2018-06-09 23:02:17

My Wallmart headphones died months ago, and I decided to buy the cheapest knock-off ones I could find on ebay, that resembled the ones I used to have.  I think I spent around $16.  As it turned out, the crappy new headphones sounded like garbage and had no sound panning ability.  Money well spent Aprone... money well spent.

So I've been living with those for the past few months, and finally they suddenly and without warning snapped in half.  Fell right off of my head with the right and left sides falling to my respective sides on the floor.  It was a fitting end.

So I was already mad at myself for going overly cheap and wasting $16, and now I have to start the search again to get some new headphones.  I now doubt myself when I walk past them at the store, because I don't want to end up with another terrible set, but also don't want to pay more than I have to.  It seems like now is the time for me to ask you guys, what headphones would you recommend?

I'm using a standard audio jack, not bluetooth (though I suppose I could).  I prefer over the ear as opposed to ear buds.  I'm also not wanting to spend more than $50 or $60.  Typing the $60 caused me physical pain just under my lowest left rib, but my wife (Jennifer) thinks I'm being too cheap by setting the cap at $50.  Any ideas?

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2018-06-09 23:32:35

Um, actually you can be cheap and get off good, I know this is gonna sound odd, but get the Amazon Basics. They don't sound too bad, they're sort of flat, but I call that good, because many will emphasize one aspect of the sound over others, like unnecessarily cranked bass and so forth. This is my second pair, and my first didn't last a year, but I'm really hard on headphones, like really hard, I even sleep with them on a lot. I've sat on them multiple times, etc. They even have a foam pad under the band to sort of hold them in place. The one complaint I have about the first ones doesn't seem to be present in these, that being the connector being prone to static noise when moved about. People on Amazon claim they sound like Beats in their reviews, having owned a pair of Beats, I can say they definitely do not, but they're better than I ever expected. I initially got them when I was low on money, as a stop gap measure when my old ones died. I was gonna save up to get some better ones, but I never did because these sound good enough for me in most cases.

As to the durability, I would say they would probably last a normal person 5 years. They also come with a drawstring bag to put them in.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-09 23:42:17

I'm seeing a lot of different headphones when I search for amazonbasics.  Which one are you referring to?

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-06-10 00:46:42

Here's a pic.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-10 01:12:12 (edited by Orko 2018-06-10 14:50:51)

These Sennheiser RS120 wireless headphones is what I've been using for the past couple of years and have been very happy with them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001 … &psc=1

While these are wireless, they are *not* Bluetooth so no latency problems. They are rechargeable, the recharging dock is also the transmitter. The rechargeable batteries are standard AA size so you can easily replace them when they wear out.

The only thing I could possibly wish for is an over the ear design instead of on the ear, but these are plenty comfortable, I've worn them for hours at a time while playing games.

The best part is no gawd dang wire to get in the way!

2018-06-10 01:59:33 (edited by Chris 2018-06-10 02:04:20)

If you don't mind spending around $60, the Miccus SR71 headphones are pretty decent.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetoo … B01GGKNYOQ
They have an over ear design and are very comfortable on my head. I have a small head so keep the adjustable headband at the smallest setting. They support Bluetooth 4.2 with the aptX low latency codec which is really nice if you have a compatible transmitter. They also support a 3.5 mm cable via the port on the right ear cup. The left ear houses the micro USB port for charging the battery if you wish to use Bluetooth. The battery life is pretty good on them as well. I've had mine last somewhere between 15-20 hours on a charge which is very nice for listening to audiobooks. The fact that the cable can be swapped out is a major plus. You can get a cord as long or short as desired. Finally, the battery isn't used when you use them in wired mode.

These are 100 times better than the crappy SoundTrax headsets I used to have. Who ever decided to use a single flimsy micro USB port for both charging and wired operation should be whacked on the head. I broke said port twice and gave up on the company. They were also more expensive than the Miccus ones and weren't as comfortable.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-06-10 04:41:31 (edited by Xvordan 2018-06-10 04:50:00)

I'm a cost cutter, so the PC310 at $32.89 is great! It sounds pretty darn good, and the USB microphone is among the best when it comes to headset microphones. It's light weight, and there's no bloody control box on the wire to get stuck on things, causing shortouts over time.

If you want a set of headphones without a microphone, I love the Monoprice headphones. They're $23.80, sound alright for the money, and they feature a detachable cable. For me, it's often the cable that goes bad, so having a standard 3.5mm jack in the headphones means you can replace the wire with any suitable cable should the ones that come with it break. They also fold up pretty nicely for travel.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2018-06-10 09:52:07

When in doubt go with Sennheiser. They have great audio panning ability and the frequency response is amazing.

Depending on if you want bluetooth or wired headphones the prices can get quite expensive, but it would be money well spent, I can guarantee that.

Ps: you can thank me later.

all's fare in love and war

2018-06-10 12:34:45

Slightly different price range, but I personally am happy with these:
https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Professi … 0MKII.html
I use them for both music production or just any kind of listening. Being semi-opened they don't cut out surrounding outside world, but give nicely spacious sound and don't make me tired even after almost whole day of use. Also work well on the bus. Some users say, the bass is overcranked, but I'm not sure of it being too much out of balance.

Previously I had these:
https://www.shure.com/americas/products … headphones
but wouldn't really recommend due to not really effective design, being quite tireing and in the end prone to breakage.

2018-06-10 13:48:23

Hi.
I like these headphones sent by Orko, they will probably fit my needs too.
But if you want to go wired, I have some Steel series headphones, they are damn good regarding sound, a 2 meter cable with 2 jacks, one for the headphones them selves and one for the retractable microphone, who is not good personaly on this pair.
I like amazon basics, they are kiap and good, I used to have something almost like them, but now, I broke the wire, cause I am going hard with my headsets.
I like some kiap sony ones too.
HTH.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-06-10 17:03:34

I've been using the AKG K92 for the past few months and have been very satisfied with them. They sound amazing for the price, and they're extremely comfortable even if you wear them for a long time like I tend to do. Plus, the price seems to be just right for your budget. I highly recommend these. Here's your obligatory Amazon link.

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
"Cause in a game of life or death, you either live, or you die."
"Wake the fuck up, samurai. We have a city to burn."

2018-06-10 17:07:03

Excellent responses!  I have a lot of headphones to look at it seems.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2018-06-10 20:19:14 (edited by defender 2018-06-10 20:23:18)

You really don't need to spend more than 40.00 USD for a decent pair of headphones if audio accuracy, long term comfort, or extreme listening pleasure aren't your make it or break it criteria, so I'd just narrow your options that way. Not that the suggestions I've seen aren't good ones mind you, but I think Ironcross and Kai's are probably the most useful for your situation.
Wireless headphones can be really freeing, but if you aren't constantly using them with a portable device that you could throw in your pocket, or doing strenuous activity with them on, than they aren't worth the trouble of batteries, pairing, and audio lag while playing games or watching movies.
It'd be good to know what you do most with your headphones, e.g. mixing audio, watching TV, reading audio books, gaming, listening to "X" genres of music, working out or doing manual labor while wearing them, ETC.
And what you find most important, physical comfort over time, hearing all the instruments in a song or all the other sound effects in a game properly, durability and longevity, ease of portability, a built in microphone, ETC.
Hence why many people have a home pair, (usually full sized) and a portable pair, (usually earbuds) because it's nearly impossible to have all those things at once.
Nice thing is that you can get a solid sounding (if not particularly durable) pair of Soni or Sennheiser buds for 15 to 30 bucks nearly anywhere in the western world! LOL.

2018-06-10 20:33:57

Hello.

I know this is a recommendation thread but I'm going to do the opposite and say don't buy the bose quiet comfort bluetooth headphones.

I like the sound, but the lag is horrible when using the bluetooth mode and when you go away from your computer and put your head a certain way, the headphones will lag. I phoned bose but all they said is they can give me a new pare of headphones and not a refund. I'm not happy with bose but they'll do for now.

I'm gone for real :)

2018-06-10 23:07:59

As for the lag, that is a problem with Bluetooth audio over all. I noticed that problem with all Bluetooth speakers I played with. What you basicly have happen is the source device incoding the audio into a  audio format that can be understood by most if not all Bluetooth speakers and the like. Then you have the Bluetooth speaker or headphones decode the signal and then play it back to the user. Oh yes, all of this has to happen on the fly. LOL. So, I suggest that you alwas go with wired headphones if you do not want the lag, or at least mostly. The bose headphones does come with a wire to plug in to the PC or what not. Using this wire should avoid the Bluetooth problem. Anyway, I currently use the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro for playing swamp and for listening to music off of my PC. I have heard good things about the AKGs a time or two, but I have not went and checked them out. The HD380pros that I am currently using, I have had for over three years or so now and they still work. Grant it, I do not seem to use headphones as much as others on here. So, take or leave it per say. LOL.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2018-06-11 16:46:05 (edited by brad 2018-06-11 16:50:24)

Hello.

@cw Thanks for the explanation.

I'm okay with the headphones without the wire. I use the wire when listening to some things but mostly use it without or just use the laptop speakers.

I'm gone for real :)

2018-06-11 19:24:55

Hello. I can attest to the amazon basics over ear headphones. They sound awesome and very comfortable. $15 well spent in my book.  https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Lig … headphones

2018-06-12 13:57:05

Because I like good audio quality and am not particularly hard on headphones, I tend to increase my price ceiling. Better to do that and spend a lot of money once, than to set it lower and potentially spend that money multiple times.

I have a Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 pair with a built-in mic that is actually quite good.
I have a PSB M4U2 which is awesome for travel, has its own little built-in amp, plus noise cancelling.
I used to have an AKG K545, and those are supremely comfortable for long periods. Ditto the Philips Fidelio X2, which are open-back though and a touch bass-heavy.

These are more audiophile-style cans, though. I'd probably never go much higher into this because 1. I don't have the money and 2. past a certain point, you really aren't paying for sound quality dollar for dollar anymore. I'd love to try a really good set of planar-magnetics one day though.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1