2018-05-12 18:02:53

@SLJ

1. For multiplayer compatibility, each version of SoundRTS is a different game. The mod must match exactly too, sooner (until 1.2 alpha 9) or later (since 1.2 alpha 10 where only one server per SoundRTS version is needed).

2. Only the "slj" server is on the metaserver. It runs 1.2-c2 which is fine. There is no server called "coolfortheblind" on the metaserver right now. Note that 2 servers would use the same port unless you use the -p command line option.
Version 1.2-c2 contains crazymod9beta9. For a server it doesn't matter because only one server is needed for all the mods.
People can use any version of the mod on a 1.2-c2 server.
Maybe I should update the included mod to crazymod9beta10 and even include crazymod8.3? or just provide the vanilla SoundRTS without mods?
About curating maps, sound packs and mods, I'm not sure if I could do this. I'm focusing on the code at the moment.

2018-05-12 18:17:26

Focus on the code is correct.
we hope you can develop more and more interesting game features.

SoundMUD wrote:

@SLJ

1. For multiplayer compatibility, each version of SoundRTS is a different game. The mod must match exactly too, sooner (until 1.2 alpha 9) or later (since 1.2 alpha 10 where only one server per SoundRTS version is needed).

2. Only the "slj" server is on the metaserver. It runs 1.2-c2 which is fine. There is no server called "coolfortheblind" on the metaserver right now. Note that 2 servers would use the same port unless you use the -p command line option.
Version 1.2-c2 contains crazymod9beta9. For a server it doesn't matter because only one server is needed for all the mods.
People can use any version of the mod on a 1.2-c2 server.
Maybe I should update the included mod to crazymod9beta10 and even include crazymod8.3? or just provide the vanilla SoundRTS without mods?
About curating maps, sound packs and mods, I'm not sure if I could do this. I'm focusing on the code at the moment.

2018-05-12 20:53:05

Hi.
Hmm, okay. I'm sorry but I'm still a bit confused on how it works. But I'm just glad at leased something works. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-05-12 22:28:45

hello
this is absolutely awesome, I play this a lot, and have a lot of fun.
anyway, can I make my own mod? how do I make it? I can't understand the moding guide.htm that the game folder provided, is there more thorough guide out there?

good day
togira
sorry for my bad english

2018-05-22 07:41:39

Hi.
We are some gamers who enjoy playing Sound RTS online. But, my server lacks really bad. Sometimes, it takes two minutes for the units to react, and other times the connection just drops. Are there some generel lacking issues in the online gameplay? Are there any ways I can optimize my server, or is it just too small in specs?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2018-05-22 17:54:24

@togira ikonoka

I'll think about writing a better guide.

@SLJ

I am improving this part of the code. I have added semi-automated multiplayer tests and I hope to fix some issues. Maybe some clients and some servers around the world could run the automated tests for more realistic results, but I need to improve the tests first. And I need to fix the bugs that the current tests have discovered.

At the moment, the server doesn't need much CPU. Only the ping can be a problem. On the other hand, each client needs CPU. To completely remove connection dropping, try to edit the timeout value in SoundRTS.ini to 3600 instead of 20. This way the connection will drop after 1 hour of inactivity instead of 20 seconds.

2018-05-23 08:35:32

@Soundmod: Thanks for your answer. It's good to know that you are working on improving the online gameplay. We'll try to change the timer. Just let me know if you need more test servers. Then I'll gladly help where I can.

Best regards SLJ.

2018-06-01 01:34:12 (edited by blindndangerous 2018-06-01 02:02:15)

How do you get a server registered with the current metaservers list?  Do I need to fill out the php files?  I don't think so as I thought that was only if the current servers list goes down?  The reason I ask is because I got the server to run, but if I launch it, I see myself connect, but it doesn't load the game, and then it disconnects me.
Edit: I got it I think further by modifying config.php and putting in the information for my mariadb database, but it still will not load a game. It asks for the type of map I want to use, if I want a quiet or aggressive computer, then beeps and puts me back to server configuration.  Server.log doesn't seem to have any information other than me connecting and disconnecting, and a warning about not being able to connect to whatismyip.com.

2018-06-01 03:01:17

Uh, not sure if this is what your going for, but if you want to play with computers on different teams you can use a private server. Those multiplayer servers are, you guessed it, just for other players!

2018-06-01 03:23:54

No, I'm trying to set up a server for others to use.  It's set up on my vps, and trying to connect to it from my home machine. I've also noticed that the other server that is using a10 is doing the same thing. Allowing me to make a game, but not letting me add any players/computers to it. Just gives a beep and that's it.

2018-06-01 05:48:04

hello @blindndangerous

First of all, when the server is created, it is registered automatically in to the server list.
The php files, are for mount your own meta-server list on your own server, in the case for have an alternative server list than the main of soundmud, of if you want your own meta-list for any reazon.

Next, when you create a public server, you (or any other player  can't create games only with one human and machines. If you want add machines, before that in the game, must have two or more human players.

The only option to can create games with only a human and machines, is create a simple server, on that where the owner of the server is the only person that can create games.

So, if your VPS have problems to be registered on the list, or other players can't join it, check correctly the firewalls, the mods installed on your server, and the ports used for the connection, because these sintoms are only problems with your network, or permissions for the game on the security tools of the system.

:3
Bye!

2018-06-01 07:13:18

Thanks Sandslash. I'll have to see if I can get more people on to test.  That's what I was trying to do, a human and a computer.

2018-06-01 07:47:48

Hi.
What version are you using? If you are using an older version of the game, the server won't work as expected. Also, try to disable the mods in the game.

Best regards SLJ.

2018-06-01 18:27:01

I'm using a10. It should be up, so if it doesn't work, let me know and I can do more troubleshooting.

2018-06-01 18:32:28

To play this game, what's the best version to use on a mac? And is this game still being updated?

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2018-06-01 18:47:22

Well, that's weird.  I had one other person join my server, but we couldn't connect. We each could make a game, but we couldn't see anything from each other. I'm also seeing things in my server.log about could not find elf.txt and to check for style.txt, though it looks like these were never translated into English as it seems to have the french words.
2018-05-31 20:41:56,772 WARNING: no value found for sauvage.title (check style.txt

2018-06-01 20:29:36

The latest version of the game is 1.2-c2

blindndangerous wrote:

I'm using a10. It should be up, so if it doesn't work, let me know and I can do more troubleshooting.

2018-06-01 22:54:14

@blindndangerous
Yes, at the moment, the players need to have selected the same mod before connecting. The sound packs shouldn't matter.
The warning is interesting because it could be a bug. I'll try to make sure that the server doesn't have to read style.txt, and maybe even the list of available factions.
Maybe a server should by default allow games with only one human, unless an option is set in the config file.

@Mitch
The stable (1.1.1), or the old stable (1.0.1) are probably the best version for a mac, unless the TTS works, maybe using a virtual machine.

2018-06-02 02:18:29 (edited by blindndangerous 2018-06-02 02:35:36)

I would absolutely think that's a good idea soundmud.  Would also help those of us who are testing to make sure our servers are working as expected if we could connect with one human and a bot.
I grabbed c2, but since their's no linux port, I guess we can only play locally for now.

2018-06-02 09:05:05 (edited by sanslash332 2018-06-02 09:08:35)

your welkome @blindndangerous.
If you want, i can test with you.

Try to contact me at the youmud, if you can't test your server yet tongue

pd: @blindndangerous if you want check the c2 version in your linux vps, only clone the soursecode repository and install the python dependencias and try it.

2018-06-02 19:00:33

I cloned the whole repo, will give this a try. Thanks Sandslash.

2018-06-02 23:12:12

One thing I'd love is if enemies could have multiple attacks, like a tank that can shoot ground units with artillery from a distance, run over enemies with a close range melee attack and fire missiles with splash effect against flying units all at the same time.

2018-06-02 23:16:33

blindndangerous wrote:

Well, that's weird.  I had one other person join my server, but we couldn't connect. We each could make a game, but we couldn't see anything from each other. I'm also seeing things in my server.log about could not find elf.txt and to check for style.txt, though it looks like these were never translated into English as it seems to have the french words.
2018-05-31 20:41:56,772 WARNING: no value found for sauvage.title (check style.txt

This error message is referring to the savage faction of the Crazy mod, hope that helps. More specifically, it can't find the title setting in stile.txt that is somewhat indirectly used to give friendly names to units that a player can hear.
You probably knew that already. wink

2018-06-03 21:19:48

@keithwipf1
Using an instant upgrade, it's possible to have a unit with 2 modes, like a siege tank. Check the flyingtownhall mod for a unit with 2 modes.
Several attacks might be interesting though. Someday maybe.

@blindndangerous
The source code of c2 isn't on Github. Maybe I will add a package for Linux servers in the next version.

2018-06-04 01:55:22

Yeah I see that now. I've cloned your repo, and will wait.  Appreciate all the work you're doing.