2018-05-31 08:01:07

So Article 13 is frankly terrifying for the EU's copyright reforms....here's a video explaining why. I can still link to that thankfully....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2nXynItfu0

What will Article 13 mean for us in the EU? Well...as that video states.......

A tax on links, yes, a tax or fee to link to other sources or articles. Think how that will affect everybody inside and outside the EU. The end of fair use, and tighter copyright restrictions. Sam couldn't, under this, claim oh these sounds are fair use if this passes, this forum couldn't link to other topics, or outside sources, or even to the main site itself. No remixs, parodies, or even memes. Think on that. Think on having EVERYTHING you upload go through a filter, as the EU wants it to.

There's a way to notify your M.E.P.

saveyourinternet.eu

I notified my MEP, I'm urging everyone else to do the same in the EU, I've no idea if it will do anything outside of the EU but absolutely inside the EU.....sign it, urge your MEPs to vote down Article 13. It affects everyone.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-05-31 08:06:46

More info here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvXOfq3AB8s

And here: edri.org

Plenty more info on Article 13 as well. I don't expect anyone else to give a shit but this affects everyone. Thank god Britain is getting out of the EU.

Also on Linux natively

2018-05-31 10:00:28

Keep in mind that I'm just an ignorant American, but it seems to me that Germany is like the EU basically and wants to kick other countries around until they start doing things the way the Germans want it done.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-05-31 10:38:50

It sounds very worrying, but the trouble with this is I don't trust youtubers on this kind of thing. They're always blowing stuff out of proportion in order to scare people into sharing their vids. The first guy especially admitted he was out of his depth with this sort of thing. And didn't get the irony of saying he existed mostly to roast social justice warriors, then went on to say something awful is happening in society and something must be done. So I don't trust people like that to deliver this kind of info. But if I were to go direct, I'd probably need a law degree, so I'm fucked either way.

2018-05-31 11:09:57

https://edri.org/

That's a less Youtube centric source, but other Youtubers are also starting to cover the story. Even Github themselves put out a statement.

@Iron: Pretty much.

I'll illustrate with real world examples:

This forum couldn't, if this passes, link to anything. The main site couldn't link off site, or to news articles about audiogames. Iron's blog would be affected too, because this affects everyone. Not just the EU.

Github put out an article on it as well though and back in March they said they'd try to help the situation, and even they had zero input. When industry experts are calling for this to be scrapped, you know it is a bad, bad sign.

@Flakkers: Yes but he does explain it in a very easy to understand manner though. He isn't blowing the seriousness of this out of proportion. If this passes, sites like Reddit, Youtube, even here will be affected, hell, every site will be affected though. This isn't just an EU issue. This affects everything we do online though.

Also on Linux natively

2018-05-31 11:14:44

Github statement: https://blog.github.com/2018-03-14-eu-p … ters-code/

ZDNet.com article: https://www.zdnet.com/article/github-ne … velopment/

There's two non-Youtube sources about it.

Real world examples if this goes through....which it most likely will:

The EU wants a Content ID type filtering system a la Youtube. We all know how broken Youtube's filtering and content ID is, now imagine for a moment you use stock sounds, and they get flagged by the system, your upload gets rejected. That will kill the EU audiogame scene right there. Or a small blog, Iron's blog for instance, will get hit despite not being in the EU because it has visitors from the EU.

You can sign if yer in Europe at:

www.saveyourinternet.eu

Also on Linux natively

2018-05-31 11:23:16

Hi,
Quite frankly this proves the point that politicians absolutely do not get how the internet works or what it stands for. It's actually quite disgusting, I thought the copyright reforms were supposed to make things less restrictive! This is a ridiculous and quite frankly stupid idea to try to put through, yet here we go again. Let's hope enough people will sign the petitions.

2018-05-31 14:53:42

@Ironcross, if someone is the EU, it's the politicians in brussels. Yes, Germany has a distinct power in the EU but most of the time they suck on the balls of the united states because our chanselor and the rest of the politicians apparently aren't able to have an opinion on their own.
It's not that I am a right winger and supporting people and partys like the AFD, Trump, Erdogan and so on, in fact I think they are people with to much power at their hands, but something has to change in this cuntry.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-05-31 16:26:35

Thanks for the linked articles. I get the idea that all content uploaded to the internet will be automatically scanned for copyrighted content the way sites like youtube do. That on its own sounds pretty heavy-handed to me: the net equivalent of being searched every time you leave your house in case you're carrying anything illegal. What I'm not getting though is the bit about how it prevents people from sharing info by linking to other sites because of some sort of link tax that only big companies could afford. I'd really like to read a plain-English version of the complete proposal from a EU parliamentary source, but I doubt such a thing exists.

2018-05-31 17:53:25

Hi,
Pretty heavy handed?  think that's an understatement. What will happen to freely sharing information,articles etc? It's ridiculous.

2018-05-31 18:18:27

This is the first thing I've heard that makes me think Britain's leaving the EU might be a good thing. But it's also exactly the sort of thing the British government would go along with anyway. They were very quick to jump on board with forcing ISps to block file-sharing sites, which prevented people from gaining access for as long as it took them to find a decent proxy.

2018-05-31 19:30:41

Honestly I'm curious how the EU will get away with this, let alone how they'll even do it. The internet has so many links (far more than we have humans) and far too much data to scan. There is just absolutely no way this law will work. Again, this law is one of those laws where it sounds good on paper, but when implemented and when trying to enforce it it  totally fails. And this proves many peoples points, not just on this forum, but all over the world, that politicians do not know what the fuck they're talking about and need to be brained. Oh, I'll agree that there are some good politicians in there who actually know what they're talking about i.e. the Secure Data Act) but most of them have absolutely no technical experience or knowledge whatsoever and seriously need an education on the fast track or need to be removed altogether sometime. I mean, this law doesn't even make sense. How are you going to scan the internet every single time something changes? What are you going to do -- keep a massive 50 YB list of SHA512 checksums that will determine if anything on the internet is altered? Ha! Good luck with that! And then what will you do if anything is altered? Re-scan the entire internet to find what was altered? Good luck with that! As of September of 2017 there were an estimated 1.254 billion websites on the web. There are so many links on the internet that calculating a total is impossible! Now, onto the rest of it... Github has it right when they say that this law will generate false positives. If they're going to do this for even half the internet that will still be infeasible. I have a project (well, two projects), both inactive for now, that are duel-licensed. Well, OK, three. Two of them are mostly open-source excluding their sound engine which is licensed under a different license. The other is duel licensed -- its both licensed under the GFD and the BSD 3-clause, if I'm not mistaken. So, yep... this law just isn't going to work.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-05-31 20:04:19

We may just have to start encrypting links with openssl or something like that.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2018-05-31 21:38:00

@13, we already do with SSL. Most websites do, anyway. We could encrypt them with a different cryptographic protocol, but we'd need to rewrite web browsers to use that.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github