2018-06-11 21:04:56

So I've been thinking about using the Zoom H4N as an interface just to use the on-board mics as a quick option for acoustic guitar, but can't get it to work with ASIO. If I just plug it in, it automatically installs drivers and works fine as a basic soundcard for windows. But if I try to use it in Reaper or Sonar, I have to set the audio system to WASAPI, and the quality sucks. If I install the ASIO driver from the Zoom site, I get a compatibility error about unsigned drivers, and in device manager there's a message that reads: windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device (Code 52). And as long as the Zoom ASIO driver is installed, not only does it not work with my DAWs, it no longer even shows up under playback devices in the windows control panel. So Zoom's ASIO driver renders it completely useless even as a basic soundcard. I've spoken to Zoom support, and the response thus far doesn't fill me with confidence. A bit of searching the web brought up a result that suggested going to gpedit and setting code signing for device drivers to ignore, but it didn't help, I still got the compatibility message. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2018-06-12 09:28:54

their is a way to hard force windows from actually bitching about the driver. the only issue is. i've tried it once. and it, um, heh heh. caused a beautiful boot loop. hell it was not even required to boot up the pc, but obviously it decided to get loaded as it booted. so yep. carefull with forcing that unsigned options there.
its defenatley dooable though. it costed me to do a reinstall of windows. since booting with last known config, did not boot. safe mode did not boot. only option I had was to reinstall.
good luck with your journey there. my advice is to create a restore  point just before ya mess with those options though.

There's a place for me in this universe.

2018-06-12 11:22:44

but can you use a restore point without being booted into windows? my 7 didn't appreciate that idea.

2018-06-12 12:01:22

oh yes you can certainly do so. it is possible. but i do not like that idea. because its a hit or miss, with no chance of easely going back. it has worked a few times for me. but, if i can at all help it, i prefer to make a system image backup before, i mess with serious stuff that will and can mess up the system. system restore has its nice purks. but ay, I love to play it safe

There's a place for me in this universe.

2018-06-12 12:40:57

fucking 64bit windows, more trouble than it's worth. nothing I've tried has worked so far. Zoom suggested ASIO for all, and to my surprise it looked like it might work, but it didn't. sometimes you get the feeling someone up there just doesn't want you to go down a certain road. everything works fine on 32.

2018-06-12 20:37:32

never used 32 bit in years. post 4, how do you get system restore to work without windows booting? my PE failed on me, and didn't have an image at the time. I do now, but for future reference, it would be nice to know how I'd go about doing it.

2018-06-12 23:38:56

It's Win 7 64. From what Zoom are saying, it'd be fine on 8 or 10.

2018-06-14 18:02:04

Just to confirm for anyone who's interested, the Zoom seems to work fine as an ASIO interface on Win 10. Have yet to do any proper testing, but I didn't get any of the unsigned driver crap on installation, and was able to select it as an ASIO device in Reaper and play audio through it. I've been using the Zoom on my other laptop for recording some stuff in audacity, and I'm really impressed with the quality of those little mics. For voice over stuff and acoustic guitars I don't need anything better. It's so convenient.