2018-06-06 05:58:49

Hey everyone. So the post says it all. I am looking to make my bass sound like a Rhythm Guitar that you might hear in death metal or bands like Meshuggah. My question is: Is it possible to do this with Audacity? Or do I have to use Reaper. I have both but haven't messed around with Reaper much. The distortion in Audacity is complete Garbage. So before you comment, please check out this video. It is by a Band called ForTiorI. This guy gives a demo of how he makes his bass sound like a rhythm guitar. And I have to say, "I think it sounds really good." Now sadly I don't know what software he is using. But I am using Windows10 with Audacity for now, but if Reaper is a better option, I'll have to mess around with that. Anyway, The link to the Video is below. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pChxBUMMV0&t=229s

Sincerely:
John Follis
Check out my YouTube Channel.

2018-06-06 06:20:26

@You're gonna need a DAW, Audacity and GoldWave are not that. I like Reaper, though I was in the same camp as everyone else who say its crazy to get to learn, it kind of is, but there are plenty of resources to help you now, including the Cavi free series that they are offering for free now. The Reaper Accessibility Wiki, and some stuff here.

I don't have direct experience doing this type of thing, but I think you will need some sort of amp emulation VST that allows you to add some overdrive in.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-06 13:33:34

OK. Reaper is the way to go. That's what I was thinking. Now I have used Audacity to make music with my Bass. As you can see on my sounCcloud. All my Bass Arrangements are dun with Audacity.

Sincerely:
John Follis

2018-06-06 17:04:45

Oh god that must have taken a looooooot of patience. Anything you can do in Audacity, you can do in reaper probably in half the time, or less.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-06 18:40:27 (edited by flackers 2018-06-06 18:45:20)

I don't know what you mean about audacity being awkward to use. I think it's the simplest, fully accessible straight out of the box basic multitrack recorder/editor there is. It just doesn't have realtime effects and a decent click, or measures, or any of the other tons of things that make life better for recording music. But just using it as a basic multitrack recorder to record several tracks, then crop the beginnings and ends, fade, pan, level, and export, I don't think it gets any easier than with audacity. You hit r to record a track, then hit r again to record a second track while listening to the first. Hit enter on both tracks to select them. Hit space til you get to just before the music starts, then hit right bracket, stop playback and hit delete to crop the start. When the music finishes, hit left bracket, stop playback, press shift end to  select any remaining audio, then hit delete: Cropping done. Hit left bracket a few seconds or whatever from the end of the music, hit shift end, then choose fade out from the effects menu: fading done. Then hit shift p on each track to pan left and right. Same goes for whatever shortcut adjusts volume. Add any post FX from the effects menu. Choose export from the file menu, name and save, and your done. How could you simplify that process any more? Really, I'm not being sarcastic or argumentative, I just don't think it's possible to be any simpler than audacity is. Unless you are referring to selecting audio using the time counter thing. That is a total pain in the arse, but you don't really need it if you just use your ears and the nudge selection shortcuts.

2018-06-06 21:05:42 (edited by Dan Gero 2018-06-06 21:06:27)

I prefer Goldwave myself. With Goldwave you can select stuff even when you've stopped playback, space acts as play pause instead of play stop, and you can decrease the playback rate to make it easier to select things. The only problem with it is that there's no multi track.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-06-06 21:38:53

It just is clunky to use, goldwave's workflow makes a whole lot more sense, at first, it didn't, because I moved to it from Audacity, but now, I can't even use Audacity anymore. I use a combination of Goldwave and Reaper. Audacity isn't a bad product, its just clunky to use.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-07 10:57:47

For me, I will use audacity and Reaper. I do have a Midi Controller that I play around with. For that, I have to use Reaper. My goal is to be able to make a Techno Electronic Dance Beat of some sort that contains lots and lots of Augmented Chords and the Whole tone Scale.

Sincerely:
John Follis

2018-06-07 11:57:27 (edited by flackers 2018-06-07 11:57:57)

There are some good tutorial podcasts for Reaper but I can't remember the name of them. I found it the easiest way to pick up the basics. Also, I'd recommend Waves GTR for guitar FX. It has lots of bass presets, and it's cheap, and sounds good for the price. You'll just have to use a bit of OCR or sighted assistance, golden cursor or hotspot clicker if you're a jaws user,  and the parameters list in Reaper to gain access. The thing with GTR is it's not a very complicated interface.