2018-03-03 20:39:52

Hi guys,

My name is Aaron Parsons. I've been working on an audio only games console with its own game development enviroment called the G D E. The project so far has recieved brilliant feedback and the G D E was even released for testing, people used it and liked it. the idea is for even non programers to be able to create their own games for the hand held console.

The prototype is nearly complete (although I did think this once before). and my focus now seems to be more towards creating some start up games for the Sonus to be released with. however i am finding that developing the sonus, continously making the G D E better and creating my own games is becoming a bit much for 1 person.

Ideally I would like to focus on developing the G D E and making sure the game console itself has no issues.

I was wondering if anyone would like to work with me and use the G D E to develop some games.
I won't lie, the G D E still has some bugs and needs further tweaks to ensure it is more user friendly, but I'm hoping i would be able to get more time to focus on making those tweaks.

There is an alpha version of the software avaialble for download on the www.sonusinteractive.co.uk website.

My email is [email protected]

I think this project has serious potential, and I would hate to see it fail I because I did it wrong by trying to take on the whole task alone

I'm open to discussion and feedback. thanks for listening.

2018-03-04 02:25:42 (edited by defender 2018-03-04 02:49:20)

I'm happy to help find music and sounds that you can use for free, even for commercial use (wonder if that counts if the game is free but the system isn't? maybe it does if it's the same person doing both...) and do a bit of sound design, though I'm nothing special and I don't produce music or know much about 8bit or midi generation.
Not much I know, I just really like this project even with the release of the GPD win, since that's much more expensive, hopefully you'll get more bites, maybe you could demo your prototype on cool blind tech, top tech tidbits, blind bargains podcast, the any audio network, black screen gaming, maybe ship Gortholon and Liam a prototype when you have at least two, ETC, an article in Audyssey, maybe even do a presentation at the CSUN, NFB or ACB conventions if your near by, and I'm surely missing some good podcasts and publications, so it would be best to ask the coordinators of those programs I mentioned for suggestions on others as well.
That could really spread the word...

2018-03-06 20:35:26

Hi.
Depending on some stuff, mainly what language is used in the backend (because a click and drop thingy isn't really my thing), I would be glad to help you out.
btw: I think it could be a good business opportunity for both of us.
- NicklasMCHD

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2018-03-06 21:14:02

it's hard to described the game development environment but it is really simple to use once you get the main concepts. it's pretty much menu driven but the best way to find out about it would be to go download it and play with it yourself. I helped with some of the testing and we picked it up pretty quick. unfortunately I've been lazy and haven't gotten round to making anything with it but it does also have a debug mode in it where you can play the games you make on your pc to test them out.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-03-07 13:57:29

@SirBadger I have tried it before. As i said: I'm just not a kind of menu programming, developer dude. But I'll give it another try.
- NicklasMCHD

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2018-03-15 01:34:38

Im sorry for the late reply guys. Thank you defender I have written all of your recommendations down. That is a big help.

The backend programming is python Nicklas. And at some point a new action to run your own python scripts will be added but thats further down the priority list at the moment.

What would you say is the main issue with the menu driven approach? If you have any suggestions how could I improve it? The GDE is still young and it still has a lot to be adjusted.

2018-06-04 21:54:28

I've just found out about this project, so I'm going to download the GDE and have me a look.

Looks extremely interesting so far, and I'd be more than happy to make demo game syou could whatever you wanted with.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2018-06-07 20:43:07

what do you guys do to make the nvda menus accessible for screen readers?
i cant seem to use this awesome app with nvda?

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2018-06-08 05:11:44

I can use the arrows, but when i want to add a new object to" the game, it says there is not a folder selectet. When i want to make a new folder, it says no item selected.

best regards

2018-06-08 10:04:26

Hi,
I had a couple of little problems like that. Just reload the client until it works.

Hth.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2018-06-08 14:23:54

but the client works?

best regards

2018-06-09 19:25:19

I had a quick look at this thing because of my recent messing with audio game maker and my #1 suggestion for this environment has to be add stereo panning. Sonus has tons of potential and I'd be happy to make games for it, but being able to only change the volume of sounds is a serious limitation that excludes a number of genres from being possible to develop. Additionally it'd be cool if it could automatically calculate the volume and pan of other objects in relation to a listener X and Y. Figuring out where the listener is could work just like how setting an init object does now, so you just mark an object that's the player as the listener and then the position of the other sounds would change as the listener's coordinates do.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this project! smile

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>