2018-06-02 15:46:29

hello music lovers your help/suggestions is wanted. I am interested in brushing up on my piano skills, I haven't played in years since becoming totally blind. I don't have the gift of playing by ear, I was a keyboard player that looked at the notes. question to all of you, is there a web site that tells you what notes to play, instead of showing the drawings of the notes. and yes I have tried music brail, but it was to overwhelming at that particular time

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2018-06-02 18:12:16

dancing dots has something called lime aloud that's supposed to help the blind read sheet music. never used it though so can't vouche for it. here's the link anyway.
http://dancingdots.com/prodesc/limealoud.htm

2018-06-02 18:42:16

I don't even know notation, I just play, though I am not that good, but I used to play for 6 to 8 hours a day. You hear a song, it gets in your head, you mess around until you can play it, it takes time but its doable. I don't have a keyboard anymore, but I hope to change that soon, as there are so many opportunities to make music with synths and so forth in virtual instruments.

Notation is confusing, 1/8 note, ok, an eighth of what, an eighth of the bar, an eighth of a beat, and that changes with tempo. Dotted, tied whatever you call that, hollow, so confusing. Unless you have to play with others, just play the music in your mind. If you know a song, you can play it. You may have to take time to discover where the notes are, but especially if you have previous piano experience, just hear the music in your mind and play it as you hear it. I used to compose 3 to 4 hour pieces that I never wrote down because I don't know notation. I had the music in my mind, and whenever I wanted to play the same piece, I just played the song in my mind and the piano / keyboard followed along.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-02 20:01:42

If you can figure out Noteworthy Composer, or another midi sequencer (but NWC tries to convert midis to sheet music, so it might be more understandable?), I'd say try that. I've gotten much better at working out music by ear, but that took a while, so in the meantime, I would download midi files, open them in NWC, and slog through the inevitable rhythm glitches to figure it out. NWC is not screen reader friendly, though, so you'll need to be comfortable selecting and deselecting notes/rests/other notation without much feedback.
NWC gives a text description of notes when you try to put them somewhere other than the score itself. I mostly only did this with Jaws, so I'd just paste them into the find dialog to read them. NVDA can do it just by copying and using NVDA+C to read the clipboard, but last I checked, Jaws was better with NWC in general.
Also, it does tend to mess up the rhythm when converting midis. Especially if the tempo is mathematically inconvenient, or there are triplets, swung notes, or it was recorded rather than transcribed.
But if you're willing and able to put up with all of those obstacles, it might be helpful.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.