, I've used RPG Maker before. Actually, I have it on my system. It's pretty much as you say, the menus are fine, but the mapping stuff is... well... not accessible. As far as of scripting, it's a modified version of ruby. That would be what I recommend you to learn if you're going to write scripts for RPG Maker. What version are you running? I currently am running VX Ace. Oh, and about other accessible systems. Well, there really aren't any. This is indeed the biggest problem with videogame development in this community, honestly. We need better tools. Right now, we've got BGT (Blastbay Game Toolkit.) It's okay, but it has its flaws. People are trying to make an effort with Unity, though.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2017-07-13 19:41:23

I have RPG maker XP since that is the one pokemon essentials was created for.  Well, when I say I have it I mean that a friend has it But he can see and he does not know how to use it at all.  I also did not want to buy it until I was sure that I could actually use it.  I was intending on making an accessible pokemon game before my eyes became too poor to do the mapping, but my eyes went downhill fast, so I hardly even tried. 

I think I might still be able to do a bit in RPG maker, but I will not be able to learn the language and complete the game before it becomes too hard.  I also still don't know if the whole sound assisted navigation thing is even possible in RPG maker.  I am sure it is possible, but it might not be practical.

Well, if the application is inaccessible and there are no sighted developers who want to try this I guess there is not much more I can do.  It would have been cool though.

2018-06-12 17:50:54

Hi there!

I know it's late to come to this topic, but I'd be realy, realy interested to have a guide to make this games highly contrasted, since I've a low vision left... Infortunately I can't help with the accessibility, I'm everything but a developper lol...
Anyway, it would be great if you could make this guide, I could try those games.

Thanks in advance, and have a good day!

Best regards

2020-06-30 15:01:31

hi.
Sorry for bringing this back, but is RPG maker free?
If it is can I get a download link to the most accessible version?

My discord: the_real_amethyst
Join my accessible Pokémon discord server

2020-06-30 15:57:01

@Gamulation, A previous post stated that RPG Maker was retail, so while there might be a free trial, you won't be able to reap all  the benefits.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2020-06-30 17:34:29

ok. I have gotten the program, I got rpg maker xp, sence that was the program most of the pokemon games was made using. I am using the trile. I have not figgerd out how to get past the first notice pupop box, but I will give that some more trys

2020-06-30 18:07:52

Ok, I have pokemon esensials loaded, but how do I edit stuff, they have a test map and some events, but I can not do anything with them

2020-06-30 20:19:47

hmm. try sarcing on guides for it. Dunno naything about the maker big_smile

You see a signature that is 800 characters and 8 lines long. You quickly report it to the administrators

2020-06-30 21:19:08

You can't. This thread already says that.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992