2017-10-29 09:21:56

It definitely wasn't nespresso... I can't think of a hotel that would fork up that much money for one of those, if they could go with a keurig. If they're willing to fork out nespresso machine and pods, they might as well buy a drip maker and a package of preground coffee. Nespresso doesn't do hot chocolate or any other drinks, which is why they probably do their job so well. Hands down the best pod coffee that isn't from fresh whole ground beans... and I hate instant coffee! There are a couple of instant I have come to like, one from Korea which is a mocha flavour and a hazlenut one from malasia, but other than that, I stay far away from instant coffee.

Discord: clemchowder633

2017-10-29 15:25:42

I'll do instant coffee, but only if it's the only coffee available. Every brand and style of instant coffee I've ever tried was not much more than swill.

2017-10-29 21:03:18

Generally the only instants I tend to like tend to be German brands, which probably says something about the quality of most instant  coffee in the Uk big_smile.

Though the thing which is really depressing at the moment is the amount of costa and starbucks places  serve glorified milk shakes that really don't taste of coffee at all.
It's particularly sad given that Costa have used aggressive and often quite unfair tactics to put local coffee shops and cake stands out of business.

On Durham station platform there used to be a wonderful small company called chinos who had the most amazing Columbian coffee, along with really nice pastries and such.
As is usual however Costa muscled in on the contract. This initially meant that Chinos moved from one platform to the other,  the result was most people, even on the south platform would nip over to the north platform for their coffee rather than go to Costa, so predictably Costa bought out the contract and Chinos went out of business, indeed the staff (who I knew quite well), apparently had been offered jobs by Costa but refused since they didn't see basically pressing one or two buttons on a glorified milk shake machine as worth their time as compared to the proper job of baking and coffee making they'd done previously.

then again I still do know a couple of decent places, there is a café near where we have moved in Newark who, by their smell do very proper coffee,  are called Café amore and I do intend to pop around and try them out next time Riva needs a walk.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-11-04 15:26:17

I just saw an episode of History channel's Modern Marvels about coffee. After talking about how we make our coffee in this thread, it was interesting.

One of the first things I learned, I already knew. One of the reasons American coffees taste bitter is because most Americans would prefer to pay less for a cup of coffee than to have a better tasting coffee, so most American coffees are made from the cheaper Robusta beans instead of the better quality Aravica beans. About the only good thing that can be said for Robusta beans is that they have more caffine in them than the Aravica beans do. How much more they didn't say.

The next thing I learned was that the French Press was the most popular and considered by many to be the best way to make coffee, and that the old percolators that were popular before automatic drip machine took over is probably the worst way to make coffee because it keeps rebrewing the coffee, over and over again, until you remove it from the heat and remove the grounds basket from it.

They never said what they thought of or how they rated the automatic drip machines. Pity. Since I have and use one, I'd would have liked to know.

2017-11-04 19:22:16

Yep, predominance of Arabica beans is why I get my coffee on special order, likewise why I use the French press myself.
for me it's not quite as much about the caffeine as it is  the intensity of the taste and fragrance, once reason why my favourite coffees tend to be medium rather than ultra strong but heavy on the aroma.

Sadly Café Amore was a right bust, unfriendly staff and not great coffee. I'll try them again just in case that was a bad day but I'll need to find a new haunt I think ;d.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-05-29 20:16:40

Well, this thread is from a few months back...I brought it back from the dead because this seemed the most appropriate place to post this.

While perusing Amazon today, not looking for anything, just wasting time, I ran across this product and had to laugh. It is a one pound bag of coffee beans that is described as being the world's strongest coffee and is called Death Wish. Gee, I wonder how much caffeine it has.

@Dark

Just out of curiosity, was there a particular reason why you chose a French press coffee maker over all the other types available?

2018-05-30 01:37:07 (edited by matt1211 2018-05-30 01:39:40)

I wonder if that's available in canada, I'll have to check, it sounds great!
I'm not Dark, but I'll give you my reasons for occasionally using a french press, anyways smile
I find that when using a french press, the coffee has different, and more, notes to its flavour. Maybe because the grounds and water are sitting together for so much longer?
Either way I drink my coffee black, so I enjoy the differences sometimes when I've got some extra time to wait.
edit: Spelling and update
Yes, it is most definitely available! Thanks for the tip Orko! big_smile

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2018-05-30 05:15:40

ah, appropriate this topic is coming back as yet again its three in the morning, and yet again I'm making coffee big_smile.

There are several reasons I use the cafetier, also called a french press (btw I prefer the name cafetier as french press to me sounds like a wrestling hold), big_smile.

The first I have to say is simple convenience. Remember that in the Uk everyone has an electric kettle, this means anything like a stove top percolator would mean major extra work (especially since at the moment I don't have a workable stove top anyway). The cafetier makes coffee approximately the same process as making a pot of tea, ie, boyle kettle, chuck in coffee grounds and water and wait a bit, particularly since frequently I'm making fruit tea for my lady at the same time, that when she isn't making coffee for me big_smile.
there is also no need to buy extra filters or other things, since the triple mesh filter the cafetier itself has is entirely permanent, you just need to take it out and give it a wash occasionally, and of course you can customize how strong you want your coffee by adding more beans, or indeed if  making more than two cups (at a time, buy a larger cafetier.
When my weekly tabletop rp group  decided to start coming to my place for games, this meant making coffee for four at a stretch, so I simply bought a larger sized cafetier that makes four cups of coffee at a time rather than the usual two, I just add six or seven tea spoons of grounds as opposed to the usual three or four.

of course if I do feel diligent enough to grind my own beans things are a little less convenient, albeit I can usually have the beans ground by the time the kettle is boiled, but wittards, the same firm that provide my coffee will also grind it for me to the right consistency, and unlike others I trust them to grind the coffee properly.

The second reason however is exactly what matt1211 said. I've tried other brewing methods and of them all the cafetier seems to produce the best coffee with the best flavor. I can insure the water isn't actually boiling, (I usually boil the kettle then wait until its stopped bubbling), so the beans don't get burned, and there are no extra heating elements on the cafetier itself to overheat things, though as I conveniently have a stainless steel one the coffee stays hot for a long time, even longer if I use my cosy, although the coffee usually gets drunk first big_smile.

2018-05-30 15:39:16 (edited by Orko 2018-05-30 15:40:44)

Dark, my but you're an early riser, or are you just having one of those nights?

Ah! So a French press doesn't heat the water itself, I think I'll keep using my drip coffee maker, much more convenient.

Matt1211, if you try the Death Wish coffee, please let us know what you think of it.

2018-05-30 16:16:03

Matt 1211 might both have opinions on this one, as we are both thinking of buying it... at least, once I recover from travel expenses!

No, the french press doesn't heat water by itself. But I agree with what the other two have said... there is more subtle nuance in the flavour of the coffee produced by the french press, and you can have some control over how much of that flavour you want to bring out by letting it sit longer or for shorter time.

2018-05-30 16:28:06

Well, then, I'd be interested in hearing from both of you. I do like strong coffee, but I also believe that there are limits to everything, that's why I haven't tried it yet myself.

Currently, the coffee I use is Folgers Black Silk, and my coffee maker has a mode where it slows down how quickly the hot water drips down through the grounds which allows it to pick up more of the coffee from the grounds than most other drip coffee makers would allow. I'm quite happy with the combination, but there's always room for improvement.

2018-06-21 21:19:25 (edited by assault_freak 2018-06-21 22:20:27)

Bringing this topic back.. because you can never have too much discussion about coffee! Looking for a tip.

I'm looking into a hand grinder, as I'd like one for travel that's not electric. I'm looking at some of the hario grinders to compliment with my french press, as they seem to be popular choices... however, I'm wondering if anyone here has suggestions for a grinder which allows you to tell how much coffee you've ground in measurements of either cup or gram with some sort of tactile marking in the grind chamber? Also, as a relative grasshopper when it comes to coffee, what is commonly meant by a, quote, cup of coffee? As in, the measurements you get from grinders or recipies which ask you to add a cup or measure out such and such amount of coffee? If a grinder says three cups of coffee are able to be held in the chamber, does that mean the amount of grinds can brew three cups worth of decent coffee, or something else?

2018-06-21 21:40:12

quot? the frig? I am wondering if it is quart, as in a quarter of a gallon, 3 quarts being just under a gallon.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-21 21:51:00 (edited by Orko 2018-06-21 21:52:26)

Although cup sizes vary, I think I remember reading somewhere that officially a cup of coffee is considered to be six ounces, which leaves a little room left over, in an eight ounce cup, for creamer, if you want it.

My father said that he likes to use coffee beans and grind them himself because he thinks it gives him better tasting coffee, to that end I was looking at coffee grinders on Amazon, and the most popular one seems to be a hand grinder made by Coffee Gator. However, since I haven't bought a grinder yet, I can't tell you if it has any kind of markings in the bean cup. Even if it did, since cup sizes vary, I'd just use trial and error to figure out how much beans for one cup of coffee, and go from there.

Besides, forgetting that cup sizes vary, you might prefer a stronger or weaker coffee than any markings in the bean cup would make.

Has any one tried those Death Wish coffee beans? If so, I'd be curious to hear what you though of them.

2018-06-21 22:25:10

So if a grind setting on an electronic grinder is set to 4 cups and has increments of two, that would approximately be enough grinds for four cups of brewed coffee then? I was just a litle confused about the terminology... and I will definitely be trying those death wish beans in the next couple weeks and will share impressions. I simply wanted thoughts on manual grinders... now that I've started grinding my own beans I would tend to agree that I prefer that better than preground coffee.

2018-06-21 22:50:49

The markings in the coffee grinder would be a good place to start, but remember that they are just meant to be a guide to get you started.

I haven't made the switch to grinding the beans myself yet, but with everyone I've talked to saying that it produces better tasting coffee, I more than likely will switch soon.

2018-06-21 23:54:07

I haven't had a chance to directly compare. I only grind beans at home and use a french press since I have no drip machine at home, but we use preground at work with the drip maker... I'll have to find a way to change things up a little. Maybe once I get a manual grinder that's more portable.

2018-06-22 00:52:59

I don't do coffee myself, but heard a lot of good in regards to death wish.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-22 01:26:22

Will be checking out death wish soon, it's on my list.

2018-06-22 02:01:17 (edited by Orko 2018-06-22 02:11:05)

I will probably be getting a grinder and those Death Wish beans in a couple of months when my current supply of preground coffee begins running out.

But I am not yet willing to give up my drip coffee maker, having to heat water separately just sound like a pain in the ass to me.

2018-06-22 02:53:42

You can still use your drip coffee maker, just make sure you get a grinder that lets you choose from different settings for coarseness. For drip or filtered coffee, I would go toward a medium grind, maybe a little on the finer side. But as always, experimentation is key.. but there's certainly no need for abandoning the drip machine!

2018-06-22 08:33:34

Funny Orko you mentioning heating water being a pest, I do understand this if you don't have an electric kettle but over here boiling water is held to be the easiest thing ever, there are even a lot of instant (things from cupper soup, to hot chocolate options and even instant pasta, albeit the ones that just involved adding boiling water tend on average to be pretty crappy big_smile.

As regards my own manual grinder, I tend to go on a ratio of double the amount of  in the grinder that I'd use for pre ground beans. So if I am making a single cafetiere's worth I use six tea spoons of beans on average, eight if I want it a bit stronger.

This sounds like a lot but it works out given the relative density of a tea spoon full of coffee beans vs a tea spoon full of ground beans.

Sadly, the grinder I have is one that's not on sale anymore. It used to be sold by wittards, the firm I got my coffee from, but shortly after I bought it they moved over to selling only electric grinders.
I actually quite like the process of grinding my beans by hand, it makes me feel like I'm doing something big_smile.

I got into the habit when I was invited for lunch by a very nice catholic priest as a teenager who offered me some ground coffee afterwards, then asked if I'd grind the beans while he washed up, ---- I thought "the lord helps those who help themselves" big_smile.

The funny thing is the coffee tasted amazing. That was when I started to look into the chemistry of the situation and found out how easy it is to denature coffee beans by excessive heat, even the heat caused by the friction of many electric grinders.

I will admit I don't grind my own coffee all the time, often I get it pre ground because I am lazy, but I tend to get a supply of beams as well so that if I am feeling more diligent I can grind them, and in truth it doesn't take long to grind the beans, indeed usually I have them all ground by the time the kettle is boiled.

2018-06-22 13:57:17

Hi.
i have a normal coffee maker by a company called Tassimo. The advantage is that they have different capsules available, things like coffee, tea, hot chocolate and so on.
You basically fill water into a tank at the top of the machine which lasts some time.
You place the capsule with the drink you want into the compartment and put your cup under the part of the machine where the drink gets poored from.
You just hit start and some seconds after that, you have your drink.
it might not be as good as reall ground coffee, but for me personally it tastes quite good.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-06-22 15:08:07

That sounds like a pod machine, and while pods may be convient, they are pricey when compared to just beans or ground coffee.

2018-06-22 20:30:27

Pods are definitely pricier. But they're good for a quick fix... my family has a nespresso machine, and most of them only use that.. I am the only one who actually cares about my coffee enough to grind them.

Dark, electric kettles do exist in NA as well, I just think they aren't as commonly used in households as they are in the UK, or heck, Asian households. Every Asian house I've been to they're a regular thing that's as commonplace as chopsticks, including my own house. tongue We have two of them.