2018-06-01 14:23:51

Hey guys. I created a list for discussion of audio games, such as redspot and any other kind of game you may like. To subscribe, you can send an email to
[email protected]

2018-06-01 15:18:21

No offense there mich, but how is this different from the venorable blind gamers list, what used to be known as audeasy?

The list found at https://groups.io/g/blind-gamers

I'm not against the idea of other outlets for gaming discussion, but usually if your thinking of setting something up its good to give it an angle that isn't already covered elsewhere.
For example there is a gaming list devoted to accessible android games, there is the applevis website about Ios, several developers such as gmagames or oriol gomez have their own unique mailing lists for their games specifically  etc.

I'd personally recommend considering what people might need a mailing list for, and trying to fulfill that need if you want to help and give people an outlet for community discussion, since we're pretty covered as far as general gaming places goes between here and the blindgamers list.

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-06-05 10:43:56 (edited by mich440 2018-06-06 01:40:33)

Me and my friend are in the development stages of putting together a website for our little company, and we thought we could have a mailing list. But because our company is not fully developed, we thought we would run an audiogaming list on the side and when our company is developed, we were planning on splitting the group into sub-groups of things that our company would provide, but for now we are keeping it as one big group. Sorry I did not explain this thoroughly in my first post, but I hope this has cleared things up a little. My younger friend is doing the development of our company and I would really like to give credit to him, being at a very young age.

2018-06-05 13:11:06

Fair enough.

I'm afraid I personally wouldn't sign up to another general games list at the second since I tend to feel as I said that all areas are covered there, however when you've got some games developed and are sending out news and  we'll see.

Good luck with the games development.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-06-08 21:15:11

For me, whether I'll sign up for a mailing list depends on a few factors.

If there's already an email list on a given topic which is active, then I don't really see a need to subscribe to another one. It used to be painfully common a few years back for certain blind people to create email lists with completely repetitive subject matter, then, when that list didn't take off, they would create more and more lists sporting the same concept. I believe, although I can't confirm this, that's why the owner of the Whitestick site stopped taking submissions for new email lists, and in fact removed all the blind chat type groups from the listing.

Fortunately, as Facebook groups, WhatsApp groups, and so on have become more widely available, and email lists are sort of falling out of fashion, you don't see this problem anymore. It would be interesting to know whether the same kind of thing happens on other platforms, but since I don't have a Facebook account, and I feel awkward about thousands of random people having my phone number, I don't join those groups.

Of course, environment is also a factor. I've seen moderators who try to rule with an iron fist, and moderators who don't do anything at all and let their groups get overrun with spam. Again, this problem was much more common several years ago, when security wasn't as big of a concern, but it still happens from time to time, particularly the dictatorial leadership styles of some people who seem to think that their mailing list represents the world of whatever topic the list is about. You're just the keeper of one tiny corner of the internet, you're not a martyr, so don't wave that flag at me. I know a lot of people who also find that sort of thing irritating, so they go elsewhere for information.

In other words, while the BlindGamers list has neither of those problems, I can see how someone might want to claim their own slice of the pie, and give it a try. Depending on how big the list gets, you learn how to deal with lots of scenarios you otherwise might not, such as selling your list as a place others would want to be a part of, controlling and defusing bad situations, trolls, spammers, etc. I don't really see much harm in having a secondary audio gaming list. It's not like there's 20000 of them, at least not that I know of.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-06-09 01:51:45

I respect that, everybody has their own opinions about such things.

2018-06-09 13:40:30

I don't like email lists, a lot of people say forums are hard, etc. To which I just smirk and laugh. Yes, some of them can be challenging, but there is usually some method of navigating them, even if you have to think outside the box a little bit. Which, as blind people, is something we all should be familiar with. Because of the descenters, we are still using email lists, and its really annoying.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-09 22:44:51

I don't have a problem with email lists, but really, forums are not that hard, so I agree with you there. The only real problem with forums is that there are sometimes inaccessible captchas when you sign up. Other than that, get yourself a good ad blocker, which you should really have anyway, and, if the forum is cluttered, try using reader mode in your browser. This trick can be hit or miss though, depending on the forum, so I use it sparingly.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-06-10 11:46:18

I wouldn't say its just a matter of basically email lists being an alternative to forums. For a start, there are some pretty cruddy forums out there which can be a nightmare to navigatie and just saying "well live with it" won't necessarily do, when you've had a post disappear twice because you typed it into the wrong field and the stupid forum wouldn't let you copy the text before submitting that can go beyond normal levels of irritation).

Equally however, there are some bennifits of an email list discussion that a forum doesn't have. One of the major ones is cross topic discussion. For examplee, on a forum each topic is a separate entitty in itself, where as on an email lists its possible to have branching topics.
For example if there was a  about swamp which lead to a discussion of mouse control games, it wouldn't be possible to rename the swamp topicc or have a branching topic.

Another point is specific conversation, its far easier on a mailing list to reply to a couple of people in a topic that you wish to converse with specifically, or to chime in to a different conversation, indeed where on a forum generally speaking its difficult to come into a long topic without reading the hole thing, on a mailing list its far easier since replies tend to be much more self contained.

I don't know how this reflects to watsap or facebook groups as I don't use either thing myself, and I would expect that skype groups have a different dynamic again, since there you are replying in real time, but certainly the differences in format to me make both discussion methods valid ones for people who want to engage in them.