2018-06-05 16:35:38

Yeah, and it's not like it was his choice to leave. What if it was a job opportunity? Look. When you're a game developer for this blind market, and you get a job that's gonna give you a better pay, you take it, no questions asked. I'm sorry, but it's true. Even with all this money poured into the game there is simply no way for any developer to make much of a profit that is caliber to a steady income at a business. Well, let me put it this way. You can profit from it, absolutely. Munawar has proven that in a thread that I forget where it exactly is, but he pointed out that bpc sales helped him with his business trip to Reno. But they are not a source of steady income, so you can't trust that. Put simply, life changes unexpectedly. So I wouldn't hold it too much against them. And besides, just because he's leaving doesn't necessarily mean he's dissociating with the game and anything to do with it, he's still providing basic support for the engine, he just can't develop it majorly. Who knows, maybe a new developer will come along and Ian can mentor him on the underlying code of the engine. The thing is that since the engine was hand-made, he's the only one who knows all about its inner-workings as far as sourcecode is concerned.

2018-06-05 17:06:31

True. We don't know what caused Ian to leave. I just hope, as I said in the update thread, that it was an amicable departure.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2018-06-05 20:48:01

Ethin wrote:

Oh, I know, sited people crack software too, no doubt about it. But from what I've seen, blind people tend to do that kind of thing a lot more than any sited person would, either because they feel entitled to that game, even though they really aren't, they feel the game should be free because it doesn't meet their over-ultra-high standards, or because they can't buy it in their country.

I take issue with these kins of blanket statements. I think that you'll find that the amount of cracking and piracy executed by blind individuals is far surpassed by any amount of cracking done by sighted people. Just remember, sighted folks established sites such as the cracks warez sites, the pirate bay, full fledged key generators, and any number of other methods to circumvent copy protection and legal distribution. I am in no way saying blind people don't, of course, but to claim that the amount done by blind people exceeds that of those done by sighted people is I believe a bit hard to prove. The only reason you might consider that nefarious activities in the blind community might seem more prevalent is because of their proximity or notoriety by association. You're much more likely to know of person X or Y when they crack an audio game than you would of the hundreds and thousands of sighted people who do the same. Close-knit communities can often muddy the waters of perception, and so I believe this notion of blind people perpetrating more cracks and thefts than sighted people is but a product of that clouded view.

Just calling a spade a shovel.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2018-06-05 21:00:26

While I agree that both sighted and visually impaired people participate in software cracking and piracy, I do not agree that there are more visually impaired crackers than there are sighted ones. On the other hand, if you were to say that the percentage of visually impaired people participating in software cracking and piracy is higher than the percentage of sighted people involved, I would tend to agree with you.

---

Just to clarify, in my previous message about not contributing to things like kick starter campaigns, I wasn't trying or intending to say anything negative about Out of Sight Games or any of its members. I was just saying that predicting the future is not a certainty, so I tend not to gamble on whether a particular product will actually make it to market at some future date or not.

2018-06-05 21:46:44

I for one am perfectly willing to contribute, particularly in the case of a first-time developer since they haven't yet had a chance to give me a reason to distrust them. Besides you won't necessarily lose any money since as I understand it the money is only taken out if the funding goal is actually reached.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2018-06-06 00:09:52

Maybe, but unless I'm mistaken, Out of Sight's funding goal for A Hero's Call was reached, so everyone that pledged money to the campaign had to pay up.

If the lead developer left before the game could be finished, all those people would be out their money for nothing. Fortunately for them that didn't happen.

But what did happen was that the lead developer left before the version with graphics could be finished, or possibly even started. I'm sure that some of the contributors to the campaign weren't visually impaired and were interested in the game with graphics, what about them, with the lead developer gone, its unlikely that they'll ever see the game they were interested in.

Or how about those people who pledged enough to qualify for whatever bonus they were offering? Same story, its unlikely they'll ever see their bonus.

2018-06-06 02:39:58

But they did get a game.

2018-06-06 19:01:26

Hey all,

Just wanted to chime in and clarify a couple of things.

Someone asked who is working on the game now that Ian has left OOSG. Our most recent team member, Joshua, is a sighted dev who is doing what he can to help us with work on the AHC engine. It's a pretty steep learning curve since he's working in Ian's custom engines nd a lot of our delays over the last few months have ben the result of figuring out how best to invest his time in the long run. Remember, as always, that none of the developers are doing this for a living—we're all contributing what time we can, around the demands of day jobs and families. That said, we are indeed close to the 1.3 update which will include the bonus items promised to Kickstarter backers, as well as some other improvements that required work on the engine side of things, hence the delays.

Regarding Ian's departure from OOSG, it was indeed amicable. And while I usually let people voice their opinions without comment, I am absolutely going to step in and defend Ian from anyone criticizing his departure. it is not my place to share his reasons, but bear in mind that the OOSG team is privy to information you are not, and all I can tell you guys is that the fact that AHC even exists is a testament to a degree of generosity and dedication on Ian's part that, given the circumstances, goes far beyond anything any of us could or should expect. You should all be tremendously grateful for Ian's dedication to the initial release, and counting your blessings that the growing pains we're dealing with now in his absence are only happening now, and not before the game even came out. That's all I'll say about that.

And regarding the fact that many sighted players backed the game and were probably looking forward to the graphics, there's no doubt you're correct. However, ultimately the core promise of the campaign was to release a game with fully voice-acted dialogue, and we have done that. It is indeed unfortunate that certain donation incentives tied to the 2.0 release, such as the collector's edition and cover art, have been delayed so much. Unfortunately, that's the reality we're dealing with, and we're going to continue to do what we can to make good on our promises, however long that may take.

2018-06-06 19:59:09

Excellent post, 33. Thumbs up! +1! I haven't played AHC for a while now, but when I did it was a very good game.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-06-07 04:38:38

Thanks for the update Joseph. Naturally I wouldn't expect you to reveal anything about the behind the scenes happenings that wasn't our business to know. But I'm glad Ian's departure, whatever the reasons for it, was amicable. And darn right I'm grateful. As I'm sure I said in other threads, AHC is exactly the sort of game I've been hoping for the entire fifteen years I've played audio games. I've beaten it once and I'm working on a second playthrough even now.

2018-06-07 15:17:58

Yeah—I mean obviously we were sad to see him go, but nobody's angry. And he's still very much available to us as a consultant/for emergency help when there's an issue. He just isn't able to regularly work on the engine like he was before, and out of respect to him and his wishes we're refraining from asking him for help except when it's absolutely necessary.

2018-06-07 20:24:36

That makes sense. I'm looking forward to seeing what 1.3 will be like.