2018-05-16 12:47:04

Hi.

i was recently looking into muds that could spark my interest and I stumbled upon 4Dimensions which, from the describtion, sounds something I would enjoy, different worlds, not only monster mashing, and stuff to explore is what I am looking for.
So, are there any 4Dimensions players around who can say if it's worth trying it?

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-05-16 14:14:07

As I said in This topic about four dimensions the game has a lot of plusses.
The zones are very well described and well written, there are minigames, wonderful textual maps for finding your way around, and some absolutely unique crafting activities (gardening is surprisingly fun), particularly since most crafting is actually tied to doing quests and looking out for things, for instance in order to cook you actually have to know where to get the ingredience.

All that being said, the game does have a problem, namely that the  and activities tend to be a wee bit obscure and its not always easy to get help on them.
For example, the guide on crafting says you can go to a planet in the future zone and help with the grape harvest. Sure enough I got my spaceship and went along there, but there was absolutely no way to interact with the grapes at all, no harvest commands, nothing.
Sometimes you can get lucky and run into a helpful player, but often not, and that isn't even getting into the quests which can be a wee bit on the obscure side on occasion, indeed "A wee bit on the obscure side" pretty much somes up a lot about the game.

The other problem is its often a little difficult to know where to go and what to try out, since while the game has probably one of the best newbie schools of any mud I've seen and new player zones that take you right up to your first ascension, there isn't as much of an indication of what to do next. Again, asking other players helps to some extent but your very dependent on others for direction, and unlike a game like say frandom where you can just wander and try things, since four dimensions has a lot of warpps, different linking zones etc, its quite possible to get very lost or just spend a long time wandering around aimlessly, which might be a good or bad thing depending upon your preference big_smile.

I do know they were looking at implementing a quest journal system, which would likely help quite a bit, and of course it might be that I wasn't just poking the right things or that the help needed expanding, for example one major problem I had originally was that the help file on skinning didn't mention you actually have to go and buy skin bundles from the wild west in order to store and sell skins.

Its actually a game I probably ought to get back to, since the bits I saw of it, like the crafting and the quests when they did! work were really awesome, its just I wish things were a little less obscure, either that or that the right players would be around a little more often.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-05-16 15:14:24

hi.
Thanks for the info Dark, I think i can got  a pritty good impression what I will encounter, I guess I will give this one a go.
You mensioned Framdom which I breefley checked in the games list, but I personally don't really like where this is going.
Sure, not everything is combat based and slay to rise themed, but still, what i am missing is the diversity, but that's a problem with most muds.
What would be awesome if you have a mud, well, set in a fantasy setting for example and you can freely develop your character. For example, and given my personall taste for example create a swift and nimble martial arts master, beating his enemys with precise kicks, punches or other hand to hand techniques, or either be a strong warrior, barreling onto the battlefield on a powerful war stallion and save the day by shere brutality and lots of guts flying, well, as far as this is possible in a text format.
This is what i am missing a bit, maybe clock would be an alternative, but I get sort of stuck in that game a bit.

Greetings Moritz.

2018-05-16 15:31:33

It's a pretty cool MUD. I think it still has a lot of guess the verbiage type quests though. Not a fan of that.

2018-05-16 15:52:35

It's... interesting, but really not my cup of tea.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-05-16 16:47:05

I do believe they were working on at least some of the obscurity, EG having a quest journal to reccord progress and give hints. The more serious problem I had was basically where to go and what to do.
For example alibaba's cave is supposed to be a sort of post newbie area, but I only found that out when someone told me. Likewise, one part of the quest to learn cooking involved having to kill a specific creature that only showed up at a  time of day in one area.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-05-16 17:35:31

Hi.
Hmm ok, I will give this a try and see if it will work out for me or not, I hope that the player base is also of the opinion that some quests are pritty much trial and error and are at leased helpfull, not like other certain muds like Artwolf.
BTW, is the connection info still 4dimensions.org port 6000?
Because when I tryed accessing that, nothing came up in my mushclient. I downloaded the standard mushclient, do I need a special version of that program?

Greetings Moritz.

2018-05-16 18:10:29

I played it briefly and am thinking of getting back but as they said, it is a bit obscure and I didn't really know what to do. I got stuck in a particular part of the newbie school where you had to find a key in aprison room with a bucket of.... well.... stuff and couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do.

The cool thing about the game is it borrows horribly from other franchises, having a bunch of worlds that are like STAR WARs, Final Fantasy, or classic Victorian literature books. However, that variety is interesting as one moment you could go out and fight cavemen and then bring some dinosaur bone clubs into the old west or have a shootout in the okay corale with you with a magical crossbow. The fact that the worlds interplay with one another is very fun. It is super-inactive though and there aren't very many updates for it at any given time.

2018-05-16 20:08:47

Actually bookrage, there are weekly updates to the game if you use the command in the mud, but for some reason updates only get written to the website once every few months.

As a hint in 4D, one thing I will say is to  remember the old interactive fiction trick of try every command on every object, not just look or examine, but also look in, smell and sometimes read too.

That puzzle in the prison can be solved by looking in something that you wouldn't normally expect to contain things. There is a hint in said object's description when you examine it, but I just found the key by trying random stuff out.

Generally the problem I found in 4D wasn't so much guess the verb, as more what your supposed to do with particular objects  where your supposed to find them given how huge the game and many of its areas are, but as I said I probably ought to give the game another look and see where things are now since the crafting in particular was really rather awesome.

2018-05-17 07:02:05

Hi.
Hmm, that|s strange, I still can|t seam to connect to the mud, i tried with diffferent computers and networks, but nothing works.
Is the mud currently down or am I doing something wrong?
As stated I downloaded the normal mushclient, installed and wanted to set up the mud, do I  need any plug ins by accident?
Greetings Moritz.

2018-05-17 07:30:03

No ideas on mushclient, but with vipmud its just 4dimensions.org port 6000 as it said on the website.

Annoyingly enough my character seems to have been purged. That's fair enough, I don't think I've  played for over a year, but still its a miner pest having to restart.

2018-05-17 08:13:34

yeah with mushclient you need mushreader or no screen readerness

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-05-17 13:56:12

Hi.
Ah thanks, now it works as it should.
BTW, did the key combination to switch to the output window change or do I have the wrong key in mind? As far as I know, switching windows was with ctrl tab last time.

Greetings Moritz.

2018-05-17 15:38:13

make sure you already added the output plujan too

2018-05-19 02:36:39

I really like 4d but my character was deleted or something, which has really annoyed me since I was close to completing my first class and the last time I played was in january. so IDK what happened.

:D happy to help out with games and the like... maybe :D

2018-05-19 04:14:30

Hmmm, Brad I assume my own char was purged primarily because I'd not played for a while. I'd finished my first class too.

still getting through the newbie  zones and then the arenas is easy enough to do once you know what is where, and that pretty much takes you to first ascension anyhow. Also I confess the newbie zones were in some ways my favourite part of the game, since there the goals  much more defined and so easier to understand, or at least it was after I'd finished the newbie zones and was working on my second assention that I started to run into the above mentioned quest troubles etc.

2018-05-21 12:05:18

Hi.
Hmm strange, I still can't access the output window of mushclient, any ideas what the problem is?
I haven't found an output plugin anywhere on the web and CTRL tab doesn't work, or is another key combination required for that?

greetings Moritz.

2018-05-21 15:20:15

Here is my package of mushclient plugins everyone should have. If this download from dropbox doesn't work for you for some reason, just let me know and I will upload it to my server and host it from there. It has your output plugin in there among others.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-05-21 20:18:55

Hi.
Thanks for the link, everything worked fine.

Greetings Moritz.

2018-05-31 00:59:06

Hi.
Bringing this bak, I due have a question for those who have played the game a bit.
Spoilers ahead
I completed the mud school and the beginner quests and I am now on the venture way and headed into the western zone.
I arived on this small ranch where you can kill animals to gain experience. But, I am wondering, can I get off the ranch?
The only thing I get when i talk to Sharon the owner is the job to collect the old horseshoes which I have to bring her to get some cash, but I can't seam to find a way to get off the ranch.
There is a small water trough on the ranch witch, from the description could hold an item, but no matter what I type, look trough, look in trough, look water, look small, I can't gather any results because the object is apparently not there, even though it's says so in the room description.
Are these newbie areas just that small? I thought they were bigger, I can't seam to find out what the problem is.

Greetings Moritz.

2018-05-31 17:32:55

If I remember rightly all the western zone takes place in the ranche. There are a few things you can do, mostly bring people stuff for cash, but the really important thing is the skins, since from them.YOU CAN GET EQUIPMENT FROM THEM.

I think the water trough figures in a quest you need to talk to the guy in the house about rather than there's something specifically there, either that or there is an item which hasn't repopped yet, that can happen too.

If in doubt in 4d try every command on an object, including get and get all, indeed sometimes you can get stuff from containers that you can't look in.

2018-05-31 22:35:27

Hey, I was thinking about getting back into 4d. What mud client is good for it and what should I add to it to make it work?

2018-05-31 23:52:04

Since there are no soundpacks etc and the only access fixes are in the mud itself, Any client that plays muds standardly will do, I used vipmud myself as I do for all none Aa muds, but Mushclient might work with the screen reader addon if you prefer.

2018-06-01 03:58:12

Actually, Dark, this may be the wrong ranch, or we may be talking about very different things.

Slight
spoilers
ahead

To get off the ranch, you can either recall, or I believe you can use the tumbleweed you can find on the ranch. I think you type "follow tumble" because it's blowing around, and it leads you back to recall.

Now, if you haven't finished Sharon's quest - she wants you to help her bake bread - say Greetings or Howdy (I'm not sure which one works, they're pretty inconsistent about this) and get her talking. I believe that eventually she'll prompt you to say "help" or "yes" or something (just read the text) and she should tell you how you can help. It's a pretty simple quest.

At last check, the trough and skins and whatnot had nothing to do with this place. Most of what you can kill, I think, are horses anyway.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2018-06-01 06:24:19

I'm actually writing soundpack for the mud, though it's still an early work in progress.
Tips for newbies: look at everything you find suspicious, and look at anything you can. What you may not think of might lead to the answer you seek.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.